iceman02
    iceman02's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2965

Thinking about quiting...

I think its effecting my life and relationship. I spend most of my freetime betting and watching random sports. I look forward to leaving work so i can go home and bet on sports. Anyone else in similar situation?

Whats the best way to stop? I feel like like im gonna get pushed back. Im definitely addicted.
    Points Awarded:

lilpete gave iceman02 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19557

See you in a few days with your Play of the Year.

Tony Williams
    Turquoise Jeep Records
    Tony Williams's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Props to you for recognizing it's effecting important aspects of your life. I would talk to your family or spouse and be honest. Put someone you really trust in control of your finances, if you feel like it's really destroying your life that much. A lot of people look forward to leaving work to gamble/have a drink/etc, but you have to draw a line and maintain a life outside of gambling/degenerate activities.

beerman2619
    beerman2619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Man don't quit buck that. Life is short drink and gamble!!!

iceman02

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Williams View Post
    Props to you for recognizing it's effecting important aspects of your life. I would talk to your family or spouse and be honest. Put someone you really trust in control of your finances, if you feel like it's really destroying your life that much. A lot of people look forward to leaving work to gamble/have a drink/etc, but you have to draw a line and maintain a life outside of gambling/degenerate activities.
    Its just becoming very time consuming and expensive. I lost 6k in the last 2 weeks man. Thats alot of money to be throwing away. I worked so hard saving that up now its all gone. All because of my gambling habit.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1902

My personal rules that can improve your sports betting:

1. Money management. Bet less than 5% of your total current bankroll per bet. Use Kelly Criterion Calculator.

For example:
    If your total bankroll is $2000.
    5% of your $2000 is $100.
    If you lose your $100 bet, now you have $1900.
    5% of your $1900 is $95.
    Now you bet $95 instead of $100 because of your total current bankroll has changed.
    Bet like this and you can either slowly gain or slowly lose but can never be completely broke.

2. Be a strategic gambler by picking your spots and wait for the right opportunity. Never be a compulsive gambler by betting because it's your favorite team or for the action. Do your research.

3. Stay emotionless all the time. Bet like a robot. There's no place for emotions in this profession. Be discipline.
    Points Awarded:

JAKEPEAVY21 gave GunShard 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

CDUBB_CW gave GunShard 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

gigicash gave GunShard 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 4 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jjgold, Russian Rocket, Ra77er, and aston

RyanLeafOfBets
    Team Dexter
    RyanLeafOfBets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Whenever I think about quitting, I seem to go on a huge run to keep me in the game. It's definitely a roller coaster.

iceman02

Quote Originally Posted by RyanLeafOfBets View Post
    Whenever I think about quitting, I seem to go on a huge run to keep me in the game. It's definitely a roller coaster.
    I had a nice 9 week run with 2 weeks of losses. Im still up 5k ish. But it hurts man i gave up half my profits in a span of 2 weeks. I feel like if i keep going il be in red.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15072

If you're serious, all you really need to do is change the way you look at it.

It's just like being an abusive relationship. Gambling is going to be nice and kind to you just enough to fuk you (in a bad way) over and over again. It knows your head is soft and weak, and you'll fall for that shit every time. The pros are never worth the cons in your situation. Man up and take control. Find something else to fill that void once it's gone. Have it ready to go once you decide to stop.

iceman02

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post

1. Money management. Bet less than 5% of your total current bankroll per bet. Use Kelly Criterion Calculator.

For example:
    5% of your $1900 is $95.
    Now you bet $95 instead of $100 because of your total current bankroll has changed.
    Bet like this and you can either slowly gain or slowly lose but can never be completely broke.

2. Be a strategic gambler by picking your spots and wait for the right opportunity. Never be a compulsive gambler by betting because it's your favorite team or for the action. Do your research.

3. Stay emotionless all the time. Bet like a robot. There's no place for emotions in this profession. Be discipline.
    That sounds like a pretty good money management. How has it worked for you in the long run?

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15072

If you can completely change the way you wager, then that's a good option too, but most people can't do that, especially when it's less exciting.

unluckysob
    unluckysob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12702

I absolutely can not live without the excitement I get from sports betting.

PorkChop
    PorkChop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

If you were making money this wouldn't even be a thought

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

See you tomorrow
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave daneblazer 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

hans83
    hans83's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 569

For example:
    5% of your $1900 is $95.

good points

capitalist pig
    capitalist pig's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

You don't have to wager everyday, I only make 2-3 wagers a week and sometimes none at all. What 99% here don't seem to get is one or two good wagers is going to have less effect on your well being than making 20 wagers a week. It's not about quantity it's about quality. Of course SBR wants you addicted and coming back everyday so to get well you got to break that routine 1st

Later
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave capitalist pig 3 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Hudini

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

. . . you can either slowly gain or slowly lose but can never be completely broke.
    That's nothing but BS.

99.99 percent of all gamblers eventually come to the same conclusion: they haven't gained anything and they've wasted a lot of time.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

People with money management problems as it pertains to gambling can rarely ever get them. It's like telling an alcoholic or addict to just stop after one or two. If you think it's making life miserable stop or at least take a break and get a new set of priorities & goals.

back when I was playing a lot of poker, I'd see some really good poker players walk away from the poker tables with thousands of dollars and not even make it to their room before they walked past baccarat or blackjack and dumped all their winnings off. You can be the greatest gambler in the world at picking and playing games but if you can't manage money that skill is worthless
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave daneblazer 7 Betpoint(s) for this post.

SEAHAWKHARRY
    Northern Lights
    SEAHAWKHARRY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2385

Bro I only bet 25-50$ I only deposit once a sport season I limit my bets to a unit maybe two during rev season I spend time with family usually nights in here and weekend mornings but rest of time enjoy life this is s hobby for me not using it to survive and I never reload during season over its over period have strength
    Points Awarded:

JAKEPEAVY21 gave SEAHAWKHARRY 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by iceman02 View Post
    I think its effecting my life and relationship. I spend most of my freetime betting and watching random sports. I look forward to leaving work so i can go home and bet on sports. Anyone else in similar situation?

Whats the best way to stop? I feel like like im gonna get pushed back. Im definitely addicted.
    No way to stop unless you go to GA 2x a week

aortega521
    aortega521's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 384

It's tough some have the willpower others dont. I honestly think you can learn how to handle these situations though.

trobin31
    trobin31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10327

There are two ways one can change their inherent vices. One, which has neen practiced for thousands years is meditation. It involves focusing and visualizing yourself achieving certain goals. You do not have to be Buddhist to meditate.

You must relax your mind, then focus on the things which you believe could either help you stop gambling or make you a successful gambler. For example, visualizing yourself managing the bankroll correctly without impulsiveness or visualizing the harmful effects gambling has on yourself and family. Then visualize yourself doing things other than gambling which could make you happier, ie fishing, exercising, etc. If you spend 5-10minutes each day doing this eventually you can retrain your mind to alter inherent traits which are causing you unhappiness.

This has been practiced for thousands of years in the East and it works. It is also practiced here in the West but you just have to pay a psychologist $150/hr to help you.....it's called cognitive behavioral therapy, which is the other alternative of course.
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave trobin31 7 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: RenoChazz

jjgold

For example:
    5% of your $1900 is $95.

good work there

Icer you have a family?

THam12
    Money is the motivation!
    THam12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

TAKE profit.

Too many times people get up and continue to bet, increasing their risk.
    Take profit.
    Make yourself feel like a winner.
    I'm telling you, in all gambling this is the number one rule we must follow.

If we never take our profit, we are losers.

For instance- start with $100, you build it to $500, take $300 out and throw it in the bank or buy something. New BR $200. Bet accordingly.

I have had the same issues though my friend. I'm not just addicted to sports betting though, fukking slots got me.
    I can control my sports betting, but I can't control the urge to try and get a quick hitter on a slot.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15111

Take up poker or BJ.
    Have you tried Bingo?

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

My philosophy to gambling is to hit it and quit it. Time is not on your side when gambling. The quicker you can hit
    the better. Most gamblers who lost fume over their losses and do stupid shit to try and get it back. The same can
    be said if they win. I watched a woman win $25k on a $5 slot. She was paid in cash. What does she do? Sits down
    at the same machine and plays again. Stupidity. I would've ran out of there.

Having a proven system, sticking to it and money management are keys to success. Take your money and run
    when you hit.

lilpete
    lilpete's Avatar Become A Pro!

its harder than you think to stop, after a few weeks you will completely forget how you felt today and the urges will come back....my best advice is dont quit something you love to do because of a bad couple of weeks.... i know its hard to accept losses but you cant win every bet....i play to win but the more i lose the more i learn and grow from mistakes or bad beats and i emotionally overcome losses as i mature and gain experience
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave lilpete 6 Betpoint(s) for this post.

bobbywaves
    bobbywaves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 960

Quitters never prosper, make smarter bets.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

spend the same amount of time and energy on equities. Your grandkids will be thankful.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

It takes balls to recognize, that you have a problem.

Adjust how you go about betting and what it means to you.

Follow GunShard's rules from post #6 and you'll be alright.

Never treat gambling as more than a hobby.

Best of luck.

jjgold

most guys have no discipline its why they will never win
    If you are compulsive you cannot gamble

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    most guys have no discipline its why they will never win
    If you are compulsive you cannot gamble
    Golden words

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

*quitting

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

JJ taught me to do what it takes to stay in the game.

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

get a tout, skin.

just to carry you over until you're running good again

12 Last