ans61201
    ans61201's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4181

Quote Originally Posted by KiDBaZkiT View Post
    That gets you the biggest contract in pro sports history? Let's remember Mike Trout has never won a god damn thing at the major league level and his team misses the playoffs every year and is usually never even close by June. When was the last time Mike Trout put a team on his back like we have aeen SO MANY major league stars do that were on shitty teams?
    One baseball player who pitches every 5 days or bats every third inning does not put a team on his back 😂

ans61201
    ans61201's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4181

Bud it's called a salary cap and luxury tax.
    Clearly again don’t understand baseball. There isn’t a salary cap. The competitive balance tax is not going to affect a team in southern Cali. Trout will basically slide into what Pujols was already making. The guy isn’t overrated. The contract probably won’t end well, as with guys not on the juice anymore late 30s early 40s all stars just rarely happen.
    Points Awarded:

DA_MOSS gave ans61201 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

trout one of all time greats

Harper a nobody

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

The Angels are a business and Trout is the best in the business. I'm sure the ROI on this contract is ridiculous.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    The Angels are a business and Trout is the best in the business. I'm sure the ROI on this contract is ridiculous.
    thread over

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Quote Originally Posted by funnyb25 View Post
    Angels actually have a good farm system now. They have a ton of options with finances as well. We will be very competitive again here soon.
    Exactly

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

Lol. You guys have all been programmed.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Admit it you WEENIES, you like Trout cuz he has never flipped a bat or charged a mound in his life cuz he is a fukking PUSSY!

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by ans61201 View Post
    One baseball player who pitches every 5 days or bats every third inning does not put a team on his back 😂
    Lol you Mike Trout apologists are pathetic. Mark Derosa just yesterday was referring to this and some of the guys he played with like Jose Bautista that "Put teams on their back?" but he played in the bigs so you would know better than him right with your Zeke avatar right?

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

No. Offshore wagering. Learn to read if your gonna follow me around.
    I don't follow you around

My mistake, carry on

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

LeBron is actually the most overrated athlete of all time

lakerboy

Wrong. He is an actor and political figure.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Fight the power

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

No. He is constantly compared to Michael Jordan and doesn't measure up. Nobody ever says one negative thing about Trout ever he literally is referred to only as "The best in the game." Guy puts up numbers on a shitty team that is never in contention. If Trout had any brains (Which he doesn't) he would of waited 2 years for the New York Yankees. End of story.

Matt17
    PocketTens on WSOP.com
    Matt17's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 387

No, Jim Brown is the most overrated athlete of all time. He would get destroyed in todays NFL.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

No. He is constantly compared to Michael Jordan and doesn't measure up. Nobody ever says one negative thing about Trout ever he literally is referred to only as "The best in the game." Guy puts up numbers on a shitty team that is never in contention. If Trout had any brains (Which he doesn't) he would of waited 2 years for the New York Yankees. End of story.
    So you're a salty Yankee fan. Got it.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

No , Peyton Manning is.

Regular season QB, beat Rex Grossman and the bears for his SB (you can count denver where he was finished and threw like 15 times, ok)

Always, and I mean always lost to Brady/any game that was below 50 degrees or outside in the playoffs.

The guy is charming, white, and a protypical dude type so we shower him because of all the regular season records.

Dude is SO overrated.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

So you're a salty Yankee fan. Got it.
    Jakers you seem real simple lately. I am a Pirates fan, prob about as far from the Yankees as a franchise as possible.

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by thechaoz View Post
    No , Peyton Manning is.

Regular season QB, beat Rex Grossman and the bears for his SB (you can count denver where he was finished and threw like 15 times, ok)

Always, and I mean always lost to Brady/any game that was below 50 degrees or outside in the playoffs.

The guy is charming, white, and a protypical dude type so we shower him because of all the regular season records.

Dude is SO overrated.
    Agreed on Manning but he did fine vs Brady in the playoffs. Go back and look

Joey Vigs
    Joey Vigs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1519

True story. Believe it or don’t. Couldn’t give two fcuks. I know someone who grew up with him and worked out at the same gym. He’s been juicing since high school. We’ve all seen this story before. Aroid was the best player in baseball. Juiced. There’s no way this guy is naturally that much better then everyone else. It’s impossible.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Guys Manning didn't just get the biggest contract by a pro athlete ever. In ALL pf sports. Yes he is the best in the bigs all around today, so what? Have any of you watched an Angels game in the laat 5 years? They fukking suck. Watching Trout make a nice play or 2 in the outfield your avg outfielder couldn't make doesn't cancel out the image of watching bums like Cole Calhoun and Justin Upton pretend to be pro baseball players.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Vigs View Post
    True story. Believe it or don’t. Couldn’t give two fcuks. I know someone who grew up with him and worked out at the same gym. He’s been juicing since high school. We’ve all seen this story before. Aroid was the best player in baseball. Juiced. There’s no way this guy is naturally that much better then everyone else. It’s impossible.
    Thats not news. Was well known he was downing 5 burgers in one sitting in High School from that spot he likes over there forget the name. Plus his build is so unnatural I know he juices.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Guys Mike Trout made the playoff once. His team got swept. He went 1 for 12 from the plate with 1 single RBI.

1 FOR 12 WHEN IT ACTUALLY MATTERED. Harpers is at least .215 in the post season and has actually had a hit in a big moment.

ikid2groove415
    ikid2groove415's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1184

Trout is the most complete player in baseball - hitting/defense stealing base - he has no weakness - unfortunately baseball is a team game and you need pitching 2 contend and win -

danwinkler
    danwinkler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Machado is actually going to generate more revenue for his ball club than Trout or Harper individually in my opinion. Ive lived in San Diego and the latino community is strong. There are literally going to be millions that tune in down there for Machado based off his heritage alone.
    not really. they are more likely to buy the fake machado jersey than the authentic ones.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by ikid2groove415 View Post
    Trout is the most complete player in baseball - hitting/defense stealing base - he has no weakness - unfortunately baseball is a team game and you need pitching 2 contend and win -
    So why did he only go 1 for 12 in the biggest games of his career?

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

KiDBaZkiT , are you a racist ?

jjgold

Mickey Mantle #2

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by ikid2groove415 View Post
    guess he doesnt care about winning

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    KiDBaZkiT , are you a racist ?
    This is difficult to answer. First and foremost I am a proud white man and my race comes first. Also agree with Chris Rock. I also refuse to date my own race for some reason. Know that part of it is like what Lawrence Fishburne says to the white cop sleeping with a black girl in the film Deepcover Fishburne's character says to said white guy "You like f***g blacl women cuz its like f***g a slave." Def true. So it is complicated Sammers. I have called many a black male N er right to their face when challenged. Was like Riley Cooper plenty of nights of my life. "I'll fight every n***er here."

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

KiDB

Thanks for your honesty !

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    Unless I've been in a coma the last 20 years there is no salary cap in baseball. And if a filthy rich owner wants to pay luxury tax that's his call. Economics 101, you're worth what someone is willing to pay you. If the Angels didn't, damn sure somebody else would have. And if you're smart you can build a good pitching staff without breaking the bank. The Rays won 90 games in a division with TWO 100+ game winners, mostly with one legitimate starter and a bunch of "openers". Any other division they probably make the playoffs; Oakland did. Bottom two teams in payroll last year. Now whether the Angels build a winner or not is another call, but they had to resign Trout. Length of the deal is debatable, on that I agree.
    The problem isn’t trouts deal, their problem is they still paying top level money to Pujols for another 3 years! This contract will look like a steal compared to that deal as they basically never got the guy we had in stl and they paid to get! Trout will at least give them top level production for about half of the 12 years id suspect.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Banker!!!!

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Ask yourself how many players need to be paid and paid fairly well to retain in the MLB,
    that cost is only going to rise with changes demanded by the players union that improves
    flexibility and free agency. Mike Trout right now is costing about .177% of the luxury tax line 197 million
    which means if an MLB team only had 5.6 players per team he would be paid the median.
    An active roster is 25 players with 40 on the roster total to work with. There is going to be very little available
    for the great majority of Angels on the roster. After they take care of pitching and its cost demands, nothing will be left. Sure, they can go over the luxury tax, but they are already 4th-5th highest in the league, with NY/BOS 15-20m higher, there is your real hard cap based on economics. The problem for the Angels is Trout and pitching alone will take up so much that they will need to get very lucky to build a team with this expense that will make the playoffs and perhaps even win pennants and world series.
    The 17.7% Trout gobbles up is more if Angels don't pierce the luxury tax ceiling. Trout was 20.29% of full roster payroll last season. There is a separate calculation to reduce some impact on the luxury tax per contract, but the sites haven't been updated yet so I can't tell you how much lower Trout's hit on the luxury tax will be. It was about 24 million last year .

Regardless, the obvious truth here is that Angels decided keeping Trout for the fan base is more important than fielding a championship contender. They are not going to field championship contenders like this. I predict they will not win a pennant in the 12 years. All the other teams will have much greater flexibility in retaining talent and signing big pitcher rotations and those other 3-4 high quality batters required to beat top level teams in October.

Yes, they overpaid somewhat, but far worse than overpaying for a few years and seeing what happens is the over-commitment of the contract for a totally boneheaded 12 years.
    It was and incredibly stupid and short-sighted move. No GM wants to work with this. Other players will not see LAA as a big contract landing spot for themselves. Big as in 1/3rd of what Trout makes. Ownership must have made the decision for their own reasons, like keeping fans in the seats to see the player they love.
    "WAR" doesn't make the postseason. His stats. I mean real stats not sabermetrics - are not so incredible.
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...routmi01.shtml
    For the next 3 seasons they still paying pujols around 30 mil per, once his money comes off the books they should be able to make some things happen, they just gotta prey trout still giving them mvp production in 3-4 years.

They have that jap kid who looks to be very good as a hitter and maybe as a pitcher as well (next season after he fully recovers from tommy john).

With Carlos Martinez on the dl the cardinals are coming into the season w a starting rotation not making as much per year as pujols so clearly you can build a staff without breaking the bank. I don’t follow prospects but I’ve heard halo’s have lot of talent in their farm system.

This 35 mil per year to trout should in no way cripple them. Say what you want about the money that fine, it the length I don’t like, I don’t think the yearly average is a problem while he still producing as one of best players in the game. But trying to say he isn’t that incredible is fukkin ridiculous, kid is a generational talent and unless your iq is south of 100 ya can’t argue that.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Banker Upton also roughly 15 mil in dead payroll per year as well.

First 12345 Last