apoc5one
    apoc5one's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 684

Serious Issue W/ Baseball...

... and yes I took a loss with the Angels tonight, but among the many mind boggling things about baseball is why they have the K-Zone, Pitch Track, or whatever you want to call it. I've always seen calling balls and strikes as a way to control the outcome of games. I'm watching the Angels/Red Sox game and all night the home plate ump is calling strikes clearly out of the zone and balls that were clearly in the zone, and I mean all night. Of course the homer Boston broadcasters will say things like "Oh that probably should have been called a strike" for Dubront, until they couldn't even hide the fact that he's "missed a few tonight." Ironically, the Angels couldn't hit for anything tonight, but obviously, when the Ump shrinks the zone hitters have a huge advantage. It's something I've suspected for a long time. I heard Buck Showalter advocates for the K-Zone to be implemented on the scoreboard so everyone can see, but I don't think they would ever want that because the powers that be wouldn't be able to control the game the way they want. Thoughts?

Jago2008
    SoCal Living
    Jago2008's Avatar Become A Pro!

You could have literally just said "I bet the Angels" and everyone would be able to relate with your frustration.

But yes, I understand your point, either way having the k-zone/strikezone visible will only do so much, ultimately the Ump is going to call things the way he traditionally sees it, and of course many can relate with a small or enhanced strike zone. This is just one of many variables to the game unfortunately.

I'd suggest reviewing ump statistics aswell when choosing a side, I use it significantly when selecting a total:
    http://www.ajsplays.com/2012/04/mlb-umpires.html