stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    12 step programs are a time tested and proven method for putting addiction in remission. Some people cannot use "will power" to stop, they need something else. Others can stop but cannot be truly happy in their lives without the skills that 12 step programs teach.

Having accountability to a community of like minded people is a powerful motivator. Many of the people in the fellowships of 12 step programs have learned and will pass along valuable skills that people can use in times of crisis. Plus like JayLA says, the stories are fukkin amazing.

They are not a cult, not a religion, and are free to attend if you think you have a problem. I would recommend everyone attend an open meeting of AA just to see what it's like.
    As I say, if AA works for somebody, I'm on board.
    I've been to a few, a lot of dry drunks and drunks there because of a court order who go to the Madison Pub right after the meeting.

Now my dad, a Navy dad, he worked the 12 steps and it worked for him.

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57693

It's like being in the mob - You're never quite "done"...

JayLA
    On to the next one...
    JayLA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1219

I don't think drunks nor problem gamblers are a problem until they affect others...but at least the drunk will drink until his liver is shot out. A problem gambler will affect those around him monetarily until everyone's broke or gives up on him. Give me the former any day of the week....
    Last edited by JayLA; 06-29-22 at 12:04 AM.

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

gambling is like any other activity. if you are a shitty bowler, you are not gonna wanna bowl on a regular basis. but if you have been gambling over 20 years and haven't found a niche at anything, you may be just bad at it. i can't win in the nfl and i know it. ok in nba. but ufc and ncaa are my bread and butter. poker is up and down. but i enjoy poker more than sports betting. and nascar is just fun with the odds. find something your good at or just take small risks for fun. it's more about the rush than getting rich anyways...

Fred The Hammer
    Fred The Hammer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8383

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    gambling is like any other activity. if you are a shitty bowler, you are not gonna wanna bowl on a regular basis. but if you have been gambling over 20 years and haven't found a niche at anything, you may be just bad at it. i can't win in the nfl and i know it. ok in nba. but ufc and ncaa are my bread and butter. poker is up and down. but i enjoy poker more than sports betting. and nascar is just fun with the odds. find something your good at or just take small risks for fun. it's more about the rush than getting rich anyways...
    Me too. I just started going to the new poker room outside Indy and the players are horrible. Took some bad beats the session before and ruined a good night, but I won $350 the other night.

Back to this thread...good point about finding a niche (angle). If you can't find one or you can't stop doing shit that you can't beat then you're a sucker. We've all done it at times, but some never learn. I have a buddy thats 73 and can't stop if he's losing that night? Its not like there isn't a ton of games tomorrow night. Jesus? I know this guy has been gambling for 50+ years but its like he's a rookie.

Sportsbetting is not meant to be a nightly thing anyway....pick and choose wisely. Find something else to do with your time or work on a romantic or family relationship. Hell buy some stocks. I've made a little coin since the covid bs started with free trades on these new exchanges. Safer then sportsbetting by far

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Fred The Hammer View Post
    Me too. I just started going to the new poker room outside Indy and the players are horrible. Took some bad beats the session before and ruined a good night, but I won $350 the other night.

Back to this thread...good point about finding a niche (angle). If you can't find one or you can't stop doing shit that you can't beat then you're a sucker. We've all done it at times, but some never learn. I have a buddy thats 73 and can't stop if he's losing that night? Its not like there isn't a ton of games tomorrow night. Jesus? I know this guy has been gambling for 50+ years but its like he's a rookie.

Sportsbetting is not meant to be a nightly thing anyway....pick and choose wisely. Find something else to do with your time or work on a romantic or family relationship. Hell buy some stocks. I've made a little coin since the covid bs started with free trades on these new exchanges. Safer then sportsbetting by far
    yes. live poker is so much more fun. i like to go late and challenge the guy on tilt. they never believe you have it. but yeah you can lose to suckouts too. gotta be careful not to chase though. going to the atm after a loss doesn't always end well. tbh, crypto has become my favorite activity. stocks can be boring at times. but i enjoy the volatility of crypto and have faith that digital currency is the future. i learned the hard way about margin trading and prefer investing and being diverse. these drops in numbers these past few months mean nothing. crypto isn't going anywhere. banks and most govt's on board. much like cards replaced cash, digital currency is the future.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    yes. live poker is so much more fun. i like to go late and challenge the guy on tilt. they never believe you have it. but yeah you can lose to suckouts too. gotta be careful not to chase though. going to the atm after a loss doesn't always end well. tbh, crypto has become my favorite activity. stocks can be boring at times. but i enjoy the volatility of crypto and have faith that digital currency is the future. i learned the hard way about margin trading and prefer investing and being diverse. these drops in numbers these past few months mean nothing. crypto isn't going anywhere. banks and most govt's on board. much like cards replaced cash, digital currency is the future.
    I'm strictly a tournament player now.
    I will play Omaha cash games, but that's it.

Live games NLH you have too many cowboys that like to splash the pot with anything.
    You want to choke them when you pocket aces lose to some donk that thinks how his suited 9J is strong, then flops four to a flush, and splashes the pot again...of course he make the flush and I hit trip aces on the river.

Tournaments are a different animal.
    To me that's real poker.
    Once your out, your out (unless you have a four level late registration.
    Sure bet your KK or AA hard preflop, just be careful.

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26347

This seems dramatic decision, why not scale down your betting? drop your worst performing sports. Stick to 1 or 2 sports.

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    I'm strictly a tournament player now.
    I will play Omaha cash games, but that's it.

Live games NLH you have too many cowboys that like to splash the pot with anything.
    You want to choke them when you pocket aces lose to some donk that thinks how his suited 9J is strong, then flops four to a flush, and splashes the pot again...of course he make the flush and I hit trip aces on the river.

Tournaments are a different animal.
    To me that's real poker.
    Once your out, your out (unless you have a four level late registration.
    Sure bet your KK or AA hard preflop, just be careful.
    agreed. but there is still a level of frustration when you play almost perfect and after 4 hours lose a tourney making the perfect play. i could never do omaha because NLH is hard enough to master as it is. but i still love the game....reading phil gordon's little green book for the third time. got sklansky next.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Whose ghost is this?

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14308

AT&T you didn’t quit for long I see.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

wtf

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

is this guy betting again?

juicername
    Thomorino - Fade and Get Paid
    juicername's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3972

Did he quit?

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

I hope I can heal him in Zoom. I definitely can find his soul and free him from his transgressions

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

don't quit betting.

quit losing.

vividjohn45
    vividjohn45's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

There is always esports, if nfl stuck it up your butt. 1-5% of your bankroll per wager sparky., and wait until your big wager clears b4 you put out another 1-5% wager. If you are just wanting action wagers. .5% half % works . but you know your best bet gets the higher % wager
    Last edited by vividjohn45; 10-03-22 at 09:00 AM.

First 12