Poogs
    Poogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1346

ladies ladies, youre killing an otherwise great thread.
    Points Awarded:

Timetobet34 gave Poogs 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

I really don't think the discussion we had is too far off topic. The thread is about programmatically scraping data. There really needs to be some concern by those who wish to pursue that venture on how that data is stored, organized, and accessed. CSV's simply aren't practical for most profitable modeling applications.
    Last edited by MonkeyF0cker; 04-17-10 at 08:22 PM.

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ijump12,

Please continue with your thread and do not let Monkey destroy it, which has clearly been his intention since day 1

This is a great thread for those of us interested in the subject and your thread has inspired me to purchase a few books to help make this a little more understanding for me. The subject has tweaked my interest for a while now and your thread has helped to point me in the right direction to get started, I also have interest in programming outside of gambling but this is a great starting point to give me the motivation to learn.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Thread is also cleaned up now, so carry on Ijump.

Daniel
    Daniel's Avatar Become A Pro!

How many of you analytical minds use historical (i.e. last year's) data? I'm guessing you're aware of the Lahman-database @ http://www.baseball1.com/?

There is similar data available for hockey in case people are interested.
    Points Awarded:

Meestermike gave Daniel 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

hockeyman30304
    hockeyman30304's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

frankzig
    frankzig's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3622

anybody up and running?

Meestermike
    Meestermike's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3908

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    How many of you analytical minds use historical (i.e. last year's) data? I'm guessing you're aware of the Lahman-database @ http://www.baseball1.com/?

There is similar data available for hockey in case people are interested.
    Thanks Daniel. Any idea on the hockey DB addy?

Daniel
    Daniel's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Meestermike View Post
    Thanks Daniel. Any idea on the hockey DB addy?
    The hockey stats are only available if you're a member of a yahoo group (free). The data is also CSV-only and updated after each season, but contains just about every NHL-season's worth of individual and team stats.

It's managed by a single guy, but he appreciates comments and discussion on the yahoo-group's mailing list.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/hockey-databank/

Meestermike
    Meestermike's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3908

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    The hockey stats are only available if you're a member of a yahoo group (free). The data is also CSV-only and updated after each season, but contains just about every NHL-season's worth of individual and team stats.

It's managed by a single guy, but he appreciates comments and discussion on the yahoo-group's mailing list.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/hockey-databank/
    Thanks Daniel. Much appreciated

Nuggz
    Nuggz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 163

Wow I've been learning Python recently and didn't really consider it as a tool for investing in sports. Very cool..

dinaro7
    super player
    dinaro7's Avatar Become A Pro!

i agree

kisado
    kisado's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 38

Awesome thread, I think! I'm not computer program savvy enough to fully comprehend what you have posted, but I can tell it's prolly some good shiit. I'm more of a 'feel' bettor if there's such a thing. I do handicap, but I use that data combined with my knowledge of the particular sport and other factors like motivation, past results, etc.

jbrent95
    jbrent95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1450

Thanks for the introduction to Python.

Reno Gambler
    Reno Gambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1802

This is great stuff for us beginners!!

frankzig
    frankzig's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3622

very intresting

CaptainPrice
    CaptainPrice's Avatar Become A Pro!

importing odds sounds like a pain still

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPrice View Post
    importing odds sounds like a pain still
    if it were easy, we'd all be swilling Mai-tais with the sports groupies in the Bellagio penthouse like Monkey. Instead we seek a zen-like oneness with our data bases ignoring all the worldly pleasures.

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

I have a WELL tested Java Application/Scraper that gets the odds from SBROdds. If someone wants to propose a trade of something worth having...I'd be willing to barter it off...

If anyone is interested, PM me...

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by greeksportspicks View Post
    Greek Sports Picks is now 28-5 in their "MLB Lock of the Day." Today, their pick was the Over of 9 1/2 in the Rockies and Brewers game. It easily covered with 15 runs scored combined between the 2 teams. Try their free pick for tomorrow by dialing their toll free number: 1 - 888 - 608 - 7487. Their free picks record is 14-5. TRY IT NOW! BREAK THE BOOKIES!!! ITS EASY MONEY!
    Handicappers digest says these guys are on a 1- 20 run

yanky yank
    yanky yank's Avatar Become A Pro!

Brazil kicking some chilean butt

pats3peat
    LETS GO PATS
    pats3peat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I'm always struck by how hard it can be to express yourself in print, and the fact that we all use differing terms to label the same items. I'm not a data base guy but data dictionary "thingies" are important even in my simplistic world. I would like to see us stay away from the Players Talk way of solving differences of opinion here in the Tank, however.

I keep saying this to no observable progress: I'd like to see a group form where the interest is sharing checked out data sets. I spend way too much time cross checking data and way too little time on model building and analysis; especially the analysis.
    yea i think pretty much everyone wastes way too much time instead of just getting started on a model andend up not even trying. not saying research is a waste of time though

What do you mean, cross-checking each others data sets... to speed up the process? What do you use, mostly just excel?

Wrecktangle

Quote Originally Posted by pats3peat View Post
    yea i think pretty much everyone wastes way too much time instead of just getting started on a model andend up not even trying. not saying research is a waste of time though

What do you mean, cross-checking each others data sets... to speed up the process? What do you use, mostly just excel?
    Building fully checked out dbs with all the conditionals (everything that is knowable about a game/team) is damn difficult. Once you have that, model building is relatively easy, and certainly more fun.

bztips
    bztips's Avatar Become A Pro!

These "how-to" posts by lj are by far the most useful things I've seen on this entire site (admittedly I'm relative newbie who has been scouring around for just a little while).

Following his examples, I am now up and running automated daily scrapes of MLB data from covers, baseballprospectus and statcorner. For my purposes, the csv exports are perfect because they can be appended automatically into my databases.

Now I just have to be patient, wait for my sample sizes to grow -- and then it's off to modeling!

RaginCajun
    RaginCajun's Avatar Become A Pro!

i really just got started in handicapping and never thought to do any of this. are u guys making your dbs by using these programs that u made? and what kind of data are you taking from each sport? its ok if u cant reveal this information

Wrecktangle

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun View Post
    i really just got started in handicapping and never thought to do any of this. are u guys making your dbs by using these programs that u made? and what kind of data are you taking from each sport? its ok if u cant reveal this information
    Everything you think might be relevant and maybe even some that might not. Then test them against the lines you scrape. These things can get very large. No one said this is easy.

Indecent
    Indecent's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1156

Python programmers might want to look into Scrapy. Never used it, but seems like it would be useful for betting purposes.

Upon further reflection.. From the perspective of teaching new programmers, it might be too big of a stretch to teach Python and XPath (and maybe html) all at once. This could be useful for more experienced users, but maybe not quite appropriate for this type of tutorial/userbase.
    Last edited by Indecent; 07-12-10 at 12:14 PM.

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun View Post
    Not sure how everyone else does, so i speak for myself.

I have a program that will go out to the internet stat websites ie CBS Sports. This program gets all the game data available. I take EVERYTHING i can find. And then i take this data and load it into a database. Later, once i have all the data, I figure out what i actually need to use...

PS. Getting ONLY the data you need is a bad practice and will hurt you in the future. And it's lazy. Don't listen to anyone that says "your database should only contain data you plan to use". This is bad when over time your approach changes and you need more (and increasingly specific) data.

roasthawg
    roasthawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

I've been using PHP with xpath to scrape lately... there's a bunch of different ways though and not all of them involve programming. The hard part is finding that data... not scraping it.

RaginCajun
    RaginCajun's Avatar Become A Pro!

i tried to use the elif function in the second "tutorial" and it said there is a syntax error. i checked and i have everything exactly how it is posted. please help

CrimsonQueen
    CrimsonQueen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1660

Ijump, this is the best thread ever. Please continue it!!

eldoctord
    eldoctord's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Excellent information. I wonder how many people put this much thought and energy into their decisions. Most of us are impulsive, gut bettors. More power to those who can come up with an edge and consistently win money.

CrimsonQueen

Quote Originally Posted by sharpcat View Post
    your thread has inspired me to purchase a few books to help make this a little more understanding for me.
    sharpcat or anyone else: what books are you reading that are about this? that specifically talks about programming databases and modeling for sportsbetting?

I've always had some basic knowledge of programming from various programs, but this has very much grabbed my attention and I would love to delve fully into the world of programming and databases.

CrimsonQueen

Thanks maverick22, but that's only about baseball. If the book is sport specific, I'd want it about NCAAB.

First 12345 ... Last