DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

All signd point to Matt Patricia becoming GIANTS HC

Yup. Rumors galore. Yesterday it was Detroit. Today G-men. Hmm.
    What does seem clear is he is gone.
    Not sure about McDaniel.

A rocket scientist has blasted his way into the lead to be the Giants' next head coach.

The Daily News has learned that all signs are pointing to Matt Patricia, the New England Patriots defensive coordinator with a degree in aeronautical engineering, as the man the Giants will hire to point Big Blue back in the right direction.
    The Giants' glory days saw Bill Parcells, a coach with defense as his backbone, patrolling the sidelines at the Meadowlands, with Bill Belichick as defensive coordinator, winning the franchise's first two Super Bowls in 1986 and 1990, setting the standard in North Jersey.
    But since Parcells, the Giants have hired five head coaches all with offense as their calling card: Ray Handley, Dan Reeves, Jim Fassel, Tom Coughlin and Ben McAdoo.

Coughlin won the Super Bowl twice in 2007 and 2011, but even in '07 succeeded and ruined New England's perfect season thanks largely to Steve Spagnuolo's rabid pass rush led by Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck.
    Great defense defines the Giants at their peak.
    And while improving the offense and developing a young quarterback to succeed Eli Manning are priorities in this coaching search, Patricia feels like too good of a fit and could bring an offensive coordinator to address those needs, perhaps Alabama's Brian Daboll, 42, who overlapped with Patricia for seven seasons in New England.
    Patricia, 43, as the Daily News has written a few times the last couple days, is not a done deal to the Detroit Lions as several reports had claimed coming out of his interviews last weekend with the Giants, Lions and Cardinals (oh my). In fact, there are indications he prefers the Giants to the Lions.
    Maybe the Giants would need to get used to his unkempt sideline appearance — backwards hat, pencil behind the ear, with a bushy beard. But what matters is what's between Patricia's ears.
    The NFL's tampering policy dictates that the Giants and Patricia technically would not be permitted even to make an "agreement to execute a contract," let alone sign one, "until after the conclusion of the employer club's playing season" — or until after the Patriots' postseason ends.
    But teams find a way of locking up their guy. In 2014, it was an open secret that Seattle Seahawks D-coordinator Dan Quinn was leaving to become the Atlanta Falcons head coach going into the Super Bowl. And last year, the same went for Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and his future head job with the San Francisco 49ers.
    This year, if the Patriots return to the Super Bowl, the Giants actually would be permitted a second interview with Patricia if the Patriots again granted permission, to be conducted no later than Jan. 28 or a week before the game.
    Josh McDaniels, 41, the Pats' offensive coordinator, is down to being a candidate for the Colts and the Giants, or staying in New England. But Indianapolis is considered the more likely landing place if McDaniels does leave, after the Colts' reported first choice, Chiefs OC Matt Nagy, took the Bears job.
    Vikings OC Pat Shurmur, 52, emerged from his Saturday Giants interview as a stronger candidate than many believed when this process began. And like McDaniels he has the NFL head coaching experience that John Mara is looking for.
    But is Shurmur's 9-23 record in two seasons as Cleveland Browns head coach (2011-12) and one impressive year of winning with journeyman QB Case Keenum in Minnesota enough to land the coveted Giants' head coaching job? That's hard to see, and that hire might not make a ripple in the Big Apple, frankly.
    Patricia, however, might have found a kindred spirit in new Giants GM Dave Gettleman and a perfect fit in the organization's preferred identity. And that's despite famously wearing that Barstool Sports T-shirt of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell with a clown nose after the Patriots' latest Super Bowl win. Mara no doubt would be able to laugh that off with Patricia in the name of a good start with the Giants.
    Gettleman, 66, is old-school, in the good way that he wants the Giants to be the Giants again.
    He stepped to the podium on Dec. 29 after being hired and began talking about running the football, stopping the run and getting to the quarterback. He said he believes "big men allow you to compete," an old Coughlin line. He said fixing the offensive line and improving the culture were priorities.
    Gettleman did not hire Ron Rivera as Panthers head coach, but in his four years as Carolina's GM (2013-16) won with the defensive-minded Rivera at the helm, including a 15-1 season and a Super Bowl trip in 2015, losing only to Von Miller and Denver's ferocious D.
    Patricia's background and priorities suggest he and Gettleman and the Giants would be a great team.
    Patricia was an offensive lineman in college at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute just north of Albany in Troy, N.Y., playing both center and guard.
    He comes from humble beginnings in the city of Sherrill, N.Y., 40 miles east of Syracuse (several sites list a population of just 3,071, per the 2010 census). He is whiz-kid smart: Patricia owns a bachelor's degree in aeronautical engineering from R.P.I. and a master's in education from the University of Massachusetts. And while Patricia doesn't have the NFL head coaching experience that Mara prefers, he does satisfy the Giants' baseline requirement of significant time spent as a coordinator, in year six now running the Patriots' perennially respectable defense.
    He has worked for the Patriots since 2004 and has been part of three of this dynasty's five Super Bowl championships. And since he moved to defense in 2006, the Patriots have finished top-10 in fewest points allowed in 11 of 12 seasons, including a No. 1 overall ranking and Super Bowl win in 2016.
    Patricia started as a grad assistant at R.P.I. in 1996, worked the next two years as an aeronautical engineer, then returned to coaching at Amherst College (defensive line, 1999-2000), before heading to Syracuse for three years as a grad assistant (2001-03) and then finally landing in New England.
    He started on Belichick's staff as an offensive assistant (2004), became assistant offensive line coach in 2005, took over linebackers for five years (2006-10), and worked one season of safeties (2011) before taking over as full-time DC in 2012. Patricia is married to wife Raina with two sons, Dominic and Dave, and a daughter, Giamina.
    Many believed Patricia would be the Lions' new head coach because he and Detroit GM Bob Quinn, a former Patriots exec, would keep it in the family as products of New England, too.
    But also consider this: Belichick holds a strong affinity for the Giants from the glory days and has been active in grooming and advising McDaniels and Patricia in this process, and it could mean a lot to Belichick and to his legacy for Patricia to take over and turn around his former team.
    The Giants are conducting their sixth and final interview with former Broncos RB coach Eric Studesville on Wednesday, but the feeling is Patricia and the Giants may have found themselves a perfect match.

MoonPond
    MoonPond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12539

Gus Bradley 2.0. Guy leads defense to worst 4-game start in Patriots franchise history and gets a head coaching gig.

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Eh, he hasn't rly been a shut down or dominant defensive coach. More like a bend but don't break that sits on leads

DOM-Ganador

Quote Originally Posted by shadymcgrady View Post
    Eh, he hasn't rly been a shut down or dominant defensive coach. More like a bend but don't break that sits on leads
    Yeah, it has been frustrating sometimes when they give up chunks of yards and long drives.
    It is beyond my football IQ, but he has kept them in top 10 points allowed during his tenure.
    The best Patriot defenses were before he took over DC., personnel wise.

I know all teams have their injury problems, but Hightower was the main man until he went down.
    And a BIG PLAY guy.

shadymcgrady

No knocks on patricia, just a response to the false Bradley comparison. In his defense he hasn't had much to work with personnel wise

shadymcgrady

I heard a rumor regarding Jaime Collins that maybe one of you bostonians can confirm or deny

Jaime Collins was balling out and having a career yr with nwe, his stats were off the charts

In the midst of the season he said something to the effect of "I don't do that" during a team meeting. Can't recall what that was, maybe blocking or shedding. Not sure

Anway, he gets traded to the browns that verynight and in film study the next day, patricia asks "Does anyone else want to not do that? "

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

insignificant

impossible to tell if a guy that was never nfl head coach can win

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

First thing Patricia needs to do is get a look that doesn't make it appear as though he belongs on a roll of paper towels.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13182

Quote Originally Posted by floridagolfer View Post
    First thing Patricia needs to do is get a look that doesn't make it appear as though he belongs on a roll of paper towels.
    Yes, and Belichick in his Tuxedo......The "Hoodie" & "Fear the Beard". Both slobs, but winners!!!!!!!

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

players will not like him. not a rah rah type personality. college players crossing their fingers if drafted it's not the NYG. players do not like tough discipline. rather just play hard on sunday than have energy draining practice sessions.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I honestly don't think he has what it takes to be a HC for any NFL team.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by shadymcgrady View Post
    I heard a rumor regarding Jaime Collins that maybe one of you bostonians can confirm or deny

Jaime Collins was balling out and having a career yr with nwe, his stats were off the charts

In the midst of the season he said something to the effect of "I don't do that" during a team meeting. Can't recall what that was, maybe blocking or shedding. Not sure

Anway, he gets traded to the browns that verynight and in film study the next day, patricia asks "Does anyone else want to not do that? "
    Heard something similar from a friend who works for Pats. Only differences I heard were Collins was talking about his contract in meeting and when it got back to Bill they got his agent on phone and rang up Browns. Guy stepped outside the lines and got shipped to Siberia. Bill announced the deal in locker room and asked if anyone else wanted to re do their deal mid season.

Not sure how Patricia will do as a HC. Bill doesn’t let assistants do much with media so he will have to learn on the fly.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by MoonPond View Post
    Gus Bradley 2.0. Guy leads defense to worst 4-game start in Patriots franchise history and gets a head coaching gig.
    Your thinking here is totally backwards, how can you turn one of the best coaching achievements of all time ( or in this case coordinating achievements) into a negative? The New England defense was BAD the first 5 weeks, and I am talking historically bad as in one of the worst stretches to begin a season of all time. Yet, Patricia somehow fixed that unit to the point where the Patriots have allowed the fewest points in the NFL since that time.

Of course, none of that means he will be a good head coach, but nobody can dispute how great he has been as a DC.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by DOM-Ganador View Post
    The best Patriot defenses were before he took over DC., personnel wise.
    Exactly! Patricia deserves a ton of credit. That does not mean he will not be Wade Phillips 2.0 though (or Norv Turner on offensive side), sometimes coordinators should stay at the positions where they excel the best.

jjgold

no QB=NO WINS

Giants have no QB

MadeInDetroit
    MadeInDetroit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2052

He looks like he's lived north of The Wall.

The skill set that is needed to be a good NFL head coach is very different from that of a coordinator. It will be hard to predict if he can be a good one. I have my doubts, most of his coordinating is playing with a lead, where most teams are scrambling to make a come back.

DOM-Ganador

I am 100% in agreement that being a great OC/DC does not mean they will be a great HC.
    So many coordinators over the years have failed when promoted.
    HC in the NFL is 10x harder and more complicated than OC/DC.
    THATS why so few teams have a coach any of us would consider great....Can`t name 10/32 I would call "great". Could name over 10 bozos though.

Looks like Patricia is back on track for Lions.

Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1724

He will do what Caldwell could not

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

Will welcome Patricia here in Detroit. Maybe he can help the Lions cheat better.

But for real I want him in Detroit, have been impressed with him for a while.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13182

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    MadeInDetroit[/B];27508964]He looks like he's lived north of The Wall.

The skill set that is needed to be a good NFL head coach is very different from that of a coordinator. It will be hard to predict if he can be a good one. I have my doubts, most of his coordinating is playing with a lead, where most teams are scrambling to make a come back.
    You should be thankful you got him, instead of some of these retreads....BOL to him in Detroit.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

I would love for Dallas to get Josh McDaniels, but we know that ain't happening. Another year of 'Mr. Ivy League".

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by DOM-Ganador View Post
    I am 100% in agreement that being a great OC/DC does not mean they will be a great HC.
    So many coordinators over the years have failed when promoted.
    HC in the NFL is 10x harder and more complicated than OC/DC.
    THATS why so few teams have a coach any of us would consider great....Can`t name 10/32 I would call "great". Could name over 10 bozos though.

Looks like Patricia is back on track for Lions.
    of course, all pot luck

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Not a good sign for the Patsies. D.C. has his mind in two different places. It will not matter. The NFC is very, very weak. If the Pats play anyone except New Orleans, load up on the ML. Philly and Minny have no offense.