JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3691

Hexversi Puzzle #7. Multiple Choice. 1st correct guess Wins 50 Points.

1 guess per person. If you guess a 2nd time, your 2nd guess will be ignored. First correct guess Wins 50 Points.

Instead of putting a cap on how many times you can Win, the way I am going to do it is, however many times you have Won already, you have to wait for that many number of guesses before you can make your guess. For instance, if you have Won twice already, for this particular puzzle, you have to wait for at least 2 people to guess, before you can make your guess or else you will be DQ'd. I'll list the puzzle Winners and how many times they've Won at the bottom of this post.

Hexversi has the exact same rules as Othello except the board is shaped like a hexagon and there is a dead spot in the middle of the board as seen in the image below. You cannot play through the dead spot, you must play around it. If you do not know how to play Othello, I recommend that you watch the minute and a half video below, and you will know ALL of the rules.

What's the best move for Purple?(feel free to take a guess)

I've added a 100 Point bonus for the first 10 players that post a screenshot of themselves beating this AI in the link below. Take the screenshot before your last move of the game so the AI doesn't block the image. Three people have beat the AI so far. They are: Housemoney, jackpot269, and Ian. Well done gentlemen!

http://meta-site.net/hexlo/?fbclid=I...xXgSGPufKWHqTE

I'll keep this going until 10 people beat it. You can only win this ONCE. AND, you can't use someone else's screenshot. In other words.... it has to be a unique configuration. This is NOT a strong AI. It's VERY aggressive. Aggressive play is EASY to beat once you know how to deal with it.

Here's some hints to how games are Won. Games are NOT won by gobbling up as many pieces as you can on every single move. This is a TERRIBLE strategy. Games are won by trying to run your opponent out of options/moves entirely, and forcing them to give you a corner. Whomever has more options/moves, is ALMOST ALWAYS winning the game, regardless of what the score says.

When it comes to piece count, you'll usually want to think "less is MORE", until you can get a corner. Try to keep your pieces INSIDE of your opponents pieces. This will create MORE options/moves for you.

Once you run your opponent out of options(good ones at least), then you get to dictate the direction of the game, and getting your piece count up high and winning the game after that is easy. Good luck!

Here are the past Puzzle Winners so far:

blankoblanco 2
    Ian 2
    gauchojake 1
    Optional 1

SEAHAWKHARRY
    Northern Lights
    SEAHAWKHARRY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2385

C5.

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by SEAHAWKHARRY View Post
    C5.
    Nope

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8377

F8.

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by jackpot269 View Post
    F8.
    Nope

blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29958

c4 looks good to me
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave blankoblanco 50 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by blankoblanco View Post
    c4 looks good to me
    We have a Winner!

Purple playing c4 as seen below, creates a move for Purple at the SE corner at f1. Leaving Green with exactly 3 options, none of which are any good, with c5 arguably being Green's best move, but this is also terrible, because if Green plays c5, once Purple plays f1, Greens only move will be k2, which will give Purple the Eastern corner at k1. And if Green plays b5, Purple will still get the SE corner at f1, but now Purple will also get the SW corner as well. k2 is bad no matter what because it gives Purple the Eastern corner.

Long story short, Green doesn't have a good response to c4 and it gives Purple the SE corner, and an it's an easy Win for Purple from here on out.

Here's a few moves later. This is after Green played b5, Purple took the SE corner with f1, Green played c5, Purple took the SW corner with a6, Green played k2, Purple took the Eastern corner with k1, and that's where we are at below. Green has exactly one move/option as seen below. Purple has 12 if I counted correctly. From here, Purple can pick and choose which moves to give Green and simply push Greens pieces West.

blankoblanco

Thanks again John

This wasn't one of my games, was it?? I'm asking because it actually looks very familiar/similar to a game I recall playing not too long ago, including the unusual end board with the empty spaces

JohnGalt2341

Edit
    Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 09-14-22 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Double post by accident

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by blankoblanco View Post
    Thanks again John

This wasn't one of my games, was it?? I'm asking because it actually looks very familiar/similar to a game I recall playing not too long ago, including the unusual end board with the empty spaces
    No, this was an old Ladder game between Andy and myself from 2012. I didn't realize how badly I beat him and the unusual final board with the empty spaces until I had already made the puzzle. And then when I looked at the final board I was like... "Damn, what a cool looking final board!"

https://www.itsyourturn.com/pp?gm&g=15300054488584&m=42&u=1520000006 1447&t=1&gn=97

blankoblanco

Ah, cool! Yeah, I figured it was unlikely but it did remind me a lot of a board I had like that one, and I had the same thought when it happened