KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    KVB point I'm making... he'd be a head coach anywhere if his system was wanted and respected by the other NBA teams. It's not anymore. It's a losing product in the playoffs.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

I don't think Billups is head coaching material. It's night and day to be a Head Coach and bench/assistant coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Hammond was a better option.
    Time will tell. I don't think Hammond has the necessary boldness to get up in guys faces when necessary. Billups is an intimidating presence. He has all the accolades behind him. I think this move will surprise people. Whenever Billups was on espn analyzing games, he often pointed out things people were scared to say live. He has no fear, that's the difference between Billups and Hammond.

IBetYou
    IBetYou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16173

Hammon no Hammond

IBetYou

And she shouldn't be in the discussion. Has been neither a player in the men's game nor a coach.

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

The idea that anyone thinks Becky Hammon is qualified to be a head coach is beyond dumb.

thomorino

Is the object to win RINGS... or never win the big one? D'Antoni is a joke... that's why he can't even get a head coaching position. Who gives a flying fukk about the regular season.
    Dantoni has won plenty in the postseason, Houston was one game from the finals and that was against one of of most the best teams in NBA history. The idea that any coach who hasn’t won a championship isn’t a good as coach is dumb.

IBetYou

I like you Morino, you've redeemed yourself.

IBetYou

And you were right about the Knicks. Thing about Thibadeau & D'Antoni isn't that they're shit in the playoffs, rather they're great in the regular season. So expectations change through the regular season and people are disappointed in them when they flop in the real games. Knicks never should have been in the playoffs with that roster. Didn;t even have a decent pg for gawd's sake.

thomorino

Quote Originally Posted by IBetYou View Post
    And you were right about the Knicks. Thing about Thibadeau & D'Antoni isn't that they're shit in the playoffs, rather they're great in the regular season. So expectations change through the regular season and people are disappointed in them when they flop in the real games. Knicks never should have been in the playoffs with that roster. Didn;t even have a decent pg for gawd's sake.
    Agree, it’s just like George Karl when he was at Denver. He outperformed so much in the regular season that when he lost in the first round of the playoffs people labeled him a loser, but those Denver teams after Carmelo lost were teams that had no superstar ina tough western conference. He won nearly 60 games every year in the regular season.

I can’t believe people don’t realize how great of an offensive mind dantoni is. With Paul hurt he still took one of the greatest teams in nba history to a seventh game. He turned Nash into an mvp and he even got Raymond Felton to the all-star game. Lin would be nothing without Dantoni. Dantoni would have been a far better choice for Portland than Billuops, who has never coached at any level.

thomorino

I agree with you on Dantoni too. The knock on him for not being a good defensive coach isn’t true either, Houston was very good defensively most of the time he was there, the reason the Suns and Knicks weren’t as good defensively when he coached them was Nash and stoudemire played no defense, it was personnel not coaching.

IBetYou

George Karl was a fine coach, before he lost his voice to cancer at least. He had a spell in Spain in the early 80s. You still see his influence with Real Madrid to this day. Lots of deflections on defense leading to transition baskets. He was perfect for Denver with the altitude, they just didn't have the talent -lotta mediocre players on that team (Martin/ Nene/ JR.Smith etc).

IBetYou

Unfortunately nobody wants a cancer coach. Woman coach, yes. Black coach, yes. Cancer coach isn't one of the boxes that gets ticked.

thomorino

George Karl was a fine coach, before he lost his voice to cancer at least. He had a spell in Spain in the early 80s. You still see his influence with Real Madrid to this day. Lots of deflections on defense leading to transition baskets. He was perfect for Denver with the altitude, they just didn't have the talent -lotta mediocre players on that team (Martin/ Nene/ JR.Smith etc).
    Martin wasn’t mediocre, he was very good in Denver, the main issue with his best teams was injuries. Agree though, he okayed fast and maximized the altitude advantage, but I the playoffs with no back to backs and teams acclimating the altitude isn’t anywhere near as big of an advantage.

thomorino

Unfortunately nobody wants a cancer coach. Woman coach, yes. Black coach, yes. Cancer coach isn't one of the boxes that gets ticked.
    He’s also known for not being the nicest person too, a lot of players don’t like him.

IBetYou

Quote Originally Posted by thomorino View Post
    He’s also known for not being the nicest person too, a lot of players don’t like him.
    Apples & Oranges. Some players like a hard coach to keep them on their toes. Others are v.sensitive. Gary Payton adored him.
    Last edited by IBetYou; 06-27-21 at 12:14 AM.

thomorino

Apples & Oranges. Some players like a hard coach to keep them on their toes. Others are v.sensitive. Gary Payton adored him.
    I’m talking right now. His old school style of coaching just doesn’t fit with most of the younger players in the league who don’t want to be coached.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

George Karl benched Kobe in one of the all star games in the late 90s.

Kobe vowed that George Karl would never beat him after that in the playoffs.

I don't think Karl ever beat him after that in a playoff series.

Kobe said it in his mamba mentality book or an interview, I forget.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Agree, it’s just like George Karl when he was at Denver. He outperformed so much in the regular season that when he lost in the first round of the playoffs people labeled him a loser, but those Denver teams after Carmelo lost were teams that had no superstar ina tough western conference. He won nearly 60 games every year in the regular season.
    I may be reading it wrong but karl never won 60 games in denver and out of 9 yrs of making it to the playoffs there he lost in the 1st round 8 times thats horrendous. out of 22 times of making it to the playoffs in his career he lost in the 1st round 14 times. not sure how good of a coach he was but it frequently didnt show in the playoffs.

thomorino

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    I may be reading it wrong but karl never won 60 games in denver and out of 9 yrs of making it to the playoffs there he lost in the 1st round 8 times thats horrendous. out of 22 times of making it to the playoffs in his career he lost in the 1st round 14 times. not sure how good of a coach he was but it frequently didnt show in the playoffs.
    His best player was tyblawsona dk they lost to top teams. The West was loaded as usual.

IBetYou

I’m talking right now. His old school style of coaching just doesn’t fit with most of the younger players in the league who don’t want to be coached.
    Yeah, I understand. But it depends on who the top player on the team is. If you have Tim Duncan as your main guy then he'll fall in line and everyone else will follow suit. Today I would say Doncic & Jokic are the guys that are willing to be coached hard. They could have a European coach and it would work fine.

IBetYou

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    George Karl benched Kobe in one of the all star games in the late 90s.

Kobe vowed that George Karl would never beat him after that in the playoffs.

I don't think Karl ever beat him after that in a playoff series.

Kobe said it in his mamba mentality book or an interview, I forget.
    Mamba mentality

Was it a good read? I bet it was a boat load of self-indulgent crap. This one time a player said something mean to me and I lit him up for 50 in the next game blah blah blah

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

Can you believe this sick duplicitous snake made this thread after stating “coaching means nothing” on numerous occasions in the last month? What a room temperature IQ clown. Hey Lambs Milk, how do you explain Atlanta record since Nate McMillan took over vs before he did and they were a bottom team? Lol you think Trase Young isn’t top 20 but Lame Dolla is top 3 in the world??????????

BRO YOU ARE SO GOD DAMN DUMB ITS UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

First 12