djefferis
    djefferis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 437

Thoughts on a bad line error...

Book offers islanders +250 ML tonight...so I bet it to limit. Its between +190-+220 elsewhere, so its a good price and mabeye theres some news just breaking that they are aware of (besides Vokoun starting in net tonight).

Now book sends a message..bets canceled..you can have it at +195 though..is this fair?

Now if its a clear error..say Pens +250..I agree, its valid...but when you offer a 20 cent off price from the next best available..is it truely a bad line?

Wonder if they canceled the Pens -300 bets too...

Not naming the shop...they've been fair to me in the past..and I let my contact there know. They could have waited to game time and canceled 30 seconds prior to start..so they were upfront about the change...just curious as to opinions on this manuever.

Oh, and by the way this is standard ML/OT counts and not an exotic/regulation only wager...so its pretty easy to compare to other shops offerings.

touchback
    touchback's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am thinking it is definitely not a bad beat and they should of eaten it but it really came down to how lopsided the house was on the line in the end and they always have this option in the TERMS and CONDITIONS, so what can you do other than just take it.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

There was a thread about this in the think-tank

Completely at the books discretion, there is no quantifiable number that separates a "bad" line from a stale line.

djefferis
    djefferis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 437

Understand and appreciate the feedback. Agree there is no set number or percentage that seperates a bad line from bad linesman judgement...its all based on the sniff test..if it smells rotten, it probably is.

Terms and conditions are notoriously vague...you get to specific, you rule out possible defenses...to wide and an ambiguity can be argued in a player favor.

As to this dispute..we settled on +220...halfway between the offered price and current market price. Fair to both in my opinion, im happy to take the value in the dog here with a 2nd stringer starting for pittsburgh.

benandjerry
    benandjerry's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'd feel ok with a void (wouldnt hit it in the first place) considering its never been close to that price in the first place. Price wise its pretty borderline if I'd define it as a "bad" line or not.

Maniac
    Maniac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8815

+250 is probably closer to a mistake or bad line rather than a stale line since the market price hasn't been that high yet, so it's not like they hung a price and then didnt react to the market move. Also, looking around +250 would still be a decent sized arb with a lot of books right now so I can imagine that they have been hammered on that line, but it is in a grey area in terms of how big a mistake it actually is compared to the market.

+220 seems a decent compromise under the circumstances as it is +211 at pinnacle as I type this.