ace878
    ace878's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 322

[RESOLVED] BetOnline Seizes $9,425 in Winnings 3 Months Later

In December, I bet an Odds Booster bet enough times to win $9,425. Normally, these bets are limited to $25, but I was allowed to bet it repeatedly.

It won, and I received the winnings. Last week, 3 months after the bets, a manager at BOL called me. He said I shouldn’t have been allowed to bet that much and the winnings would be removed.

I pointed out that my bets wouldn’t have been returned had I lost. In fact, in October, I bet a different Odds Booster bet many times and lost. I didn’t receive a refund or expect one, so why should this be any different?

It’s true that I exceeded the standard limit for this type of bet, and I probably shouldn’t have done that. But clearly my money was at risk, and canceling bets only if they win is wrong.

Do I have any options for a dispute?
    Last edited by Optional; 07-06-23 at 12:11 PM. Reason: add resolved tag

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47650

So you made just short of 400 $25 bets?

Seems way beyond reasonable and you are pretty much just going to get freerolled going to the extreme like that.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

I’ve always been in the camp that if they accept the bet they should accept the consequence, but if you intentionally circumvent the rules, knowing you shouldn’t, then I start to side with the book.

My recommendation in these situations is to call the book after you made the second bet to verify you were allowed.

Making an excessive amount of repeated bets was asking for trouble in a sense. Amazing it took three months for them to figure out. Did they do a review because of a withdrawal request?

Also, you may not be the only one in the situation.

ace878

I made 116 $25 bets.

There was a 1 minute delay between each bet, and the line was open all day long.

BOL had hours to move the line, close it, or even cancel all the bets pregame, and that would have been OK.

But waiting until postgame to cancel is obviously open to abuse.

Like I said in OP, I made duplicate losing bets before with no refunds given.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Yeah, it’s clear BOL messed up here.

And now they’re trying to make up for it. I’m sure they’re evaluating the software.

Conveniently they mess up in a way that they can free roll you. Might be hard to get this decision reversed because it was likely a computer error. There is a place to go for offshore dispute resolution and BOL has twitter.

So the winnings were removed, but did they refund your original bets?

Thefix13
    Thefix13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2708

Quote Originally Posted by ace878 View Post
    I made 116 $25 bets.

There was a 1 minute delay between each bet, and the line was open all day long.

BOL had hours to move the line, close it, or even cancel all the bets pregame, and that would have been OK.

But waiting until postgame to cancel is obviously open to abuse.

Like I said in OP, I made duplicate losing bets before with no refunds given.
    So to be clear, you finessed their rules and made almost 10 k but for some unbelievably dumb reason maintained a balance big enough afterwards and/or continued to play and gave them the chance to "seize" this money months later. Greed is a wonderful thing.

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2264

Quote Originally Posted by Thefix13 View Post
    So to be clear, you finessed their rules and made almost 10 k but for some unbelievably dumb reason maintained a balance big enough afterwards and/or continued to play and gave them the chance to "seize" this money months later. Greed is a wonderful thing.
    If he had cashed it out immediately they would have done the same thing they are doing now

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Yeah, I asked in one of my posts if they did a review because of a withdrawal request.

It sounds like they discovered the error and started calling the relevant accounts.

BOL May have lost some money here because of other withdrawals from other customers. We just don’t know if they knew the error way back when. It almost sounds like they discovered it inadvertently.

I mean, when the account has 100 $25 bets on one issue, especially a booster that should’ve been an immediate flag.

Just how clear is it or was it that you were limited to $25 bets. When you include October, this is two instances where you smashed in Odds booster.

By the way, the free roll just leaves a bad taste in my mouth but BOL is still an excellent out.

ace878

BOL didn't remove the original bet amounts, just the winnings.

I didn't cash out sooner because of rollover, which I only completed a few days ago.

The phone call from BOL happened before any cash out attempts.

The man on the phone actually said he would've refunded me if the bets had lost.

The next day, I got on live chat and spoke to a manager.

I asked for a refund for the October losing duplicate bets, and of course I was turned down.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: KVB

DISTROYA
    DISTROYA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2114

jeez wtf did you bet over and over?

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    So you made just short of 400 $25 bets?

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9149

I didn't cash out sooner because of rollover, which I only completed a few days ago.

The man on the phone actually said he would've refunded me if the bets had lost.

I asked for a refund for the October losing duplicate bets, and of course I was turned down.
    I think you have them over a barrel logically with the previous shot attempt losing, the manager saying they would have voided even if you had lost, then refusing to do it.

But, all offshores have a policy of letting shot takers free roll themselves, and trying to get over 2.5K on a $25 limit market sure is a big time shot.

Dave Mason might be the best option to ask, but honestly do not think they will change decision when it's so blatent.

ace7550
    ace7550's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7772

You should get to keep your winnings or get the October losing bets refunded. They can't have it both ways.
    You can file a complaint at BMR but they have been very slow to help people as of late.
    You are probably just out that money unfortunately.

ace7550

I will say I've often times wished I could rebet those booster bets. Don't think I could restrain myself if BOL gave me the option. Don't know if I would have done it 100 times though

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by ace7550 View Post
    I will say I've often times wished I could rebet those booster bets. Don't think I could restrain myself if BOL gave me the option. Don't know if I would have done it 100 times though
    And that's fair enough.

But when you take a shot, sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't.

I think the majority of people understand that and just accept it when it goes bad.

ace7550

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    And that's fair enough.

But when you take a shot, sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't.

I think the majority of people understand that and just accept it when it goes bad.
    Agreed. A little confusing with BOL though because you are allowed to rebet everything else as much as you want.
    Obviously ace878 knew what he/she was doing though.

ace878

I did know what I was doing, and I suppose it was a poor idea.

I was prepared to lose that money though and had no intention of asking for it back.

I just don't like books not only not paying for their mistakes, but profiting from them as well.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ace7550

Frank
    Frank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9825

Did they claim it was a bad line?

Or was it just they had a problem with you re-betting it?

ace878

The problem was the re-betting, not the line itself.

ace7550

I'm trying to find where on BOL it says that you can't bet their daily boosters more than once? If you hit max bet it enters $25, but it doesn't say you can't rebet it. You're certainly allowed (even encouraged) to rebet other options after you max bet it.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

I'm trying to find where on BOL it says that you can't bet their daily boosters more than once? If you hit max bet it enters $25, but it doesn't say you can't rebet it. You're certainly allowed (even encouraged) to rebet other options after you max bet it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    ...Just how clear is it or was it that you were limited to $25 bets. When you include October, this is two instances where you smashed in Odds booster...
    I was asking the same. Not a big odds booster user myself. In fact, we avoid them, usually.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

It's all in the fineprint of the promo. The $25 limit is so that the line woudn't move by a lot when you bet it. But does it say in the promo fineprint that you can only bet it once? Without a screenshot of the promo you bet and the fineprint rules I can't side with the gambler or the book.

ace7550

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    It's all in the fineprint of the promo. The $25 limit is so that the line woudn't move by a lot when you bet it. But does it say in the promo fineprint that you can only bet it once? Without a screenshot of the promo you bet and the fineprint rules I can't side with the gambler or the book.
    It's not really a promo. They offer odds booster bets every day.
    >BOL
    >Other Sports
    >Odds Boosters

Optional

Agreed. A little confusing with BOL though because you are allowed to rebet everything else as much as you want.
    Obviously ace878 knew what he/she was doing though.
    Good point.

But I would guess it says $25 max somewhere. Apart from 99.9% of BOL customers knowing what is intended.

It's not like you can force BOL with regulations, or make technical rulings about rule wording semantics. We have to have a reasonable argument. And to be fully fair. BOL act reasonably in response to a reasonable argument usually.

Frank
    Frank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9825

I would assume they have to have something in the rules somewhere.

They, at times, offer pretty much free money boosters that tie up money for a long time like "Will the Chiefs score 1 point in NFL week 1"

I'm sure they definitely would not allow someone to empty their account re-betting those types.

ace7550

Ok, so where's the rule?

jedihyoju
    jedihyoju's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3543

I think books do these thing on purpose sometimes to take advantage of people's greed

and freeroll us.

Herky
    Herky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4589

Guy knowingly scams BOL daily booster,
    Guy gets caught on his free roll,
    Guy signs up at SBR to cry about scamming one of the best offshore books.

KS1986
    KS1986's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9588

I woulda completed that rollover the next day and cashed out

infotimbo
    infotimbo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9860

Ok, so where's the rule?
    I can't find anything about it in their rules. And on the "wagering limits" page it says "Once a specific limit has been reached, it can re-bet every time the odds move and/or every 61 seconds", not specifically excluding any promotional offers.

ace7550

It's an interesting case. On one hand, OP knew that the booster was only meant to be bet once per player. On the other hand, there is no rule against it and their site actually encourages players to rebet after a limit has been reached.
    I can see both sides. What I can't see is BOL keeping the money when the player loses and confiscating the money when the player wins. BOL needs to refund his losses or credit his winnings. Case Closed.
    Points Awarded:

infotimbo gave ace7550 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Herky
    Herky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4589

It's an interesting case. On one hand, OP knew that the booster was only meant to be bet once per player. On the other hand, there is no rule against it and their site actually encourages players to rebet after a limit has been reached.
    I can see both sides. What I can't see is BOL keeping the money when the player loses and confiscating the money when the player wins. BOL needs to refund his losses or credit his winnings. Case Closed.
    wrong - you can only bet a booster once as their software will tell you that you've reached the maximum on the bet when you retry - he exploited a glitch and knowingly bet a booster over 100x and is lucky he's account wasn't locked and all funds taken from him. He also said this was not the first time he's cheated them. BOL owes him nothing and he's lucky the account isn't locked.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

what was the bet on? sorry if you said it already

knowing how BOL is with these easy win bets I side with the book. they tell you a max when you click the info. i do not blame you though for trying. maybe doing less bets would have snuck thru.

ace878

The bet was Tom Brady 25+ completions and 2+ TD passes.

Definitely not a free win.

infotimbo
    infotimbo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9860

Quote Originally Posted by pologq View Post
    knowing how BOL is with these easy win bets I side with the book. they tell you a max when you click the info.
    they do so for every normal bet as well, though, and you're still allowed to place the same amount again, as often as you want.

Personally, I have never used that boost feature, for example. How would I know, that I am only allowed to place one bet? If they had a rule saying so, clear thing, but if they don't, I really see no reason to confiscate the money.

123 Last