thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Evan Mathis, ex nfl player, has to be one of the worst players I ever saw

This was on nbc sports last night. 6 handed 100/200. It was him, 3 other random guys, Jen Tilly, Antonio Esfandiari.

He was in a hand against the one old guy who made it 800 with KJoff he flat called the button with AJoff. Flop was 3h10hjx. Old guy bets 1600 he makes it 4000, gets called. Turn 9x checks through. River 2h. Old guy bets 3500 into exactly 10k and he folds. I know a lot got there, but the old has to have QJ and JK a lot, maybe another AJ for a chop. I could see folding to a bigger bet, but that seemed awful.

So he nits it up there, and then proceeds to frequently try and bluff Antonio off hands, and never succeeds. Gasses off probably 60k at least. Makes no sense to go after him at such a weak table.

Just wondering if anyone saw this or any other time he played.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

The one former NFL player I've played with was Def Tackle Richard Seymour.

Let's just say that he wasn't the 2nd coming of Stu Ungar. Stacked off w/ 99 vs AA on a AKK board vs an Old Guy.

Old Guy says: "If u have pocket Kings...I have to pay u off."

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47529

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    This was on nbc sports last night. 6 handed 100/200. It was him, 3 other random guys, Jen Tilly, Antonio Esfandiari.

He was in a hand against the one old guy who made it 800 with KJoff he flat called the button with AJoff. Flop was 3h10hjx. Old guy bets 1600 he makes it 4000, gets called. Turn 9x checks through. River 2h. Old guy bets 3500 into exactly 10k and he folds. I know a lot got there, but the old has to have QJ and JK a lot, maybe another AJ for a chop. I could see folding to a bigger bet, but that seemed awful.

So he nits it up there, and then proceeds to frequently try and bluff Antonio off hands, and never succeeds. Gasses off probably 60k at least. Makes no sense to go after him at such a weak table.

Just wondering if anyone saw this or any other time he played.
    Mathis made a bunch of money in his career, he can afford it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    The one former NFL player I've played with was Def Tackle Richard Seymour.

Let's just say that he wasn't the 2nd coming of Stu Ungar. Stacked off w/ 99 vs AA on a AKK board vs an Old Guy.

Old Guy says: "If u have pocket Kings...I have to pay u off."
    Seymour has actually had some pretty good tournament results and has been taught by some really good players.

I played in a local tournament years ago and was sitting next to Chargers DT Jamal Williams. Needless to say, I was a bit cramped he took up a lot of space.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Yeah, I have heard Seymour is pretty good, though I really haven’t seen him play. Quite possible he was terrible and got coached.

Mathis sold a Mickey mantle rookie card for like 2.5 mil or something crazy. To see him play so tight against the old man and just throw money around against the best one at the table seemed to be an odd strategy, almost like a team up 10 going no huddle with 4 minutes left. I would understand if he was putting pressure on everyone but that wasn’t the case.
    Last edited by thetrinity; 01-05-21 at 01:22 PM.

JAKEPEAVY21

Yeah, I have heard Seymour is pretty good, though I really haven’t seen him play. Quite possible he was terrible and got coached.

Mathis sold a Mickey mantle rookie card for like 2.5 mil or something crazy. To see him play so tight against the old man and just throw money around against the best one at the table seemed to be an odd strategy, almost like a team up 10 going no huddle with 4 minutes left. I would understand if he was putting pressure on everyone but that wasn’t the case.
    From what i remember, he played in a bunch of high roller tournaments and became friends with a lot of the wizards.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    From what i remember, he played in a bunch of high roller tournaments and became friends with a lot of the wizards.
    I assume you’re talking about Seymour?

JAKEPEAVY21

I assume you’re talking about Seymour?
    yep