treeprotector
    treeprotector's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 638

Pro Pools

Hi all,

Been following these forums for a while now... love seeing everyone elses predictions for the games.

Figured I would join up and let everyone know my picks. I am not a big bettor... just do it for some fun and to drive my interest in games that the Leafs aren't playing... and my favourite thing are these Pro Pools we have from OLG (Ontario Lottery and Gaming)... $5 gets you a chance at some big money.

I have won the EPL (English Premeir League) and the NHL pool each once... both times there were plenty of winners so the payout wasn't too big but has kept me going for a long time.

How it works is they give you a list of games for the night (or two day period) - for hockey it is between 9 - 15 games and basically whoever gets the most right wins the pool. For example, if many people go 9/9 they all split the pool. The pool usually has about $80 -$100k in it (after OLG's cut). On standard nights, where the results are not too nuts you are looking at around 100 winners so $800-$1k a head. If like on tuesday where there were 13 games and a number of underdog wins (ANA beating DAL, MIN over SJ, NYI over DET, etc...) there were 7 winners (not me lol - I had two of the dogs but not NYI - never saw that blowout coming) for 16k a piece.

They also offer the option to "box" out games:

No box - $5
    1 box - $10
    2 box - $20
    3 box - $40
    4 box - $80

So I know I am competing against some ppl who have boxed out games and have a better chance then me. But I am happy throwing $5 at when it is offered (2-3 times a week). I love hockey so it's really not about the money... more about watching more games.

Anyways, lets get started! Tonight we got a lineup of 11 games. I will put in brackets where I feel strongly about the pick I am making and where I am picking because I got to pick a side. S = Strong / W = Weak.

Here are my picks:

1. BOS (S)
    2. OTT (W)
    3. PHI (S)
    4. TB (S)
    5. DET (S)
    6. NAS (S)
    7. STL (W - I love VAN but they going to be tired tonight and although its a big game for them - I don't think they will rise to the occasion.)
    8. CHI (W)
    9. SJ (W)
    10. CAL (S)
    11. DAL (W)

Good luck to all tonight!

gti175
    gti175's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1509

really? 11 game parley? Instead of wasting your time betting these lottery tickets, get a CC or as someone who has one to put money on an online book like pinny or bet 365 and you can enjoy gambling 100x times. Olg is crap, dont bother playing there scam lottery picks, and inflated lines

doogie24
    doogie24's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by gti175 View Post
    Olg is crap, dont bother playing there scam lottery picks, and inflated lines
    One of, if not THE reason I joined a book.

The poster mentioned that this is just for fun, which is fine. But if you are playing tickets regularly through OLG (3 game min parlay) than you are going to burn through money pretty damn fast.

whoever gets the most right wins the pool
    Am I wrong in saying this is not how it works? Ive been under the impression that you MUST hit all games to win the pool, so 9/10 gets you nothing. Again, I know its for fun, and 5 bucks here and there is no big deal for most. But hitting a 10 gamer in hockey is almost like winning the lottery... may as well just close your eyes and pick 10 teams.

I have alot of buddies that still make ProLine tickets almost every night. They hit once and a while on a 3 or 4 gamer, but for the most part are almost always ripping up their tickets. Why not take 2 of 3 or 3 of 4 every night to a book and make some money rather than none?

ImakeBets
    ImakeBets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by doogie24 View Post
    One of, if not THE reason I joined a book.

The poster mentioned that this is just for fun, which is fine. But if you are playing tickets regularly through OLG (3 game min parlay) than you are going to burn through money pretty damn fast.

Am I wrong in saying this is not how it works? Ive been under the impression that you MUST hit all games to win the pool, so 9/10 gets you nothing. Again, I know its for fun, and 5 bucks here and there is no big deal for most. But hitting a 10 gamer in hockey is almost like winning the lottery... may as well just close your eyes and pick 10 teams.

I have alot of buddies that still make ProLine tickets almost every night. They hit once and a while on a 3 or 4 gamer, but for the most part are almost always ripping up their tickets. Why not take 2 of 3 or 3 of 4 every night to a book and make some money rather than none?

You need to hit all games, say 10/10, UNLESS nobody gets 10/10 who bought a ticket, so it then pays out everyone who hit 9/10.

http://media.olg.ca/?p=nmm_major_win...8-a656422d1a0b

That link, was from week 15, 1 winner for the NFL Pro Pools. Guy won $874,000. That was the week Green Bay lost and Indy won (or whoever hadn't had a win yet).

I've actually been tracking NHL Pro Pools, in excel, I've been "making up pretend tickets" since November. I'd be up around $6,000 if I actually played them.

When there is 13 games on, the average pot has been $38,000. You can box out 11 games for $10,240. That mean if you pick 2 games correct, you would've profited ~$28,000 when there is 13 games on.

If anyone would like to see my spreadsheet, let me know
    Last edited by ImakeBets; 01-12-12 at 03:54 PM.

gti175

The only good thing about the olg is that they post nfl lines on Friday and most of the time there off come
    Sunday. Sometimes by a couple of points. But then you have the shitty payouts so that makes it not worth it. I think a 2 teamer on the spread pays +100.. Total
    Joke , over / unders are like -160 ..

ImakeBets

The only good thing about the olg is that they post nfl lines on Friday and most of the time there off come
    Sunday. Sometimes by a couple of points. But then you have the shitty payouts so that makes it not worth it. I think a 2 teamer on the spread pays +100.. Total
    Joke , over / unders are like -160 ..
    Yeah, they do offer shitty odds, like their odds for 2 even teams are like 1.75 a side...

But were talking about the Pro Pools...

In NFL week 11, I spent 80$ on a Pro Pools ticket. I boxed 4 games, I got 7 games right, + the 4 boxed = 11. All that was left was the 8 o'clock game and Monday game. So I hedged online, put $1000 on Philly, and they won, so I ended up with a profit just under $2200.

treeprotector

Play the Pro Pools for fun... never make parlay tickets with OLG... 1.75 / 1.70 for even teams... so much juice there.

Online books clearly own when it comes to the odds... tonight for example... CAR is getting 2.3 and TB is 1.4... online looks like you can get 2.45 / 1.57... so much better spots online. OLG is grabbing an extra 30 points or so.

I just like the pools. I didn't mean to offend anyone's sensibilities.

Bluedragon
    Bluedragon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 531

@doogie24

You don't need to hit ALL of the picks on an OLG "Pools" ticket. The player(s) with the most correct selections wins the pot. If there are multiple winners, the pot is shared accordingly. If the highest amount of correct selections is 8/14 and only one player hit at that rate, all the rest hitting 7/14 or lower, then the player with the 8 wins the pot. On the other hand, a normal OLG "ProLine" ticket is a multi-bet parlay, meaning every selection must be correct in order for the ticket to be graded a winner. There is no pot sharing, fixed odds/stake/win amounts. Someone please...share the pot.

The only decent things about OLG betting are the Pools tickets, and their lack of proactive odds movement. They may set lines, especially NFL, days in advance and they won't change by game time, often giving the bettor a multi-point advantage. I've seen 4 maybe 5 point differentials. However, the problem lies in the multi-game minimum parlay requirement so you may LOVE an underdog sitting at 5 points off the newly adjusted Vegas line, but you HAVE to parlay it with other selections, which the lines MAY ALSO be fuked up on, and possibly not in YOUR interest or favour. Other fixed odds are often ridiculously low, some home hockey teams have payed out as little as 1.15!! It's bonkers and the only way to beat OLG is hit "Pools" or be verrry sharp and take advantage of stale lines.

doogie24

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedragon View Post
    On the other hand, a normal OLG "ProLine" ticket is a multi-bet parlay, meaning every selection must be correct in order for the ticket to be graded a winner. There is no pot sharing, fixed odds/stake/win amounts.
    Yeah I knew about this, played ProLine casually for years before joining a book. I guess I was just under the assumption that you needed to hit all games in the Pools because someone usually does, I don't check the results of the hockey pools very often - is there usually at least 1 person to hit all of the games?

Meyefull
    Meyefull's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

I play pools with OLG pretty often. I would say 95+% of the time at least someone gets all correct. And if no one got perfect there would most likely be tons and tons of people who only get 1 wrong making you split the pot with like 500 people so you usually don't win big.

ImakeBets

Yeah I knew about this, played ProLine casually for years before joining a book. I guess I was just under the assumption that you needed to hit all games in the Pools because someone usually does, I don't check the results of the hockey pools very often - is there usually at least 1 person to hit all of the games?
    In NFL pools pretty much always there is atleast one person to get all games correct, but in Hockey there has been a couple times in the past 2 months where 11 correct out of 12 has won.

gti175

The original poster got 2 wrong I Believe, that's pretty good.

doogie24

Quote Originally Posted by Meyefull View Post
    I play pools with OLG pretty often. I would say 95+% of the time at least someone gets all correct. And if no one got perfect there would most likely be tons and tons of people who only get 1 wrong making you split the pot with like 500 people so you usually don't win big.
    Yeah this is what I presumed, rarely will the football pool winner have anything but perfect. Some easy weeks pay out under 1000 I believe. (still a great payout obviously, but nothing compared to the 800,000 we see sometimes.)

The original poster got 2 wrong I Believe, that's pretty good.
    Very impressive treeprotector! Tampa Bay and StL were the only losses

I know its stating the obvious, but last night illustrates just how much parity there is in the NHL, and how games can go either way on any given night. 5 of 11 games went to OT or a shootout, and 2 others were close 1 goal games until the end. I don't want to take anything away from the original poster, just more of a mini rant about how frustrating hockey can be at times... but it's fair to say that 9/11 could have just as easily been 5/11

treeprotector

Jan. 13 picks

Yeah this is what I presumed, rarely will the football pool winner have anything but perfect. Some easy weeks pay out under 1000 I believe. (still a great payout obviously, but nothing compared to the 800,000 we see sometimes.)

Very impressive treeprotector! Tampa Bay and StL were the only losses

I know its stating the obvious, but last night illustrates just how much parity there is in the NHL, and how games can go either way on any given night. 5 of 11 games went to OT or a shootout, and 2 others were close 1 goal games until the end. I don't want to take anything away from the original poster, just more of a mini rant about how frustrating hockey can be at times... but it's fair to say that 9/11 could have just as easily been 5/11
    no offense taken. I totally understand... everynight shit can go either way in hockey.

Last night... 11/11 had 49 winners of $2200 a head in the pro pool.

No pro pool tonight... I'm home sick from work so I had time to do some research and sign up to a sports book online.

You guys talk about units win / lost.

So my units will be $5.

I am 0-1 right now with that Pro Pool loss last night... and here are my picks tonight.

1 unit parlay (all games tonight) : WAS / PHX / TOR / PIT / EDM @ 19.36 odds

1 unit: EDM @ 1.81 odds

1 unit: PIT / FLO to go to Shoot Out @ 6.5 odds

GL to all!

treeprotector

Okay... I am back...! got busy at work and haven't been betting at all.

Tonight's Pro Pool Picks:

1) TOR
    2) BOS
    3) Boxed - PIT / NYR - I couldn't decide so I boxed (which I hate doing but meh).
    4) PHI
    5) NAS
    6) EDM
    7) WPG
    8) DET
    9) CGY
    10) OTT

So moral of the story go CANADA!!!!

treeprotector

2 off last pro pool. Staying close and feeling alright about my picks...

For tonight:

1) TOR (S)
    2) NYI (S)
    3) DET (W) - CLB is having a good run lately.
    4) WPG (S)
    5) STL (S)
    6) NSH (S)
    7) PHX (W)
    8) MIN (S)
    9) CAL (W) - Rivalry game - tough spot
    10) COL (S)

treeprotector

I haven't gone to the store yet... any comments before I do?

Legero
    Legero's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 436

Im on montreal hard. Don't know why, just got that feeling. Box it.

treeprotector

but MTL played yesterday... not that I am that confident in Leafs.. but seems like a good spot to win (@ home vs. bitter rivals)

What do people think of Nashville v Dallas?

ImakeBets

Jan. 24th Games...

13 games.... Last two times there were 13 games on the Pro Pools winnings, any winning ticket won $59,000 and $16,000. Avg. $37,000.

We could box 10 games, cost of $5,120. We then would need to pick 3 teams to win, say Vancouver and 2 others. If those 3 teams win, we have a winning ticket.

treeprotector

lol... but who has time to box all those tickets!!!

Picks for tonight's pool:

1) NJ
    2) TOR
    3) NYR
    4) BOS
    5) TB
    6) PHI
    7) PIT
    8) CHI
    9) ANA
    10) MIN
    11) OTT
    12) PHX
    13) VAN

Do we like these picks folks?

leafs_ducks
    leafs_ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4849

1. Nj
    2. Tor
    3. Wpg
    4. Bos
    5. Clb
    6. Fla
    7. Pit
    8. Nas
    9. Ana
    10. Col
    11. Ott
    12. Sj
    13. Van

ImakeBets

Quote Originally Posted by treeprotector View Post
    lol... but who has time to box all those tickets!!!

Picks for tonight's pool:

1) NJ
    2) TOR
    3) NYR
    4) BOS
    5) TB
    6) PHI
    7) PIT
    8) CHI
    9) ANA
    10) MIN
    11) OTT
    12) PHX
    13) VAN

Do we like these picks folks?
    I know a guy who does it in NFL... It's only 64 tickets you need to make out..

The pool this week was $106,000. 2 people won. So say we spent $5,120 and picked 3 games. Van, TB, NYR.

We would've won $35,000, minus the $5,120 buy in, that's $30,000 profit

Marcusso
    Marcusso's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have watched the complete pool and it seems that it is going to be a hard champion ship matches between the teams and i will wait for semi final and than final result.

Marcusso
    Marcusso's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcusso View Post
    I have watched the complete pool and it seems that it is going to be a hard champion ship matches between the teams and i will wait for semi final and than final result.
    Any comments

Tower Defense Games

treeprotector

Alright tonight we got a 13-game Pro Pool on tap... these are always juicy and with it being the first hockey pool in a week.. i expect a larger then average pool... maybe $120K in or so.

Anyways onto my picks...

1) BOS
    2) NYR
    3) WPG
    4) PIT
    5) CAR
    6) MTL
    7) WAS
    8) DET
    9) ANA
    10) COL
    11) CHI
    12) SJ
    13) NAS

Thoughts folks?

treeprotector

Slight change...

1) BOS
    2) NYR
    3) PHI
    4) PIT
    5) CAR
    6) MTL
    7) WAS
    8) DET
    9) ANA
    10) COL
    11) CHI
    12) SJ
    13) NAS

treeprotector

Another 13-gamer for Feb.1 and Feb.2...

My Picks:

1) NYR
    2) PIT
    3) FLA
    4) DAL
    5) LA
    6) BOS
    7) NJ
    8) NAS
    9) TB
    10) COL
    11) CHI
    12) VAN
    13) SJ

GL to all!

ImakeBets

Feb. 7

I pick NYR and PHI to win. I boxed all other games. Cost = $2,560.

PuckIt
    See Premonition Below
    PuckIt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Playing the Flyers or Caps always makes me nervous.

treeprotector

wow IMB!!! Good luck bro!

No box for me... took down the English Premier League Pro Pool for Feb.4-6 (along with 77 others)... small win of $143 but good enough for me (and my $5 bets) nonetheless.

My picks for tonight:

1) NYR
    2) PHI
    3) WAS
    4) MIN
    5) PIT
    6) STL
    7) TB
    8) VAN
    9) WPG
    10) DAL
    11) CHI

Good luck to all! But I am really pulling for you IMB! Go Rangers! Go Flyers!

killersweet
    killersweet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9409

Quote Originally Posted by treeprotector View Post
    wow IMB!!! Good luck bro!

No box for me... took down the English Premier League Pro Pool for Feb.4-6 (along with 77 others)... small win of $143 but good enough for me (and my $5 bets) nonetheless.

My picks for tonight:

1) NYR
    2) PHI
    3) WAS
    4) MIN
    5) PIT
    6) STL
    7) TB
    8) VAN
    9) WPG
    10) DAL
    11) CHI

Good luck to all! But I am really pulling for you IMB! Go Rangers! Go Flyers!
    goodluck dude. I am gonna give it a go as well. If u r gonna avoid some games, which ones would u pick?

Bulls55
    Bulls55's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20

You took all the favourites except for one, that being TB!! Might look into taking some road dogs, or home dogs!!!
    When was the last time 9 fav's won!!!!

BOL to you!!!

Fernburn74
    2018-2019 season
    Fernburn74's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13496

11 games in pools today i hit on sat 80 box 1407 with 48 winners and had 6 dogs that night and still all those winners the big pools in hky r when there r 13 games and u go spend 2560 o 11 game pools??????

what about if there is alot winners and you dont break even i thk its not worth that much money 2560 your better off putting it on a striaght play and make 2560 instead of losing your money!!!speciality with alot of great games today pure profit!!!

just a thought!!!!!

treeprotector

well my picks were bad... good point bulls55... I have a hard time picking dogs in these pools, but I definetly need to if I am going to win.

Last night was nuts... soo many dogs won. 10/11 was enough to win... 24 winners w/ 10/11 for $3500.

IMB... tough luck last night... feeling your pain dude.

12 Last