rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead
    rfr3sh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 604

Soccer League Ratings

I know for college sports a lot of people can create rankings for the strength of each conference
    I am thinking of creating the same sort of thing for soccer, with the top flight european leagues that play in the champions league, my problem is i have no idea where to start. any general direction would be appreciated

SoV
    "Why always me"
    SoV's Avatar Become A Pro!

Squirrel
    Nutty Punter
    Squirrel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 223

Good luck with that mate, it's not an easy task - I spent about a month almost 7 years back trying to get exactly the same thing, but kept running into problems because the majority of leagues around Europe are sooo top heavy and there is so little competetive games between big clubs/big countries to really get a read on whats what -- all I managed to come up with was ratings that took an age to work out (even with a programmer helping me) and they came out VERY similar to the statto ratings that are already available freely online ... so I gave it up and moved on to something else.

SoV
    "Why always me"
    SoV's Avatar Become A Pro!

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

I would think another issue would be the type of games played.

In CBB, there a regular season games between conferences, which make comparing them a little more even.

The only time there are inter league matches in soccer are during tournaments in which strategy of how the game is played causes too much white noise in how the teams performed.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

The UEFA league coefficients, which determine the number of teams allowed from each country into the the Champions League and Europa League are more effective than anything I have managed to do myself.

bolekblues
    bolekblues's Avatar Become A Pro!

eurosport.com runs rankings on european clubs, weigheing each league and type of european competition.

Here is the latest one: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/080220...per-spurs.html