Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2344

Pirates and Andrew McCutchen Agree on 6 year 51.5 million contract

didn't think they'd be able to sign him.

also has a club option for 2018

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wow, that is awesome. This is either a sign of the Apocalypse or maybe the actually beginning of something different finally in regards to keeping young talent. If Pedro Alvarez can figure out how to hit again, maybe there are some good pieces in place. Still cannot wait to see Gerrit Cole start working his way up. Saw that kid pitch for UCLA several times and I am a HUGE fan.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Alvarez and Tabata(also signed long term) turning the corner this year would be huge, and might be what the franchises small window of success starting in 2014 hinges on....

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Can't believe McCutchen wanted to stay

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

a step in the right direction for once.

WvGambler

The division is down this year. Need to make a move and at least break the streak.

EaglesPhan36

Good story on the Pirates MLB site about the signing, also states that three of their minor league squads made the postseason last year - so the system is no longer bare on talent .... just a matter of whether it translates to success in the Majors + keeping a decent amount of them locked up to longer term deals.

Totally agree about breaking the streak this year. I still think they need one more solid bat in the lineup to make everyone better.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    The division is down this year. Need to make a move and at least break the streak.
    I disagree, I say stay the course of the plan and put your eggs in a basket to bring an NL pennant or WS ring to the Pirates in 2016 or so.

I don't care about the .500 mark, I don't care about limping to a 10th wild card position or even winning the Central, only to get obliterated by superior pitching staffs in the playoffs.

after living in Chicago the last 8 years, I don't want to become one of these old old fans, that just wants ONE chance to see the Cubs win the WS before they DIE.

with the Buccos being Small Market with a horrible owner, they got a very small window to having a few years where they can be one of the 8 teams that could really be considered a WS champ contender..

McCutch
    Marte
    Bell
    Tabata
    Alvarez
    Cole
    Taillon
    Sanchez
    Allie
    Heredia

that needs to be their focus

WvGambler

I agree more than you think my comment states. However...having a winning record is insanely important for the city, the guys on this team and fan base. It shows that the front office is willing and able. They've made it clear that their spending will only go hand in hand with attendance. A winning record is a step further in the organization showing some accountability.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

last year they got off track and made deals at the trading deadline, that set them back...... look where it got us

trading for rentals this year is not gonna make the pirates a better team, they need to develop from within and spend the $ they used to spend on idiots like Matt Morris to us for contract extensions like we saw for McCutch and the other stars they will have soon.

WvGambler

I think you're referring to my use of the phrase "make a move". I wasn't actually referring to a roster move.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    I think you're referring to my use of the phrase "make a move". I wasn't actually referring to a roster move.
    yeah, I completely mis-understood that and interpreted it as trade for some D-LEE and Ludwick type vets....

my bad

yeah as far as winning this year????? I think it comes down to Alvarez finally putting it together, and the health of their staff.

last year their starting 5 stayed healthy and pitched above their heads into July, and most of us saw the crash coming from a mile away. too many innings for the young and old over achieving arms.

I would be surprised to see guys like Karstens, Correia, Mcdonald get knocked around with their weak stuff being seen quite a bit by the central and the NL in general now

WvGambler

Yea Correia just baffled everyone last year, and will certainly come back to earth. I expect Karstens to as well, but he has a better chance for success....mainly because he throws strikes. McDonald will be a good back of the rotation guy, but the Pirates are going to need to hit.

Tabata and Pressley are my keys. The Bucs can't score runs without getting those two on, due to a complete lack of power. I think Pedro gets it going this season. He needs to cut the bullshit of watching first pitch fastballs. I've never seen a hitter who is sooooo poor when behind n the count, yet refuses to swing with no strikes. I get working the count, and seeing pitches....but this guy needs to be treated like a little league player until he gets his confidence back: see a first pitch fast ball, hit it!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

having guys like Barmes and Mcgahee hit would be great too...

seems like it has been since the miracle 2003 season of Reggie Saunders, Matt Stairs, Kenny Lofton, Randall Simon

that we got a FA rental vet that actually hit

LineKrusher
    LineKrusher's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

The guy will be an overpaid chump in 2 years! What a waste......

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by LineKrusher View Post
    maybe....

but you don't see too many OVERPAID labels being put on MLB players@ 8.5 million a year these days

literally over 100 MLB players will make over 9 million dollars this year

WvGambler

Quote Originally Posted by LineKrusher View Post
    are you aware of what guys make these days? He didn't exactly break the bank.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Will he reach the playoffs in any of those seasons? I say that the Pirates make the playoffs B4 the Cubs ever get off the mat.

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Will he reach the playoffs in any of those seasons? I say that the Pirates make the playoffs B4 the Cubs ever get off the mat.
    alot of that depends on when/if Cole and Tallion are ready

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Presley, Hague, Marte a combined 9 for 10 today with HR, 3b, and 5 rbi from the plate tonight

HOPE

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7600

whether he broke the bank or not as the pirates you dont pay that much for players.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    whether he broke the bank or not as the pirates you dont pay that much for players.

gotta lock up the young talent long term at a discount price, before they reach arbitration

or you end up starting the cycle all over again, by trading A.M at the deadline for some prospects.

guy was gonna get 12 million in his first arbitration year anyways.

I hesitantly give the Pirates Front Office a B+ for their work over the last 3 years...... if they hadn't signed McCutch it would be a C

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

pirates are going to suck again. lol at hopeful pirate fans

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Guy not worth that much\
    His stats are not great for the salary he is getting
    baseball players so overpaid

gryfyn1

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Guy not worth that much\
    His stats are not great for the salary he is getting
    baseball players so overpaid
    you're and Idiot.

EaglesPhan36

If you ever want to get angry at the front office, go look at Dave Littlefield's Wikipedia page and look at the section about trades. Some of the shit that guy turned down is unreal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Littlefield

Outside of drafting McCutchen, his draft record was pretty damn terrible too.

gryfyn1

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    If you ever want to get angry at the front office, go look at Dave Littlefield's Wikipedia page and look at the section about trades. Some of the shit that guy turned down is unreal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Littlefield

Outside of drafting McCutchen, his draft record was pretty damn terrible too.
    I assume your referring to the 1st section which quotes random speculation about possibly trading for Howard, which is more likely not true anymore than about every team was linked to Howard with Thome blocking him at the time. Outside of that his record in unimpressive, but not terrible.

However, he should be panned for his inablilty to scout and develop players which cost them dearly for a decade

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post
    I assume your referring to the 1st section which quotes random speculation about possibly trading for Howard, which is more likely not true anymore than about every team was linked to Howard with Thome blocking him at the time. Outside of that his record in unimpressive, but not terrible.

However, he should be panned for his inablilty to scout and develop players which cost them dearly for a decade
    no he made some really bad trades and roster moves and had some horrible contracts on his watch.... I'd say his drafts were his bright spot actually.

Littlefield was a huge improvement over the previous guy cam bonifay, who was known to sign players to contract extensions after they had career ending injuries

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Pirates can trade McCutch now and have Starling Marte take his place...

8 straight hits now in spring training, HR's in two straight games....

jturn49
    jturn49's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4781

This will also help his trade value to any potential suitors in the next few years. He is a solid all around player at a fair price. I say good deal.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

.325BA, 11HR 36RBI, 11SB .388OBP, .596Slug%

Def worth the contract.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

def worth the contract!!!

can't wait to see gregory polanco in 2014!!!!!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

MVP??????

agendaman
    agendaman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14150

mccutcheon has taken alfredo marte under his wing so to speak alvarez needs to wake up p.s. anyone read that piece re the astros clearing $99 million their entire 25 man payroll is $13 million

12 Last