eaglesfan371
    The great game of POT...LIMIT...OMAHA
    eaglesfan371's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

Insane poker thinking - what the heck

Guy makes a youtube channel and posts poker videos. I watched a couple and enjoyed his analysis until this one...

Heads up play in a tournament. Hero looks down at A9 off, 15 blind stack, button opens for 2.5x blind, he calls. Villian is recreational player. Villian has 20 blind stack.

Flop comes x x x, whiffs flop, checks, button C-bets, he folds.

I tell him 3 bet all-in here preflop would be the better play instead of calling out of position, likely all in to pick up the chips pre. You don't want to risk 1/6 your stack out of position with a semi marginal hand like A9 off but you definitely can shove profitably against his possible range which includes hands like J10ss, QJ, KJ, KQ, Ax ss, etc or worse.

He then tells me that he disagrees with 3 betting here, agrees he should not have called, but instead tells me he should have FOLDED. He argues his post flop play in position will allow him to win this match and not flip here.

I don't know why this one got me ranting a bit but wow how exploitable are you going to be if you're folding an Ace pre short stack Heads up play.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by eaglesfan371; 03-20-19 at 06:13 PM.

ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3427

If this is heads up it's an auto shove. Heads up meaning no one else at the table...Otherwise what position is hero? How many left at table? I'm folding A9 Everytime unless it folds to me in the BB and have a solid read on my opponent.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

this is a fukkin rookie thread

eaglesfan371

It is heads up play

Sorry if I did not make that clear. Thats what I'm saying, you NEVER fold here with stacks being so short and heads up. Shove to realize fold equity rather than call out of position.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Most poker pros are eating BOGO rotini noodles with Great Value pasta sauce

eaglesfan371

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Most poker pros are eating BOGO rotini noodles with Great Value pasta sauce
    I argue 99% of "professional gamblers" are living degenerate, depressed, single, isolated lives. Gamble for a hobby, not a living.

Do not want to argue that one though, not trying to go down that rabbit hole.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Heads up, that’s a shove yeah. Think that’s pretty standard. Not sure why you call there just to fold if you miss the flop.

dsgator55
    dsgator55's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6346

Eaglesfan I’m getting into poker pretty big. I’m a NLHE player I usually play $2 $5 or $5 $10. I love the game and picking my spots.