Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20519

Quote Originally Posted by KGambler View Post
    For most sports they charge a 1% commission for accepting the bet. They charge this commission on the lesser of the "to win" or "to risk" amounts.

Accepting a -103 bet would result in juice of -105.05.

If you bet $103 to win $100, you would actually be risking $104 ($103 + $1 commission) to win $99 ($100 - $1 commission).
    ok I concede, the -105 at 5D is very marginally better than accepting -103 at MB but for the same risk it is only about 6c in $100:

MB stake $99.03 (risking $100 with 97c. comm.) to win $95.18
    5D stake $100 to win $95.24

KGambler
    KGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    ok I concede, the -105 at 5D is very marginally better than accepting -103 at MB but for the same risk it is only about 6c in $100:

MB stake $99.03 (risking $100 with 97c. comm.) to win $95.18
    5D stake $100 to win $95.24
    Right. And on top of that, you would be able to bet much more on MB than on 5D, where the max bet for reduced juice is $500. I believe in your example the commission would be 95c though. But anyway, you are right. It is a very marginal difference.

The point is that he should not have to accept -103 though. It should be easier to get a better price, if he is patient.

The people who think you can't get better lines than Pinny at MB are just totally and completely clueless. Or maybe they don't have the time to bet in the hours preceding game time, or can't spend more than 30 seconds on any one bet...

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20519

r maybe they don't have the time to bet in the hours preceding game time, ...
    yes, this is very much the case and the biggest problem betting on exchanges for many I would expect

frequently I have to just take the best odds I can wherever I can find them or put up an offer at the odds I'm looking for because I can't be in attendance in the lead up to the event

if that's the case for me, it must be even more so for those who have a "day job"

Legions36
    Legions36's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7744

Right. And on top of that, you would be able to bet much more on MB than on 5D, where the max bet for reduced juice is $500. I believe in your example the commission would be 95c though. But anyway, you are right. It is a very marginal difference.

The point is that he should not have to accept -103 though. It should be easier to get a better price, if he is patient.

The people who think you can't get better lines than Pinny at MB are just totally and completely clueless. Or maybe they don't have the time to bet in the hours preceding game time, or can't spend more than 30 seconds on any one bet...
    If they cant make time to wait for a good deal so they could make some good doe then there doing something seriously wrong, like i said before thats why they complain cause they don't really know whats out there and how important match is.

losemyloot
    Update your status
    losemyloot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4175

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    yes, this is very much the case and the biggest problem betting on exchanges for many I would expect

frequently I have to just take the best odds I can wherever I can find them or put up an offer at the odds I'm looking for because I can't be in attendance in the lead up to the event

if that's the case for me, it must be even more so for those who have a "day job"
    This is exactly the case. I am not a pro and don't have the time it takes to become a pro. Basically a recreational gambler that has a full time job, kids, and wife. I just don't have the time to wait for a match on matchbook. I eventually will have an account at both 5Dimes and Matchbook but right now I just have enough extra dough to open an account at 1 or the other. With college basketball liquidity being weak at Matchbook I am kinda leaning towards 5Dimes.

Legions36

Quote Originally Posted by losemyloot View Post
    This is exactly the case. I am not a pro and don't have the time it takes to become a pro. Basically a recreational gambler that has a full time job, kids, and wife. I just don't have the time to wait for a match on matchbook. I eventually will have an account at both 5Dimes and Matchbook but right now I just have enough extra dough to open an account at 1 or the other. With college basketball liquidity being weak at Matchbook I am kinda leaning towards 5Dimes.
    You should make time cause your missing out.

Santo
    Santo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

If it's a (low-cost) hobby not an attempt to make money then it's fine; it's perfectly valid to rather miss out on Matchbook odds than time with the family etc...

Legions36

Quote Originally Posted by Santo View Post
    If it's a (low-cost) hobby not an attempt to make money then it's fine; it's perfectly valid to rather miss out on Matchbook odds than time with the family etc...
    Good point i guess your right.

First 12