CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

CODA to win best Adapted Screenplay & Best Picture

-120 Adapted Screenplay
    +160 Best Picture

Has all the momentum and won at a few of the key awards shows already. Great movie that covers all the bases for a 'Best Picture'.

ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4175

How about a review and some details...but not too much?

Headsterx
    Headsterx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2108

Never heard of it but after googling it, it’s a musical. Crazy Hollywood has two musicals up for pictures. They both will cancel each other.

I’ve only seen Nightmare Alley and Dune and both originals were better. Just going with what bs narrative Hollywood wants to crap and it will be Power of the Dog for best picture and director. Dark horse King Richard is worth a shot. But just like the majority of these pics and the awards, I won’t be watching. 😂

ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4175

Quote Originally Posted by Headsterx View Post
    Never heard of it but after googling it, it’s a musical. Crazy Hollywood has two musicals up for pictures. They both will cancel each other.

I’ve only seen Nightmare Alley and Dune and both originals were better. Just going with what bs narrative Hollywood wants to crap and it will be Power of the Dog for best picture and director. Dark horse King Richard is worth a shot. But just like the majority of these pics and the awards, I won’t be watching. 😂
    Hey Headly, is Biden looking like the Tower Of Pizza, yet?

CanuckG

Quote Originally Posted by ABEHONEST View Post
    It has a lot of momentum. I found a few books hanging screenplay at +170 to +200. If you have a SIA account you can still get +200 for $63.

CODA winning SAG ensemble and WGA is usually the recipe for success for at least the screenplay category. Still some historical trends that are against them for BP but the competition this year is very weak.

MeanPeopleSuck
    MeanPeopleSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 700

Quote Originally Posted by ABEHONEST View Post
    She's right. I bet Oscars heavily (it's my second biggest handle day of the year) and Coda got red hot exactly as final Oscar voting was happening.

On Saturday, right in the middle of final Oscars voting, Coda won best picture from the producer's guild of America. Here's why that matters: the PGA is the only Oscars pre-cursor award that uses the same ranked voting system the Academy uses for picking Best Picture. Since the format change to preferential balloting, PGA has matched the best picture winner 7 out of 10 times and 4 of the last 5, including foreshadowing the upset of Green Book over Roma two years ago. Coda also won the actor's guild award for Best Ensemble and actors make up the largest segment of the Academy.

How to profit from this: Adapted Screenplay and Best Picture are both two picture races: Coda vs The Power of the Dog. And here's the great part: some sites do live betting during the Oscars. Whichever of Coda or Power of the Dog wins Best Adapted Screenplay during the show gives a strong indication of which of them will win Best Picture. After all, the same voters decide both categories.

But live linesmakers aren't experienced moving lines during awards shows and they tend to under-move lines when there's an "earlier category gives a strong hint about a later category" situation. The winner of Adapted Screenplay should instantly become a -300 to -400 favorite to win Best Picture, but it won't. If this year follows previous years the Adapted winner might move to -200 or something and the bettors might even bring that down even more. Bottom line: live bet the heck out of the winner of Adapted Screenplay to win Best Picture.

MeanPeopleSuck

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    It has a lot of momentum. I found a few books hanging screenplay at +170 to +200. If you have a SIA account you can still get +200 for $63.

CODA winning SAG ensemble and WGA is usually the recipe for success for at least the screenplay category. Still some historical trends that are against them for BP but the competition this year is very weak.
    Cool thread. FWIW, the WGA win didn't mean much except to further the momentum from the PGA win the night before. The writers have weird, hyper strict qualification requirements so Dog wasn't allowed to participate.

Much thanks for the leads on good Adapted lines. Since one good turn deserves another, Fairlay's got Chastain at -167 for best actress (imho, penelope cruz is also a great longshot bet there; she's 20-1 or higher most places). The other 3 acting races are locks, but no good lines anywhere.

Film Editing's such a mess that taking anybody at long odds is a buy. At present I know Tick Tick Boom is 10-1 and Don't Look Up is 20-1 at BOL/Sing. I'm sure they're just as long elsewhere.

Speaking of longshots, definitely put a few bucks on the Tragedy of Macbeth in cinematography. I've seen it 15-1ish at places and I think it's got a real shot to win. Another upset I kind of like is Flee over Summer of Soul in Documentary. Bookmaker/Betcris had Field vs Summer of Soul at +350 earlier today but I hit it pretty hard so I'm not sure where it'll stand when it goes back up this morning.

If this comparison stuff seems like it might help us both to more profitable evenings Sunday -- and I think it might -- please feel free to DM me and we can talk more candidly about what lines are where.

Nice to make your acquaintance,
    MPS

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13200

This has puppy bowl written all over it

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Canuck always hits all different kinds of props, he is hard to fade

MeanPeopleSuck

If anyone's interested, Betfair (or OrbitX, etc.) has an off market line for the Oscars in Best Actress: Jessica Chastain 1.75 (or -133), and IMHO that's excellent value.

Here's a cheat sheet if anyone's considering Oscars bets for Sunday: https://www.metacritic.com/feature/2...ill-win?ref=hp

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

I think the guy picked parasite winning if my memory serves me correctly. He probably will get this one 2

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

​Best Picture : CODA +110

CanuckG

One down

CanuckG

Winner. See you next year.

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    This has puppy bowl written all over it
    I remember that year we had the puppy bowl scandal guy said it was rigged everyone got buried.

Good call canuck

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10