bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Collins moves back into starting QB role for Raiders

does anyone know what direction the raiders are going right now, besides down....waaaaaaayyyyy down.

Collins moves back into starting QB role for Raiders

By JOSH DUBOW, AP Sports Writer
    December 14, 2005
    ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- Marques Tuiasosopo's chance to prove himself lasted just one week.

Tuiasosopo was sent back to the bench Wednesday when the Oakland Raiders made another quarterback change, moving Kerry Collins back into the starting role for Sunday's game against Cleveland.

Coach Norv Turner said last week he wanted to give Tuiasosopo an extended look to see if he could revive Oakland's listless offense. Both Collins and Tuiasosopo said it was their understanding after talking to Turner that the move was for the rest of the season.

Even after Tuiasosopo struggled in a four-turnover performance against the New York Jets last Sunday, Turner said it was his intention to give Tuiasosopo another chance. But three days later Turner changed his mind, choosing Collins as the starter.

"Tui's been in this league enough to know there are no certainties, no guarantees," Turner said. "He's disappointed, but he's a very strong guy and a resilient guy. In the right time, the right situation he's going to really be a good player."

While Turner acknowledged discussing the situation with owner Al Davis and other members of the organization, he said ultimately the call was his and he decided to go with the quarterback he felt gave the team the best chance to win.

"I just felt that it was Kerry. It's not a reflection of Tui and his performance, because he knows there are things he could have done better, but we did not play well around him," Turner said. "We owe it to the guys on this team that are giving as much as they're giving, we owe them the best chance to find a way to win a game."

Collins admitted that the rotating quarterbacks was "slightly different."

"I'm not going to overanalyze it," Collins said. "I'm just going to realize that I've got another opportunity to play this week, which I'm excited about. I'm going to do everything I can to get us a win."

After a promising start to the season, Collins struggled as the Raiders fell out of playoff contention. Collins didn't throw an interception until his 141st pass in the fifth game of the season, then didn't give up another pick for 95 more attempts. Seven of his 10 interceptions have come in his last four games, including three in a 31-17 home loss to Denver on Nov. 13.

"I think the biggest thing is it gave my body a week to rest," Collins said. "You go through a season and play 12 games to that point, I had a couple of bumps and bruises that were able to get some time to heal."

Collins has been booed at home and the fans had chanted "Tui! Tui!" at recent games, hoping for a change. But after Tuiasosopo's struggles on the road last week, the Oakland fans will get another dose of Collins on Sunday.

The Raiders (4-9) have lost three straight games and are assured of a third straight losing season for the first time since Davis came aboard in 1963 to coach and eventually own the team.

Collins has completed 245 of 446 passes for 3,118 yards and 16 touchdowns, but has been sacked 32 times for 194 lost yards. His lack of mobility was one of the big reasons Turner made the switch to the more athletic Tuiasosopo.

But Tuiasosopo didn't fare any better against the Jets, getting sacked six times and losing two fumbles in a 26-10 loss. He went 14-for-26 for 124 yards with two interceptions.

Even though Collins and Tuiasosopo have different styles, offensive tackle Robert Gallery said it shouldn't alter the task much for an offensive line that has allowed 16 sacks the past three games.

"It may be different for some guys, but your job's your job," Gallery said. "No matter who's back there, you've got to protect and whichever guy's back there, it's the same mind-set for me."

Tuiasosopo, who was not available for comment, has started only two games since the Raiders drafted him out of Washington in 2001. He started once in 2003, but hurt his knee during Oakland's third offensive series, and hadn't played in a regular-season game since.

"I think a lot of Tui and I think he's going to be a real good player in this league, and sometimes it's just timing," Turner said.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I might actually play the Raiders this week now.

goldengoat
    goldengoat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

Norv Turner is an idiot and needs to be fired

I'm sure Davis is working out the details already