I'm discounting the value of a top goalie. Let's say that they are all the same. You may not agree, but I have a question about backups. The problem with a backup goalie is that he may not be accustomed to game situations, and maybe he'll give up an early goal or two because he isn't familiar with real game situations. Let's only look at a situation where there is a solid #1 goalie. Can I get any information about how the team will do when their backup starts the game, let's say that backup only plays every ten games or so? I think all goalies are the same, but the stars are stars because the team around them is really god so they get a lot of wins.

So my question is, anybody have any information about overall win percentage for a team who starts its backup goalie, where the goalie only plays very rarely? Not talking about situations such as Detroit where they are rotating Osgood and Conklin. I'm guessing these stats would be pretty obscure, but if you have any information relating to the problem I am talking about, where a goalie only starts every now and then. Will he lose because he is not game ready, or is it no problem at all for a goaltender who has not played many games, but only played a lot of practice, if he steps in how would he do in general? I don't really believe that there are great goalies, but if a team is really playing well together then any NHL goalie would be fine if he were in there on a consistent basis. So, what if you only start every ten games, are you going to be cold and lose because you aren't paying a lot of games, or can pro teams keep you hot simply during practice alone? Any input would be much appreciated.