NHL players and executives denied allegations by World Anti-Doping Agency president Dick Pound
this guys name alone, made it worth while to read

NHL players, execs deny Pound`s allegations of steroid use

Associated Press
Fri, Nov 25, 2005

LONDON, Ontario -- NHL players and executives denied allegations by World Anti-Doping Agency president Dick Pound that as many as a third of the league`s 700 players may take some form of performance-enhancing substances.

``I would respectfully suggest that Mr. Pound`s comments have absolutely no basis in fact,`` NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Canadian Press on Thursday. ``I find it troubling, to say the least, that he would find it necessary to comment on something he has absolutely no knowledge of.``

In an interview for a story published Friday, Pound told the London Free Press on Thursday that he spoke to league commissioner Gary Bettman and told him he thought there was widespread use of performance-enhancing substances in the NHL.

``I spoke with Gary and he said, `We don`t have the problem in hockey,``` Pound told the newspaper. ``I told him he does. You wouldn`t be far wrong if you said a third.``

Asked if he meant performing-enhancing drugs, the Montreal lawyer replied, ``Yes.``

NHL Players` Association executive director Ted Saskin bristled at Pound`s statement.

``Dick Pound`s comments are incredibly irresponsible and have no basis in fact,`` Saskin said. ``He has no knowledge of our sport and our players and, frankly, has no business making such comments.``

The NHL introduced random tests for performance-enhancing drugs in its new collective bargaining agreement. Players are subject to a minimum of two tests a year without warning. A first-time offender gets a 20-game suspension, a second offense calls for a 60-game suspension, and a third offense results in a lifetime ban.

``The NHL has reached a deal with their players that looks as though they found an early copy of the baseball policy on the floor somewhere,`` Pound said after addressing students at the University of Western Ontario`s law school.

``Who`s Dick Pound?`` Vancouver Canucks forward Todd Bertuzzi said. ``Tell him to come in our dressing room with our shirts off and we`ll see how performance-enhanced we are. Tell him he can come hang out with me and see my workout.

``Trust me, we`re not.``

San Jose Sharks defenseman Scott Hannan acknowledged that it`s possible some players take performance-enhancing drugs, but insisted Pound`s assessment is inaccurate.

``Am I naive in saying that nobody`s ever used it or nobody is? Probably,`` Hannan said. ``But as far as extensively, I think that`s a baseless comment.``