xyz
    xyz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3251

Which sports can Betfair be used as a leading indicator

It seems to me soccer and tennis are two sports where Betfair's lines can be used as leading indicators. For US major sports, like baseball, not so much. What are your opinions on this? I can't play on BetFair, but have been monitoring their lines recently as an additional source of information.

That Foreign Guy
    I got sunshine in a bag
    That Foreign Guy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3069

I think any sport where Betfair accounts for a significant % of the market volume (in $ and participants) it can be considered a leading indicator. You've mentioned the two biggest sports. I am not sure just what they publicly report in terms of volume etc so how much I'd trust the other sports (rugby maybe but there's not great liquidity there).

Betfair is also massive in the UK horse-racing industry - I dunno if you can bet UK horses but Betfair basically is the market.

A number of bookies have massive hedge accounts (some traders employed by bookies have seven figure balances there) with Betfair so I don't know how leading the indication, it's probably the most public consolidation of money though. I assign a lot more weight to betfair line moves than randomsportsbetting.com etc

Jontheman
    Jontheman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4073

It certainly does not lead the market in soccer - Asia does that.
    Cricket would be an interesting one. Arguments rage about whether BF leads the market or responds to what is going on "underground" in India/Pakistan. Where Betfair certainly leads the market is in live in-play betting in most sports other than soccer and US sports.