eck81
    eck81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 342

Dead Heat Rules

I know that books apply dead heat rules in different ways. But yesterday DraftKings seemed to apply a dead heat rule inconsistent with its own guidelines to one of my bets. Of course, it’s possible that I am misunderstanding. So, I thought I’d check here before making more of a fuss.

According to DraftKings’ rules, dead heat finishes are calculated by reducing the original odds. Here’s a quote directly from the site based on a two-way tie: “Example: Original Payout equals Stake x Odds. Applying Dead Heat Reduction: Original Odds ÷ Players Tied = DH Odds. An original Bet of $25.00 x 17.00 odds = $425.00 With Dead Heat 17.00 odds ÷ 2 = 8.5 odds. Stake x DH Odds = Adjusted Payout due to rules would be $25.00 x 8.5 = $212.50.” (https://help.draftkings.com/hc/en-us...eat-Reduction-)

Yesterday, I had John Rahm to finish top 5 in the Genesis at +275. He finished in a three-way tie for the position. According to the DraftKings site, my profit on a $100 bet should have been calculated as (2.75÷ 3) x 100 = 91.66. I assumed I would get my original stake back, returning $191.66.

Instead, my return was $125. When I inquired, this is the reply I received from customer service: “Your winnings were projected to be $375 ($100 initial wager + $275 potential profit) before dead heat rules were applied. As three players tied, your winnings were divided by 3 to $125.” I replied, showing the agent the rules above. The agent ignored that, and responded simply saying that the wager was calculated “proportionally.”

Before I squawk more, can you let me know if I’m missing something?

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18989

Your bet was settled correctly. One-third of the bet won, two-thirds of the bet lost.
    Points Awarded:

KVB gave semibluff 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

rudy is the expert on this he will get in touch with u

eck81
    eck81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 342

So ... I guess that means I only get back one-third of my initial wager. That makes the calculation work. My profit was $91.66. They return $33.33 of my original stake (not the full $100), so my payout is $125. I understand now, but I still find the DraftKings explanation unclear.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

SBR Tony
    SBR Tony's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2969

if there would have been a 4 way tie, it would have been paid by 1/4, 5 players in a tie, 1/5 and so on.

When you looked at the information on ties, they were explaining a tie between 2 players

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    rudy is the expert on this he will get in touch with u
    most books are scamming the players

I might have to renew my players advocate role

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    most books are scamming the players

I might have to renew my players advocate role
    what can u do about it, books set the rules

reallyhardtowin
    reallyhardtowin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

this has been a topic with betonline previously and they paid it out similar to what was described above.

I wondered how my local guy was going to pay a Top 20 with Scheffler as there were 5 or 6 that tied for 20th. They paid it 100%.