DOMINATER
    DOMINATER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1180

A change of the overtime rule

It happened in a play off game, and this has to change ,a team worked all year left their blood sweat and tears and the field every week to have this happen, the current rule about overtime has to change. MY feelings are if the first team with the ball gets a field goal the opponent should get the ball back. In order for that second team to win they have to score 6 if they fail to score 6 the first team wins . Inthe case of the first team scoring 6 first the second team must score 6 plus a 2 point conversion. a quarter is still 15 minutes long .on the event of scoring from these examples the game is over even with time on the clock . one shot thats it . any other ideas on how to finally solve this ruling at the end of a game.

oiler
    oiler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2500

why not institute the same ot format as the ncaaf

wookieehumper
    wookieehumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

the sudden death OT is a terrible system... it may be okay in the regular season, but in the playoffs with so much in the line you need a system that is more fair for both teams. It's stupid that an entire season can be lost because of a coin flip, a huge return, and some questionable penalties.

As flawed as the college football OT system is, it is a million times better than the sudden death OT that the nfl has.

POPPY4201
    POPPY4201's Avatar Become A Pro!

I Say so sudden death is wrong i say play 1 full qtr first team to score either fg or td the opposing team has 1 possession to score but td team must go for two no kicking extra point. something like that if only fg is made and other team cant eiher match or score td they lose
    if they do get the fg. by both teams i say they go to the 2 yard line and and gotta preform a 2pt conversion 1 play at a time. only this should happen in ot for post season.

DOMINATER

oiler ,I have seen many times but what are the details to the college system of o.t in a football game

DOMINATER

There is got to be a better way , the pro system is so unfair

babyanni
    babyanni's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sudden death is cool when you're on the right side

JDUB07
    Houston Cougars!!!
    JDUB07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

Yup, I agree but this game was plenty fair. Vikings have nobody to blame but themselves. Should have won the game in regulation.

G's pks
    Update your status
    G's pks's Avatar Become A Pro!

agree...change would be a good idea.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Quote Originally Posted by babyanni View Post
    Sudden death is cool when you're on the right side

Z_Wipf
    Z_Wipf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 275

I want to see then adopt the college overtime but start from your own 20 or so.

mmike032
    mmike032's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8274

NCAAF OT rules would be better

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

The NFL repeatedly says that it will not change it's rules. They did not change after the Giants beat the Pack in O.T. two years ago, and they will not change the rules now. I personally prefer the college style of determining a winner, but we will never see that in the NFL.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

f\*\*k that, thas why ur defense gotta step up. This te big leagues

jhack704
    jhack704's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1443

change it, paco we know your happy your saints won but if it would have gone the other way and min won the toss and scored you would be pist and you know it. they should play a 10 min q or somthing and if its tied after then do a sudden death

tomcast
    tomcast's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 251

I don't mind the current rule

capper123
    capper123's Avatar Become A Pro!

saints will get beat paco. enjoy the 2 weeks off manning best quarterback ever. brees is a mere wanna be. great season saints but the time has ended for them.

THEGREAT30
    A man in need is a man exposed
    THEGREAT30's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not going to happen.

capper123
    capper123's Avatar Become A Pro!

also the rule is terrible college football is the correct way to go. the air may affect the coin. oops sorry it did one more flip your team get the ball and a chance to score sorry! its terrible. ncaa football way better!!

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

The best overtime rule is in the CFL: Each team gets a possession in OT and THEN it is sudden death after that.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Do like the NBA, NCAAB. Add a 5 minute period to decide the game.

This is the best option, because the last five minutes ending a half/game are the most exciting anyway.

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

Quote Originally Posted by oiler View Post
    why not institute the same ot format as the ncaaf
    College football OT is a joke for too many reasons to mention.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

The fairest way to do this would be each team gets at least one possession. If the winner of coin toss does not score on first possession permitting there is no turnover instead of punting they kick off so this way both teams has an equal advantage on offense

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Aparently you guys do not see the light at all. The NFL has said many times that they will not change this rule. So learn to live with it people. All your defense has to do is man up for 3 plays to give the ball back to your offense should you lose the coin toss. It is not that difficult.

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    The NFL repeatedly says that it will not change it's rules. They did not change after the Giants beat the Pack in O.T. two years ago, and they will not change the rules now. I personally prefer the college style of determining a winner, but we will never see that in the NFL.
    Aparently you guys do not see the light at all. The NFL has said many times that they will not change this rule. So learn to live with it people. All your defense has to do is man up for 3 plays to give the ball back to your offense should you lose the coin toss. It is not that difficult.
    Retardation strikes again oh my

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Pauley, you dumb sh**. Obviously I am right, because the NFL is not going to change the rule. You, once again, are wrong. Get it through your thick uneducated skull. I am right. You are wrong. How about a little wager. I'll wager you that the rule is NOT changed next season. The loser is banned from posting in here again. I'll even throw in 5 bucks. I'm giving you odds, because your opinion is not worth 5 cents, much less 5 bucks.

PAULYPOKER

Pauley, you dumb sh**. Obviously I am right, because the NFL is not going to change the rule. You, once again, are wrong. Get it through your thick uneducated skull. I am right. You are wrong. How about a little wager. I'll wager you that the rule is NOT changed next season. The loser is banned from posting in here again. I'll even throw in 5 bucks. I'm giving you odds, because your opinion is not worth 5 cents, much less 5 bucks.
    Obviously you are a hopeless cause who thinks he knows everything but knows nothing

PS you would wager your life if given the opportunity hint hint hint hint hint hint hint hint

slacker00

C'mon guys.

Bigdaddy, you know it isn't a fair bet because these kind of rules take years of negotiation in the NFL meetings. The gears on the NFL rules committee move slowly. I remember the replay rule being tossed around for years before it was finally adopted and even then it's still undergoing a yearly tweaking process.

The NFL does adjust and change over time, though. Overtime is a toughie because it isn't a huge part of every game. But if enough momentum got behind the issue, I'm sure the NFL would start to at least address it and that's the first step into getting it into the discussion next spring @ the league meetings.

Busterflywheel
    Busterflywheel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post

C'mon guys.

Bigdaddy, you know it isn't a fair bet because these kind of rules take years of negotiation in the NFL meetings. The gears on the NFL rules committee move slowly. I remember the replay rule being tossed around for years before it was finally adopted and even then it's still undergoing a yearly tweaking process.

The NFL does adjust and change over time, though. Overtime is a toughie because it isn't a huge part of every game. But if enough momentum got behind the issue, I'm sure the NFL would start to at least address it and that's the first step into getting it into the discussion next spring @ the league meetings.

This is correct..everything in the biz world including the NFL takes time to make decisions that affect alot of people..Except our fed when they are passing "Bailouts" but thats a whole other beast itself..

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

didnt the current college style come from the xfl?
    i think the entire OT period should be played, instead of whoever scores first

jerseykingpin
    jerseykingpin's Avatar Become A Pro!

better off fliping a coin then this ot shit

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

ive never heard anyone disagree- the fate of a team and their fans' season resting on the OT coinflip is ridiculous- whoever gets the ball first. its really not fair at all

Busterflywheel
    Busterflywheel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

NCAA rule would be best..but this isnt the first CHampionship game to have this happen and why is there so much of a urgency to change this year...after vikings loss?

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by Busterflywheel View Post
    NCAA rule would be best..but this isnt the first CHampionship game to have this happen and why is there so much of a urgency to change this year...after vikings loss?
    The Packers-Giants NFC Championship game went into OT two years ago.

Every time we have an OT game, this gets tossed around.

cappinthepigs
    cappinthepigs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 67

agreed

123 Last