The HG
    The HG's Avatar Become A Pro!

Josh Hamilton might start tomorrow for the Reds

I don't have a rooting interest in any team, but once in a while I can't help but develop a rooting interest in a player (which is something I hate to have happen, from a gambling perspective).

For those who don't know, this guy was the #1 pick in 1999, and was the classic guy who had more talent than anyone, he could do it all. But his life was felled by cocaine addiction, and he was out of baseball completely for large portions of this past decade.

He did 8 (!) stints in drug rehab, and finally made it to the majors this year. He also hit over .400 in spring training, so if he really has cleaned up his act, he could have a major impact on Reds' games and totals, it's not just a feel-good story.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Definitely a nice story. Hamilton looked great in spring training. He should get plenty of AB's for the Reds because I don't think Freel is an everyday player. He's also by far the best defensive OF on the team. Still only 24, so if he's clean he could be an impact player for a long time.

Peter Gammons actually picked him to win NL Rookie of the Year.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Quote Originally Posted by Ganchrow HG View Post

He did 8 (!) stints in drug rehab,
    The number doesn't surprise me. Rehab is a total joke.

RickySteve
    SBR is a criminal organization
    RickySteve's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 187

Quote Originally Posted by Ganchrow HG View Post
    he could have a major impact on Reds' games and totals, it's not just a feel-good story.
    Even if this guy has been spawned via parthenogenesis from Ted William's frozen head, a single hitter doesn't have a major impact on any baseball game.