l7ustin
    l7ustin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2724

Top ten starting pitchers this year

In order of how good they have been this season.

Just bet on these guys and you will do fine.

1. Kershaw
    2. Cueto
    3. Sale
    4. Arrieta
    5. Syndergaard
    6. Bumgarner
    7. Nola
    8. Quintana
    9. Wright
    10. Strasburg

JArrieta49
    JArrieta49's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 209

Why is Chris Sale ahead of Jake Arrieta?

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6111

Where Tanaka

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Zimmerman from tigers should be on there, also Salazar for Tribe

l7ustin

Quote Originally Posted by JArrieta49 View Post
    Why is Chris Sale ahead of Jake Arrieta?
    Arrieta 68 IP BB/9 is 2.779 7 QS 0.90 whip

Sale 78.2 IP BB/9 1.831 9 QS 0.88 WHIP

l7ustin

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    Zimmerman from tigers should be on there, also Salazar for Tribe
    His ERA is good but his IP, K rate, and whip exclude him from consideration

l7ustin

Quote Originally Posted by slayer14 View Post
    Where Tanaka
    15 or 16. Closer than Salazar and Zimmerman

JArrieta49

Quote Originally Posted by l7ustin View Post
    Arrieta 68 IP BB/9 is 2.779 7 QS 0.90 whip

Sale 78.2 IP BB/9 1.831 9 QS 0.88 WHIP
    Way to cherry pick.

Arrieta has a lower ERA and lower FIP and has faced significantly tougher offenses.

Chris Sale's average offensive rank opponent - 17.9th in MLB
    Jake Arrieta's average offensive rank opponent - 10.9th in MLB

Do a bit more research before you start threads like this man.

l7ustin

1. Kershaw
    2. Cueto
    3. Sale
    4. Arrieta
    5. Syndergaard
    6. Bumgarner
    7. Nola
    8. Quintana
    9. Wright
    10. Strasburg
    If he has faced tougher offense, then it will balance out read the bold part of my quote

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

LOL @ OP's poll.

1)Hamels
    2)Darvish (small sample size, but we all know he's awesome)
    3)Kershaw
    4)Colby Lewis (I'm surprised too, but he's kicked ass)
    5)Sale
    6)Arrieta
    7)Martin Perez
    8)Cueto

You're welcome

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

l7ustin

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    LOL @ OP's poll.

1)Hamels
    3)Kershaw
    5)Sale
    6)Arrieta
    7)Martin Perez
    8)Cueto

You're welcome
    The dutch oven threw a fukkin gem yesterday? No love?

JArrieta49

If he has faced tougher offense, then it will balance out read the bold part of my quote
    You don't think someone gambling should take into account that one pitcher has faced a joke schedule and one pitcher has faced an elite schedule when evaluating the two?

JArrieta49

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    LOL @ OP's poll.

1)Hamels
    3)Kershaw
    5)Sale
    6)Arrieta
    7)Martin Perez
    8)Cueto

You're welcome
    Hamels got his ass hole lit up last time out. But he was facing a real team from the NL Central, so that's not surprising. Don't worry, Arrieta will avenge Hamels next time he faces the Pirates.

l7ustin

You don't think someone gambling should take into account that one pitcher has faced a joke schedule and one pitcher has faced an elite schedule when evaluating the two?
    You should read this list and be like OMG TOP 10 PITCHER NOLA IS GOING TONIGHT EVEN MONEY YAYYYY then look at who he is pitching against. Oh, Washington, average as fukk ill take my chances.

or top ten pitcher. cool. -150 is steep boston punishes the baseball, not worth it

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Basing it off of this year so far...

Kershaw
    Sale
    Cueto
    Stras
    Arrieta
    Bumgarner
    Jo Fer
    Rich Hill
    Syndergaard
    Tillman

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

1. Kershaw
    2. Cueto
    3. Sale
    4. Arrieta
    5. Syndergaard
    6. Bumgarner
    7. Nola
    8. Quintana
    9. Wright
    10. Strasburg
    xFIP is not a catch-all end-all, but it is a nice starting point. Top 10 in xFIP as of this second:

1. Kershaw 1.91
    2. Syndergaard 1.98
    3. Fernandez 2.53
    4. Nola 2.59
    5. Matz 2.85
    6. Strasburg 2.93
    7. Arrieta 3.11
    8. Gray 3.14
    9. Cueto 3.14
    10. Price 3.19

The diamond in the ruff there is Jon Gray of Colorado,who goes tonight, in 8th.

So the OP's list is not bad at all, especially since he included Nola. The one disagreement I have is with Wright, I think he is a stiff that should come back to earth soon. As for the guys on the OP list not in the top 10 in xFIP, Sale is somehow 28th at 3.50 (I don't believe it either), Bumgarner is 22nd at 3.42 and Quintana is 24th (just ahead of Sale) at 3.46.

Wright does not belong, he is at 4.12.
    Points Awarded:

KingJD31 gave LT Profits 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

JArrieta49

The problem with people who put so much focus on FIP or xFIP is that they refuse to account for the fact some people just know how to pitch to contact. If someone pitches to contact effectively for 3 years, at some point, you have to factor that into the eye test evaluation of a pitcher instead of think someone is getting lucky over 500 innings.

These stats were revolutionary, but now they're stale because people obsess over them.

Anyone who thinks Matz is better than Sale even arguably should honestly probably never bet baseball.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: daneblazer

trobin31
    trobin31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10212

Not taking any stats into account, given i look at baseball stats daily and know the who are league leaders in every major category, ie fip, siera, wOBa. Im listing by if i had a game today, who i would want on the mound to give me the best chance to win that game. Problem with stats are there are always teams that hit a particular pitcher well. For example Marlins seem to crush lefties who might even have the best curveball in the world. While even great hitting teams like pirates have problem with even a decent slider. My point is every game is different and you defintely wouldn't want Kershaw or Sale if you were facing the Marlins, while you'd be much better off with even Ruby Dela Rosa vs the pirates rather than Strasburg (who doesn't have a great slider).

1. Kershaw
    2. Arrieta
    3. Strasburg
    4. Syndergaard
    5. Degrom
    6. Fernandez
    7. Cole
    8. Cueto
    9. Scherzer
    10. Bumgarner

JArrieta49

^ I like your list, but deGrom is way too high considering his drop in velocity this year.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2260

Arrieta blew his last big game

he'll blow alot more late this year as well

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6111

Jose Fernendez a top 20 pitcher now for sure

l7ustin

Im gonna bump this thread and do another one in a few weeks. I only looked at the stats I did not look at names until I picked who I liked based on the numbers. Jarrieta (who may be slightly biased towards Jake Arrieta ) correctly pointed out that if the pitchers have been fortunate enough to go against easier opponents it could skew the statistics and while this is true, I feel like that is a bit of an excuse and it should balance out we are about one third through the MLB season

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

How big is arrietas rooster
    The problem with people who put so much focus on FIP or xFIP is that they refuse to account for the fact some people just know how to pitch to contact. If someone pitches to contact effectively for 3 years, at some point, you have to factor that into the eye test evaluation of a pitcher instead of think someone is getting lucky over 500 innings.

These stats were revolutionary, but now they're stale because people obsess over them.

Anyone who thinks Matz is better than Sale even arguably should honestly probably never bet baseball.

jose21_us
    The Miami Connection
    jose21_us's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11176

Quote Originally Posted by slayer14 View Post
    Jose Fernendez a top 20 pitcher now for sure
    Shit I would say top 5.

trobin31
    trobin31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10212

^ I like your list, but deGrom is way too high considering his drop in velocity this year.
    Degrom just had a kid at the beginning of the season. This happens to every man who has ever had their first child, let alone having to deal with health issues right away for the infant. Degrom is elite. Come September he will be considered a CY candidate.

JArrieta49

Quote Originally Posted by trobin31 View Post
    Degrom just had a kid at the beginning of the season. This happens to every man who has ever had their first child, let alone having to deal with health issues right away for the infant. Degrom is elite. Come September he will be considered a CY candidate.

There is only one CY candidate in the NL this year... he should win every first place vote barring an injury. Arrieta should probably win every 2nd place vote.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19443

Amazing how many dominant pitchers there are now; those steroid tests must be striking fear into hitters.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Oh I know, it was not meant to be a strict ranking in order. As I said, it was just a starting point. I don't REALLY believe Nola is the fourth best pitcher in baseball or Gray is the eighth best, and I certainly feel that Sale should be in top five. When I said OP's list seemed OK outside of Wright, I meant as a collection of Top 10 candidates not in specific order. The only thing you can say unequivocally is Kershaw is #1, after that you can rank the others however you choose.

My model rankings are different than the xFIP rankings, if I remember I will re-rank tomorrow since Arrieta is going tonight.

l7ustin

One of the things I looked at was complete games. It really pisses me off when games get turned over to the pen and you lose. Only four guys in the league have more than 1 complete game. I included all 4 in my top ten Kershaw Cueto Sale and Wright each have 3. I also weighed quality starts heavily because ERA and WHIP do not accurately portray consistency of a pitcher. If a guy gets bombed every 6 or 7 outings but pitches shutout baseball in the other 5 or 6 games hes not top ten material to me.

Wright had 9 quality starts in 10 games
    Kershaw is 10/11
    Quintana is 9/11
    Cueto 9/11
    Sale 9/11
    Bum 9/11
    Stras 9/11
    Synder 8/10
    Nola 8/10
    Arieta only 7/10
    Last edited by l7ustin; 05-31-16 at 10:30 PM.

JArrieta49

Quality starts doesn't tell the whole story either though.

Maddon has taken Arrieta out after 5, one where he hadn't even allowed a run just to save him because he knows Arrieta is going to be pitching deep in October if things go to plan. Don't want to blow his load in May. And the Cubs score usually for Arrieta, so the game is usually over when Joe is making his bullpen decisions.

l7ustin

Im not sure which start you are referring to on 4/28 he threw 5 IP gave up only 1 run but threw 92 pitches walked 4 struck out 6 3 hits. I think he was pulled due to pitch count and he didn't look sharp especially in the 5th inning

On 5/8 he was pulled after 5 IP when he gave up 3 runs 6 hits 7 Ks 4 BBs after 100 pitches

On 5/25 he was pulled after 5 IP after 93 pitches he gave up 4 runs 7 hits 1 BB 4 Ks.

All three non quality starts were pitch count related not an attempt to save him. He has not been as efficient this year as pointed out by Chi Archie in other threads

JArrieta49

Im not sure which start you are referring to on 4/28 he threw 5 IP gave up only 1 run but threw 92 pitches walked 4 struck out 6 3 hits. I think he was pulled due to pitch count and he didn't look sharp especially in the 5th inning

On 5/8 he was pulled after 5 IP when he gave up 3 runs 6 hits 7 Ks 4 BBs after 100 pitches

On 5/25 he was pulled after 5 IP after 93 pitches he gave up 4 runs 7 hits 1 BB 4 Ks.

All three non quality starts were pitch count related not an attempt to save him. He has not been as efficient this year as pointed out by Chi Archie in other threads
    First of all, on 5/8, he gave up 2 ER, not 3... errors cost him that start and put a lot more pitches on his shoulder. Another reason quality start is a dumb stat... errors can make you not have a quality start, so it's a dumb pitching stat.

Secondly, on 4/28, he came out not because of the 92 pitches, but because it was 6-1 against the Brewers. Why not save his arm if you have the option? If it was 2-1, he stays in the game for the 6th 100%. That's 2 games where he pitched good enough for a quality start but didn't get it because of factors out of his control. Just kind of the point, it's a dumb stat for pitcher evaluation. Almost as dumb as wins.

l7ustin

First of all, on 5/8, he gave up 2 ER, not 3... errors cost him that start and put a lot more pitches on his shoulder. Another reason quality start is a dumb stat... errors can make you not have a quality start, so it's a dumb pitching stat.

Secondly, on 4/28, he came out not because of the 92 pitches, but because it was 6-1 against the Brewers. Why not save his arm if you have the option? If it was 2-1, he stays in the game for the 6th 100%. That's 2 games where he pitched good enough for a quality start but didn't get it because of factors out of his control. Just kind of the point, it's a dumb stat for pitcher evaluation. Almost as dumb as wins.
    Its not a tell all stat but when used in conjunction with others I think it helps. Arrietas WAR is 10th and his xFIP puts him in 6th. It would be more fair to compare the stats after 11 starts to everyone elses, I did not realize that Wright Synder Nola and Arrieta had one less start until I typed out the other post above

l7ustin

Arrieta what would your top ten look like?

JArrieta49

1. Kershaw
    2. Arrieta
    3. Syndergaard
    4. Sale
    5. Bumgarner
    6. Strasburg
    7. Price
    8. Kluber
    9. Cueto
    10. Fernandez
    11. Quintana
    12. Cole
    13. Lester
    14. Felix Hernandez
    15. Salazar
    16. Scherzer
    17. Hamels
    18. Archer
    19. Hendricks
    20. Matz

My list is less about how people have pitched more, and more based on how I expect them to pitch going forward, with recent history more heavily weighted.

The one surprise for most people is that most people probably don't know how good Kyle Hendricks is.
    Last edited by JArrieta49; 06-01-16 at 12:10 AM.

12 Last