stake1
    stake1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2438

Aikman leaving Fox for Mnf

According to Marchand, Troy Aikman’s two decade career working in the booth at Fox is over:

Hall of Famer Troy Aikman is expected to leave Fox Sports to become the main analyst for ESPN’s “Monday Night Football,” The Post has learned.

Aikman’s ESPN deal will be for five years, according to sources, and his yearly salary is expected to approach or exceed the neighborhood of Tony Romo’s $17.5 million per year contract with CBS. The deal is not yet signed, but it is near completion.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3353

good move.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

I'm a little surprised. Not my 1st choice for MNF. Doesn't have much humor.

I think he's good. But I viewed him as just the top Fox guy.

I wonder if deep-down he disliked Buck.

stake1

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    I'm a little surprised. Not my 1st choice for MNF. Doesn't have much humor.

I think he's good. But I viewed him as just the top Fox guy.

I wonder if deep-down he disliked Buck.
    Marchand also said Espn could try and pry Buck away so he can stay with Aikman. Buck has one year left on his Fox deal, so Espn would have to work something out with Fox to keep them together. There is history there as they did that with Aroid for Mlb when he had a deal with Fox
    Or they could turn to Al Michaels, who is supposed to be close to a deal with Amazon Prime for Tnf

Orbison
    Orbison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 153492

that's a surprise, thought Aikman was going to Amazon

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Interesting move

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7870

The play by play guy right now for Monday night football is terrible. I doubt they pair him with Aikman. There will be another move coming I bet

stake1

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    The play by play guy right now for Monday night football is terrible. I doubt they pair him with Aikman. There will be another move coming I bet
    Riddick was the first to know he was out. Levy and Griese likely going back to NcaaF Saturday’s

stake1

Quote Originally Posted by Orbison View Post
    that's a surprise, thought Aikman was going to Amazon
    Reports now that Amazon has set their sights on Mcvay, but Al Michaels wanted to work with Aikman. will be interesting to see if he goes back to where he started just to work with him

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Who cares

Last thing I think about is what asshole is calling the game.

Tony Romo is now the worst there is

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Yeah, thanks for saving me the trouble.
    I was going to create a thread on this.

The Athletic has a great piece on all this, how there'll be a domino effect on all the major broadcasting booths.
    Word is Al is done (maybe), Michelle is done, Tirico is going to be a major player at NBC now.
    Buck probably to ESPN is the rumor too.
    All sorts of movement is rumored.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

thank God, as collinsworth was simply horrible......

stevenash

Troy Aikman nearing deal to join ESPN as lead analyst on 'Monday Night Football': Sources

By Richard Deitsch and The Athletic Staff
    February 24, 2022Updated 8:31 AM EST

In a broadcasting move that will have reverberations at multiple networks, The New York Post reported on Tuesday night that Fox Sports lead NFL analyst Troy Aikman is nearing a deal with ESPN to become the network’s new lead analyst on “Monday Night Football." No deal is signed yet. Sources at both networks confirmed The Post's reporting to The Athletic, saying all signs point to Aikman heading to ESPN.
    Aikman previously confirmed that he was in conversations with Amazon to join the streaming giant’s new “Thursday Night Football” team.
    “I’ll be as totally transparent and honest as I can be, and when I say 'as I can be,' there’s no restrictions," he told The Athletic in January. "I’m not hiding anything. There are conversations that are taking place. And to be honest with you, I honestly do not know how this is going to shake out.”
    He said he was likely to resolve his status “shortly after the Super Bowl” and here we are.
    The Hall of Fame quarterback joined Fox in 2001, a year after he retired from playing from the Cowboys, and quickly joined Joe Buck and former Fox analyst Cris Collinsworth as the broadcaster’s No. 1 team. Aikman and Buck are the second-longest NFL broadcast pairing behind Pat Summerall and John Madden.
    Aikman, a three-time Super Bowl champion as a player, has called six Super Bowls and earned multiple Emmy Award nominations for his broadcasting work.
    The attention now shifts to who Aikman would partner with at ESPN. Steve Levy is the current play-by-play broadcaster for "Monday Night Football" but it is highly unlikely that Levy would stay in that position with the addition of Aikman. The contract of NBC Sunday Night Football lead broadcaster Al Michaels expired after the Super Bowl and Michaels vowed not to retire.
    “I don’t know what the future will hold, but after this game is over, I’ve got some very close friends and guys who really understand the business inside and out, and we’ll talk about what’s out there and what I might want to do," Michaels told The Athletic last month prior to the Super Bowl.

How would this signing impact the rest of the NFL broadcasting landscape?

Richard Deitsch, media writer: First, great scoop by Andrew Marchand at The Post. It's a major sports broadcasting story and when/if Aikman's deal is ultimately signed, it sets off a ton of moves.
    Let's start with Fox. Aikman leaving means the network needs a new No. 1 NFL analyst. The leading candidate is Greg Olsen, currently the network's No. 2 NFL analyst. Fox Sports executives love Olsen and already believe he can be a No. 1 broadcaster. The timeframe for Olsen's ascendency would be accelerated but he would be my prediction when next September rolls around.
    I think Fox will certainly look at outside candidates such as Sean Payton but I bet they land on Olsen with Joe Buck.
    Amazon needs both a play-by-play broadcaster and an analyst and with Aikman off the board, it puts more pressure on that company to land Al Michaels, whose contract expired after the Super Bowl. But ESPN will have interest as well.
    Who might pair with Aikman at ESPN?

Deitsch: There is no doubt ESPN will be checking in with representatives of Michaels. He's in an incredible leverage spot with Amazon needing a splashy on-air hire for its exclusive NFL Thursday night package and ESPN bringing Aikman in to create a new booth.
    Keep in mind ESPN has a lot of games they are about to do over the next few years so there is room for multiple play-by-play people and analysts. But Aikman will have a top play-by-play broadcaster next to him.
    If you want a wildcard broadcaster into the equation: Chris Fowler. He obviously calls ESPN's top college games but he and Kirk Herbstreit have called a couple of NFL games over the past few years to very good reviews.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Guy making more $$ in both than on the field

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by stake1 View Post
    Reports now that Amazon has set their sights on Mcvay, but Al Michaels wanted to work with Aikman. will be interesting to see if he goes back to where he started just to work with him
    Michaels dropped a seed on the Pat McAfee Show some weeks back. Stated that he would gladly work w/ a veteran like Aikman.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Who cares

Last thing I think about is what asshole is calling the game.

Tony Romo is now the worst there is
    Brock, we start a Pay Per View SBR MNF broadcast.

*Who wouldn't pay to hear the SBR pundits let it fly? Un-censored!

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

ESPN should just throw up a couple middle fingers, Stone Cold Steve Austin style, and bring Gruden back.

jjgold

I love Fowler both foots anfd tennis

top notch

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    ESPN should just throw up a couple middle fingers, Stone Cold Steve Austin style, and bring Gruden back.
    I think that's Jerrico

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57553

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    Don't think their "woke" target audience would like that, lol...

stake1

Amazon going to try and land Brady for Tnf

stevenash

Amazon can buy the freaking moon.
    You can just tell Bezos wants in on that cash cow that is the NFL.

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Donk View Post
    thank God, as collinsworth was simply horrible......
    Collinsworth is a huge kiss ass as well. Hope they get rid of his kid as well.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by clockwise1965 View Post
    Collinsworth is a huge kiss ass as well. Hope they get rid of his kid as well.
    Al really liked him though.

stake1

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Looks like it is Collinsworth on a 4-year/50mill deal to stay at nbc and "carry" tirico. mike is the worst play-by-play announcer of all the #1 teams, in my opinion

jjgold

Does anyone really care who calls games??

No

stake1

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Does anyone really care who calls games??

No
    Jj: what did broke deliver you for breakfast today? what will he be delivering you for lunch?

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by stake1 View Post
    Looks like it is Collinsworth on a 4-year/50mill deal to stay at nbc and "carry" tirico. mike is the worst play-by-play announcer of all the #1 teams, in my opinion
    Just my opinion, CC gets shit on unfairly often, and I think he's rock solid.
    He was a solid receiver back in the day and gives you solid information from a receiver's point of view.

Amazon had to really blow Al out of the water, because he said when he got inducted in to the Baseball Hall of Fame (broadcaster's wing) this past summer that "this it, I'm pushing 80"

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Yes I did read Al liked him.

stake1

Just my opinion, CC gets shit on unfairly often, and I think he's rock solid.
    He was a solid receiver back in the day and gives you solid information from a receiver's point of view.

Amazon had to really blow Al out of the water, because he said when he got inducted in to the Baseball Hall of Fame (broadcaster's wing) this past summer that "this it, I'm pushing 80"
    I think he changed his mind when he saw the “silly $” being thrown around to #1 teams
    that and Amazon poached his pal Gaudelli from nbc to produce Tnf