IrishTim
    IrishTim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

Question re: calculating value of half point

Obviously we have the half point calculator here for us to use in the major sports, but I have a quick question about how these figures were determined (and consequently, how you would compute the numbers if you were going to come up with your own 1/2 pt conversions for sports not listed).

Say, for instance, you had accurate data going back to 2000 and you wanted to determine the value/push probability of the 5 in the WNBA. Do you calculate the push probability based on how many times (what %) a team that closes at -5 wins by exactly 5, or is it simply the % of WNBA games that end with a 5 point differential?

I'm just using the WNBA as an example, but I would imagine it's the same for all sports. Or would it vary depending on sports that can have larger point differentials (such as in NCAAF where there are routinely non-conference games with a spread of 45) compared to NBA or NFL where they typically don't go above 14? Hope my question is clear enough, thanks for any help.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Read the chapter in sharp sports betting on 1/2 pts.

There isn't enough data to just use -5, you want to use a range of spread around -5. ie -4 through -6 and find how often they win by 5.

Totals do affect the value of points and that isn't reflected in the calculator. Generally, the less expected scoring, the more the pts are worth.

IrishTim
    IrishTim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

That makes sense regarding the range of numbers and impact of totals. Actually ordered Wong's book (along with a few others) from Amazon two nights ago, thanks for the rec.