Machine Choice
    Machine Choice's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2736

The case for Duke

Yes, they are less experienced. Yes, Kaminsky is the best player in the nation and he's on the other team. Yes, Wisconsin now has Traevon Jackson finally healthy (11 ppg last year, 8.5 this year, 25 vs Duke in Dec). And yes, Wisconsin just beat the best team in the nation. But.......

Duke is 5-0 ATS in this tourney. They just beat Michigan State by 20 even though they only hit 2 of 10 treys. That shows they are not one-dimensional. They can beat you inside, outside, on defense, on offense. They are holding opponents to 55 ppg in this tourney. They basically spotted Mich State 8 points right out the gate and then destroyed them. This is the same MSU team that Wisconsin struggled with on both occasions, including an OT escape in Feb.

Duke beat Wisconsin in Madison in December. Everyone says that game doesn't mean anything now. The coaches say that because they have to. The media says that because they want you to be interested in tonight's game. Whatever. THAT GAME MEANS SOMETHING. It means that Duke, with three freshman starters, rolled into Madison and pushed Kaminsky, Dekker and Jackson around. Got in their faces, and hung a 63% FG shooting night in their lap in front of a packed house screaming for Duke to lose. They can rely on that tonight as a reminder of what they are capable of.

When Duke is at the top of their game, they can beat a team like Notre Dame 90-60, which they did earlier this year. They can go to a #6 ranked Lousiville and win by 11. Okafor is 6'11. Plumlee is 7'0, Winslow is 6'6. Duke matches up well here. They proved that against Gonzaga, Michigan State and Virginia (all physically elite teams). And....against Wisconsin. CHEESEHEADS, YOU DON'T GET MY BACKING IF YOU'VE ALREADY LOST TO THE TEAM YOU'RE PLAYING.

Finally, if anyone wants to fade Coach K in this spot, be my guest.....

DUKE +1
    Last edited by Machine Choice; 04-06-15 at 09:42 AM.
    Points Awarded:

saints1856 gave Machine Choice 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

survive
    and advance
    survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8560

Umm coach k has definitely lost in the title....1999

jayson311
    jayson311's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 354

Quote Originally Posted by Machine Choice View Post
    Yes, they are less experienced. Yes, Kaminsky is the best player in the nation and he's on the other team. Yes, Wisconsin now has Traevon Jackson finally healthy (11 ppg last year, 8.5 this year, 25 vs Duke in Dec). And yes, Wisconsin just beat the best team in the nation. But.......

Duke is 5-0 ATS in this tourney. They just beat Michigan State by 20 even though they only hit 2 of 10 treys. That shows they are not one-dimensional. They can beat you inside, outside, on defense, on offense. They are holding opponents to 55 ppg in this tourney. They basically spotted Mich State 8 points right out the gate and then destroyed them. This is the same MSU team that Wisconsin struggled with on both occasions, including an OT escape in Feb.

Duke beat Wisconsin in Madison in December. Everyone says that game doesn't mean anything now. The coaches say that because they have to. The media says that because they want you to be interested in tonight's game. Whatever. THAT GAME MEANS SOMETHING. It means that Duke, with three freshman starters, rolled into Madison and pushed Kaminsky, Dekker and Jackson around. Got in their faces, and hung a 63% FG shooting night in their lap in front of a packed house screaming for Duke to lose. They can rely on that tonight as a reminder of what they are capable of.

When Duke is at the top of their game, they can beat a team like Notre Dame 90-60, which they did earlier this year. They can go to a #6 ranked Lousiville and win by 11. Okafor is 6'11. Plumlee is 7'0, Winslow is 6'6. Duke matches up well here. They proved that against Gonzaga, Michigan State and Virginia (all physically elite teams). And....against Wisconsin. CHEESEHEADS, YOU DON'T GET MY BACKING IF YOU'VE ALREADY LOST TO THE TEAM YOU'RE PLAYING.

Finally, if anyone wants to fade Coach K in this spot (never lost a title shot), be my guest.....

DUKE +1
    Not saying it's a blowout or a lock but Badgers take this wire to wire. Duke ATS spread number is pretty meaningless here. Also they have not played one good team the entire tourney. How about Wisconsin? They have had 1 easy game. BADGERS WIN HERE. Duke was also imo mentally preparing for the Kats almost like a let down game for them

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

Quote Originally Posted by jayson311 View Post
    Not saying it's a blowout or a lock but Badgers take this wire to wire. Duke ATS spread number is pretty meaningless here. Also they have not played one good team the entire tourney. How about Wisconsin? They have had 1 easy game. BADGERS WIN HERE. Duke was also imo mentally preparing for the Kats almost like a let down game for them
    Duke played the tougher schedule over the entire body of work and they did so on the road. It's gonna be a great game. Sit back and enjoy.

And K has lost 4 title games.

jayson311

Quote Originally Posted by meader99 View Post
    Duke played the tougher schedule over the entire body of work and they did so on the road. It's gonna be a great game. Sit back and enjoy.

And K has lost 4 title games.
    Schedule at this point means about as much as who wears what color jersey. This is the championship, past is irrelevant, Wisconsin has peaked. Not even going a be a nail bitter imo

Machine Choice

Quote Originally Posted by jayson311 View Post
    Schedule at this point means about as much as who wears what color jersey. This is the championship, past is irrelevant, Wisconsin has peaked. Not even going a be a nail bitter imo
    Dekker averaging 20 ppg in this tourney but only 13 ppg over the season. If regression to the mean happens tonight and he takes a dip, or if Duke hits over 35% of their 3 pointers, Wisconsin will lose. Bank that.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

I don't see Bo Ryan losing to the same team twice. Badgers on a whole other level right now, they ain't coming back down.

jayson311

Again regular season means nothing, you are talking regression vs progression lol

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

Dekker averaging 20 ppg in this tourney but only 13 ppg over the season. If regression to the mean happens tonight and he takes a dip, or if Duke hits over 35% of their 3 pointers, Wisconsin will lose. Bank that.
    But why would regression happen tonight?

xdodger19
    xdodger19's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6219

Wisconsin is the best basketball team.

Book Crook
    Book Crook's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 673

it could def. be a big let down spot for Wisconsin. They had been waiting a year to get back on the court with KY and when they did they achieved a hard fought, emotionally draining win over a huge opponent. It will be hard to get back to that same level of intensity in just 1-2 day turnaround. Duke on the other hand comes in cool, loose, focused and also confident because they KNOW they can beat this badger team.

Duke has a great chance to win this game. They have also been playing outstanding basketball. I don't know if they pull it off, but the more I think about it the more my money sways towards duke.

beefcake
    Update your status
    beefcake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 178

Anyone see the reaction of both teas after their victories?? Duke was workmanlike and hardly celebrated while Wisky acted like they just won the title. Tells you something..

RavensFan2k3

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake View Post
    Anyone see the reaction of both teas after their victories?? Duke was workmanlike and hardly celebrated while Wisky acted like they just won the title. Tells you something..
    Tells you one team beat a team they werent supposed to beat and the other beat a team they were supposed to beat and won by 20

Machine Choice

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    Tells you one team beat a team they werent supposed to beat and the other beat a team they were supposed to beat and won by 20
    Except the team that Duke beat by 20 nearly beat Wisconsin twice

Machine Choice

I'm not saying this is a cakewalk for Duke. They could lose. But if you have to predict what will happen, there's more evidence for Duke than Wiscy. Everyone is high on Wisconsin right now and Duke has stayed under the radar. That's exactly how Coach K wants it.

leeyoo
    Update your status
    leeyoo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1207

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake View Post
    Great point, and looks like everyone here in SBR and the world are with Wisconsin - not GOOD! I was leaning Wisconsin but I may have to go Duke. Or perhaps, just enjoy the damn game for once...lol

meader99

Why wasn't wisky "supposed" to beat Kentucky? Line was 4.5. Not like it was some sort of earth shattering upset. Wisky had the perfect team to beat Kentucky from a matchup stand point. Everybody keeps selling MSU short for being a 7 seed, but that same 7 seed gave wisky Ll it could handle in the big 10 title game and I would go as far as saying MSU did more to lose that game than wisky did to win it.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

But why would regression happen tonight?
    Winslow

jayson311

I'm not saying this is a cakewalk for Duke. They could lose. But if you have to predict what will happen, there's more evidence for Duke than Wiscy. Everyone is high on Wisconsin right now and Duke has stayed under the radar. That's exactly how Coach K wants it.
    Evidence..... Lol �� if they don't get FTT in foul trouble they won't win

meader99

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    Winslow
    Will be the best player on the floor tonight.

RavensFan2k3

Nearly, but they didn't. They lost twice. The amount you win by doesnt matter. My Canes beat Duke at Duke by 16. Are they better than Duke?

RavensFan2k3

Quote Originally Posted by meader99 View Post
    Why wasn't wisky "supposed" to beat Kentucky? Line was 4.5. Not like it was some sort of earth shattering upset. Wisky had the perfect team to beat Kentucky from a matchup stand point. Everybody keeps selling MSU short for being a 7 seed, but that same 7 seed gave wisky Ll it could handle in the big 10 title game and I would go as far as saying MSU did more to lose that game than wisky did to win it.
    You think Wisconsin sees it as they were only 4.5 underdogs? They beat a team that they lost to a year ago and were 38-0. So you're saying Wisconsin had no reason to celebrate because they were only 4.5 dogs?

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

MSU should have won that game in the B1G championship, but the first meeting in Madison wasn't nearly as close as the score says. MSU was down by 25 most of the game, hit a buncha late 3s to make it look close and lose by like 8 or 9.

thefonzo
    thefonzo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5373

Quote Originally Posted by DOM_Toretto View Post
    MSU should have won that game in the B1G championship, but the first meeting in Madison wasn't nearly as close as the score says. MSU was down by 25 most of the game, hit a buncha late 3s to make it look close and lose by like 8 or 9.
    Thank you....bout time someone speaks up about the first Badger-Sparty matchup....

That said, I got a terrible feeling my badgers come up a bit short...

Keys to watch:
    1. Can wisky's guards limit dribble penetration (that's been our 1 glaring weakness on D against quicker teams. )

2. Hayes and Dekker...whichever one Winslow is NOT guarding must have a big game..those two were nonexistent when the 2 teams met in December.

3. Going along with #2, can Duke play smallball with Winslow at the 4? That makes them most dangerous on offense, but can they match up on D? I can't see Jones guarding Dekker or Hayes in the post.

Machine Choice

Plus Duke beat MSU by 20 and only made two 3-pointers. What happens if they hit 7 or 8 tonight? Thats a very real possibility and I'm sure it's a scary thought for Wiscy.

jayson311

Plus Duke beat MSU by 20 and only made two 3-pointers. What happens if they hit 7 or 8 tonight? Thats a very real possibility and I'm sure it's a scary thought for Wiscy.
    Pretty sure Wisconsin can hang if it's a 3 point fest... I thought Wisconsin hit over 10 in the tournament 1 game. You maybe right on who wins but reasoning is wrong

meader99

You think Wisconsin sees it as they were only 4.5 underdogs? They beat a team that they lost to a year ago and were 38-0. So you're saying Wisconsin had no reason to celebrate because they were only 4.5 dogs?
    Never said any of this. UW expected to win this game. They waited a year for it. Celebrate all you want. That game means nothing. Beating Kentucky won't help them Monday night, however, the emotional drain of everything they put into it may hinder them.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

I just bet Duke +100, here are my simplistic reasons:

1) Duke has not disappointed this tournament.
    2) Coach K is a legend.
    3) Duke is fast. Speed could be a factor in this game.
    4) Duke has talented ball handlers and playmakers.
    5) Duke perimeter shooting is confident.
    6) The pressure seems to be on Wisconsin.
    7) They are Duke.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Dick Vitale and Charles Barkley pick Duke.

Machine Choice

Colin Cowherd and Buster Olney are on Duke. Not that I care, but since we're name dropping now. And Colin is a degenerate gambler

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets
    EDDIE MONEY LINE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3311

Fuk Barkley and cowherd are a kiss of death

Machine Choice

From the start of this tournament, all I heard about was Kentucky, Wisconsin, Villanova, Virginia, Notre Same, Kentucky and more Kentucky. With some Arizona sprinkled in. NOBODY, AND I MEAN NOBODY, was talking about Duke in the media.

And now here we are. And Coach K is gonna march his mercenaries into that arena, with no fanfare, no drama, no hype. He'll jot down a few notes, shake Bo's hand, pat a couple players on the back, cross his arms, and stare into destiny. And Duke will go to work, ripping the soul from the Badger nation and square gamblers the world over.

Machine Choice

Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 06-10-15 at 11:54 AM. Reason: attachment does not found

survive
    and advance
    survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8560

From the start of this tournament, all I heard about was Kentucky, Wisconsin, Villanova, Virginia, Notre Same, Kentucky and more Kentucky. With some Arizona sprinkled in. NOBODY, AND I MEAN NOBODY, was talking about Duke in the media
    Dude what are you talking about? Stop making Duke sound like they're some Cinderella story. They've gotten plenty of attention throughout the entire season, including the tournament

Machine Choice

Quote Originally Posted by survive View Post
    Dude what are you talking about? Stop making Duke sound like they're some Cinderella story. They've gotten plenty of attention throughout the entire season, including the tournament
    Wrong. Not this year. Now all the pundits are scrambling to jump on the wagon. In between sucking off Kaminsky

12 Last