Slurry Pumper
    Slurry Pumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8796

Obtaining NFL Game Stats in a excel VBA programable format

Hi all,

Since the NFL moved to the current conference and divisional setup in 2002 I have been keeping line and O/U stats for every game in an excel spread sheet. Back then I was a complete novice with the excel but the database works and even allows me to parse out some information to aide in my sports investing.

This year since the league is adding a game per team and now that my excel skills have advanced, I thought I would update the 'ole excel database and see if I could find a website I can direct excel to go to and download all the game stats, such as passing yards, rushing yards, etc... I believe that there has to be a site somewhere that puts up consistent stats every week. Maybe even SBR for that matter. I already check the Odds page which has the play by play and all the stats listed, if SBR makes those stats available even in a simple .txt format, I can program a vba macro to update my database . Is there a way to grab all of those stats after the game is over so that my excel database can suck in the particulars of each game, or does anyone know a place that provides such info? Also could I grab past seasons worth of game stats if possible as well?

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18989

My Excel skills are very limited. I'm only 1 or 2 steps beyond the copy/paste level. If you can copy/paste or otherwise transfer the information you want from a .pdf to .xlsx then I would recommend the NFL.com Gamebooks as a source. Gamebooks can be found on the 'team & year' Wikipedia page. There is a link just below the tv announcers in the Game Summary box. Obviously this would be difficult to automate and would probably require you to update each game manually. (Best I can do).

Slurry Pumper
    Slurry Pumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8796

I'll have to look into it. If the data is put out in a consistent manner week after week. There may be so extraction and parsing value.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7298

Off the top of my head, football reference might be a good place to look. CBS sports has a decent format as well.

comet52
    comet52's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 850

nflgsis has gamebooks back to 1981, they are pdf's but might be scrapable. Ones prior to 1998 though are just hand or typewritten images. login media pw media fyi. They have more non-pdf stats for games back to 2016.

pro-footballreference moved all their free statistical info to a paid site called stathead.com Lots of stuff there if you want to fork over for it.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7298

Quote Originally Posted by comet52 View Post
    nflgsis has gamebooks back to 1981, they are pdf's but might be scrapable. Ones prior to 1998 though are just hand or typewritten images. login media pw media fyi. They have more non-pdf stats for games back to 2016.

pro-footballreference moved all their free statistical info to a paid site called stathead.com Lots of stuff there if you want to fork over for it.
    Look like you can read PDFs with python : https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/workin...les-in-python/

Probably relatively easy to scrape tables.