eaglesfan371
    The great game of POT...LIMIT...OMAHA
    eaglesfan371's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

Feeling extremely disheartened...

Just heard back from recruiter, 3rd company went with other candidate...

Over the last three weeks I interviewed with 4 corporations for a financial analyst position. 3 of them I made it to the final interview. Each company had 4-5 candidates and brought back 2 for final interviews with VPs.

I figured at least one of the three would like select me...

First one I thought I did very well. They told recruiter they loved me and likely would make me the offer. A week later they go with the other candidate.

Second one, I thought went okay, which likely meant not good. They went with the other candidate.

Third one, I was for sure that I was getting the offer. All four VPs really liked me and after a bit starting talking about casual topics and more off-topic and laughing. I stayed professional throughout but thought it was a slam dunk. They told the recruiter that they thought I was overqualified and would be bored of the position. The recruiter told me they were surprised when they went with the other candidate.

Just absolutely disheartened. I have been searching for over 5 months for a financial analyst role. Every company wants a senior level which I am not at. It is just so depressing. I am ready to work, I am creative and a hard worker. I brought a model and a tool that I made at previous job that helped the company become more efficient tremendously and improve client relations. I have letters of recommendation from business development team of this work too. Heck I even come in on weekends at the beginning to truly learn the business and study the necessary material. Just really bummed.

To Mikejam and booya, go ahead and attack me. I'm sure you will enjoy this post. Could use any inspiration from others though. Really really down right now.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

Even though you wished stroke on me and worse yet, had my precious wife fuking AutoDonk (whom I’ve met on several occasions & wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy) hate seeing anyone in pain so hang in there. You’re young. You’ll get something.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Auto Donk, and Swinging Johnson

captrobey
    captrobey's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10752

Maybe it is a blessing in disguise. Like there is a perfect job out there for you and if you would have got one of these you never would have found the better one.

It is kind of the same way when i was dating before i met my wife. I always told myself (And i was always the one hurt never the other way around) well thank god i saw her true colors because i would have just wasted my time with her instead of finding the right one out there for me. Maybe look at this like that. Maybe the perfect job is out there one that you will not only make more but actually enjoy working there. And these that turned you down were not it. Their loss .

eaglesfan371

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    Even though you wished stroke on me and worse yet, had my precious wife fuking AutoDonk (whom I’ve met on several occasions & wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy) hate seeing anyone in pain so hang in there. You’re young. You’ll get something.
    I appreciate that, thank you. I hope we can avoid future arguments.

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11866

Hang in there man. Any other opportunities pending or are you back to square one?

Like Captobrey said, blessing in disguise. Everything happens for a reason.

eaglesfan371

Quote Originally Posted by captrobey View Post
    Maybe it is a blessing in disguise. Like there is a perfect job out there for you and if you would have got one of these you never would have found the better one.

It is kind of the same way when i was dating before i met my wife. I always told myself (And i was always the one hurt never the other way around) well thank god i saw her true colors because i would have just wasted my time with her instead of finding the right one out there for me. Maybe look at this like that. Maybe the perfect job is out there one that you will not only make more but actually enjoy working there. And these that turned you down were not it. Their loss .
    Honestly, I have been wanting to move to Texas for awhile now. However, no company would look at me due to living out of state currently. Never look at gambling as an ends to a means, but if I run good this NHL playoffs as I've been crushing NHL this year, might just drive and move to Houston or Austin now. Could support myself briefly on the poker there while I look for a job. Played PLO to pay a year of school.

I took my 25k cash last month and paid off 17k of student debt (only 10k left) after people called me out on here for not doing so. Now, not financially ready to move across country no job in hand and not that much cash.

eaglesfan371

Quote Originally Posted by Foxx View Post
    Hang in there man. Any other opportunities pending or are you back to square one?

Like Captobrey said, blessing in disguise. Everything happens for a reason.
    I had 3 final interviews with companies that all were interested. I had a few recruiters reach out past 3 weeks but basically put everything on hold since I really liked all 3 and figured one would give an offer. So right now, basically back to square one. No interviews scheduled or potential offers.

Gaze73
    Gaze73's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1192

You probably had tough competition.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

Did you make follow up calls or write emails post interview?

eaglesfan371

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Did you make follow up calls or write emails post interview?
    Thank you emails sent within 12 hours of interviews, most times within 6 hours, sent individually to each person I interviewed with (once 5 VPs), mentioned something important that I had discussed with each person too.

Did not do any follow up calls as the interviews were scheduled through recruiting agency.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

You may want to consider a phone call or an email stating that you want the job and the reasons why you are the right guy for it. A thank you email is pretty standard and everyone does it. How do you stand out from the rest of the drones? You may also want to consider an actual hand written note.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

FA? You looking at banks or have the criteria for broker dealers or wholesalers?

eaglesfan371

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    FA? You looking at banks or have the criteria for broker dealers or wholesalers?
    Wished I had the internship experience for IB or FA at a bank but I don't. I would love to work in IB or real estate. Have finance/accounting degree, 3.4 GPA at University of Maryland. Internship with deloitte (big 4) and FT experience in project finance for a solar construction company.

Going to start learning python this weekend and look into new modelling structures. Guess it will give me something to boost my spirits. Have a tinder date tomorrow but unlikely that will boost my spirits too much as sex is not a job.
    Last edited by eaglesfan371; 04-11-19 at 08:49 PM.

Sol Diablo
    Sol Diablo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2483

In my professional career which has spanned a little over 20 years, Ive been at 6 stops.

All of the jobs I secured because I knew someone. And they either recommended me or was hired by a guy I worked with before.

Any job Ive ever applied for without knowing someone, Ive never been offered a job.

The old saying.. It's not what you know, it's who you know is so true.

Network. Meet people. Have integrity. Build relationships. That's my best advice moving forward based on my experience. Good luck.

eaglesfan371

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Diablo View Post
    In my professional career which has spanned a little over 20 years, Ive been at 6 stops.

All of the jobs I secured because I knew someone. And they either recommended me or was hired by a guy I worked with before.

Any job Ive ever applied for without knowing someone, Ive never been offered a job.

The old saying.. It's not what you know, it's who you know is so true.

Network. Meet people. Have integrity. Build relationships. That's my best advice moving forward based on my experience. Good luck.
    Hm. Think I might do this. Get a professional photo taken. Put it on a business card with name number and link to resume. Give uber rides around Tyson's Corner (the business area of DC / northern VA). Hand out my card. I'm really good at having conversation with uber passengers and have been given business cards by a few. 4.95 rating so maybe I can network that way.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

nobody is hiring a fukkin uber driver bro
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: unlearn

unlearn
    unlearn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15427

I have not hired a guy due to shaking hands like a pussy. How's your grip?

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7298

Don't call anyone to follow up. Honestly, following up is a waste of time. Send the thank you letters, and move on. Assume you didn't get the job. Keep applying to other jobs. Have a good interview, and then go home and apply for more jobs.

It sucks to apply for jobs. You can't control it, and entry level jobs are harder in way than higher up jobs, because you have less stuff to differentiate yourself with. Don't penetrating tell them that you'll come in on the weekends. People on the inside see that as "I have no life at all, or I'm lying, or I'm going to burnout in 6 months and quit". None of them are good. You don't have an offer till you have an offer, try not to get carried away, and avoid the disappointment.

You'll get a job. When I first moved to NYC area, easily sent in 100+ applications, went on dozens of interviews, 3 months later got a full time job. Stay there for almost 6 years. Decided to get a new job, sent in 60+ applications, made it to 3 final rounds and got two offers. It is bleak at times, but then the world turns, and you have a job. Hang in there.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

sourtwist
    not a non pro
    sourtwist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 548

Desperation can be noticed from a mile away

Interview the job to suit you

Not the other way around

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

Quote Originally Posted by sourtwist View Post

Not the other way around
    ^^^ this is advice I would give too.

Go in to that final interview with your mind set to thinking "of course they want me, I am here to see if I want them".

Much like "negging" women, they will be put in the mindset of wanting to impress you and make you want them.
    Points Awarded:

sourtwist gave Optional 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

eaglesfan371

Definitely understand that but for these 3 final interviews was 110% confident. I went in thinking I am going to have multiple offers, no need to be nervous, likely will have to pick one. Jokes on me got none of them.

I did my research on every company including recent 10K and financial statements. Linkedin profiles of each interviewer, thoughtful questions, etc.

I learned the confidence issue first hand though about a month or two ago. Majority of interviews have been through recruiting agencies. Had screening interviews with each. First one, I was not very confident and shared my struggles with only senior level roles being available (which I'm not at that level yet admittedly). They basically have never contacted me again.

Next several agencies, my usual confident and talkative self during screening interview, they set me up with interviews. Lesson learned.

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1524

Quote Originally Posted by sourtwist View Post

Not the other way around
    Don't often agree with this guy, but it's certainly your problem. You're desperate and you run your big mouth too muck. You probably talk over the interviewer with a bunch of bullshit they don't wanna fuk'in hear. For once shut the fuk up and keep it minimal, you'll be surprised at what happens.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

I don't know how to respond when I see ppl with a degree in finance / economics being unhappy with their money situation.

Isn't this the part where you laugh, invest in the stock market. Make a killing. Say fuk the system then post videos on social media where you encourage people to drop out of school, chase their dreams. Not waste their time with a 9 to 5 job where they work hard to make other ppl rich and wealthy?

*Tries to offer postiive encouragement*

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

look at the bright side..... this guy could find steady employment:

then again, after seeing all of the above, and knowing that he can get a job and you can't, may be totally depressing.....

try to focus on the "if he can, anyone can" aspect of this post

ps... another tip would be to photoshop your head on this guy, and put the gif under your signature block of all emails that you send out with resume.... you may not get the fukkin' job, but at least you'll get to fuk all of your recruiters.....:

Last edited by Auto Donk; 04-12-19 at 09:36 AM.

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5626

I think you've gotten some good advice on here EF. You're honest and authentic which makes you somewhat unique in a world of facades and self-aggrandizement.

It's tough to maintain a positive attitude when you've come so close but are always a groomsman, never a groom. However, you have plenty of company in that regard, and at the very least, you have to feel validated that you're getting as far as you are with multiple employers. That's an accomplishment on its own so let that resonate as you go forward.

Finally, you may want to review your letters of reference with your recruiter if he or she has contacted them. When the rubber hits the road, and these employers are narrowing down their candidates, perhaps that's when they call the references themselves instead of relying on what the recruiter provided on those same references. I realize many believe that checking references as part of the employers due diligence would seem to be perfunctory but if they are using a recruiter, quite often they don't want to invest the time unless they believe the candidate is a serious contender for the position. Maybe there is poison in your well that you're unaware of...but maybe not. Just a thought. And remember, yes, not yeah, when answering in the affirmative...always.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging Johnson View Post
    I think you've gotten some good advice on here EF. You're honest and authentic which makes you somewhat unique in a world of facades and self-aggrandizement.

It's tough to maintain a positive attitude when you've come so close but are always a groomsman, never a groom. However, you have plenty of company in that regard, and at the very least, you have to feel validated that you're getting as far as you are with multiple employers. That's an accomplishment on its own so let that resonate as you go forward.

Finally, you may want to review your letters of reference with your recruiter if he or she has contacted them. When the rubber hits the road, and these employers are narrowing down their candidates, perhaps that's when they call the references themselves instead of relying on what the recruiter provided on those same references. I realize many believe that checking references as part of the employers due diligence would seem to be perfunctory but if they are using a recruiter, quite often they don't want to invest the time unless they believe the candidate is a serious contender for the position. Maybe there is poison in your well that you're unaware of...but maybe not. Just a thought. And remember, yes, not yeah, when answering in the affirmative...always.
    true, nothing like having a freind who says one thing to your face, but then kahk blocks the shit out of you......

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Keep ya head up

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesfan371 View Post
    Just heard back from recruiter, 3rd company went with other candidate...

Over the last three weeks I interviewed with 4 corporations for a financial analyst position. 3 of them I made it to the final interview. Each company had 4-5 candidates and brought back 2 for final interviews with VPs.

I figured at least one of the three would like select me...

First one I thought I did very well. They told recruiter they loved me and likely would make me the offer. A week later they go with the other candidate.

Second one, I thought went okay, which likely meant not good. They went with the other candidate.

Third one, I was for sure that I was getting the offer. All four VPs really liked me and after a bit starting talking about casual topics and more off-topic and laughing. I stayed professional throughout but thought it was a slam dunk. They told the recruiter that they thought I was overqualified and would be bored of the position. The recruiter told me they were surprised when they went with the other candidate.

Just absolutely disheartened. I have been searching for over 5 months for a financial analyst role. Every company wants a senior level which I am not at. It is just so depressing. I am ready to work, I am creative and a hard worker. I brought a model and a tool that I made at previous job that helped the company become more efficient tremendously and improve client relations. I have letters of recommendation from business development team of this work too. Heck I even come in on weekends at the beginning to truly learn the business and study the necessary material. Just really bummed.

To Mikejam and booya, go ahead and attack me. I'm sure you will enjoy this post. Could use any inspiration from others though. Really really down right now.
    how you feeling buddy?

any good news?