swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6314

Hugo took down 80,000 trees in the Charlotte area, so 5 miles inland not the measuring stick. Not saying that's going to be the case here, but these things are unpredictable. Doesn't take much effort to use a little common sense. And ignore JJ
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave swordsandtequila 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

joey sangria
    joey sangria's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 819

I live on the Chesapeake Bay......tides and rising water are the main issues here. They are calling for up to 6 inches of rain,, sustained wind 30-40mph. I’ll park my boat in the driveway just in case.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

BE safe boys

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Relax and have a beer at the media loves the blown these out of proportion because there hasn’t been many hurricanes this year

Housemoney
    Housemoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4732

Quote Originally Posted by TheLock View Post
    Wow be safe Houser.

I’m watching Hurricane Florence and Isaac.
    Thanks, heading to Tampa for the rest of the week. Not worth risking it.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    Hugo took down 80,000 trees in the Charlotte area, so 5 miles inland not the measuring stick. Not saying that's going to be the case here, but these things are unpredictable. Doesn't take much effort to use a little common sense. And ignore JJ
    i'll give you hugo, but this one isn't 1/4 of that one. jjg has it right. news stations are starved for hurricane fodder this month. the season has slipped by somewhat unnoticed by most that there has been a lack of storms.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24625

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    UCF game against Tar Heels could be cancelled

Saturday's scheduled contest between UCF and UNC could be cancelled due to the potential conditions of Hurricane Florence.

Florence is supposed to be a Category 4 storm, and at this point, it could bring significantly inclement weather to the Carolina area. The game is currently scheduled for a noon kickoff in Raleigh on Saturday, an area expected to be hit hard at this point. Both teams are preparing for the game to be played on schedule, but there's at least a chance this one could be postponed or possibly cancelled. It would be the second year in a row that UCF would lose a game in this way, as their scheduled contest against Georgia Tech was cancelled due to Hurricane Irma.
    Source: Orlando Sentinel
    Sep 10 - 3:33 PM

Wait a second. That's Josh Heupel?

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Bumping this link, it's just too cool...

Amazing how much time people have to prepare, our technology is great.

Anyone that is either where they shouldn't be or where they should be but still in danger be safe out there and use this week to prepare.

jjgold

Pay attention to handicapping not hurricanes

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Hurricanes can affect some handicapping, can't they Gold?

Even if it is just to confirm a pass on a bet.

unusialsusp5

earthquakes, fires, tornado's worth raising an eyebrow to if threatened by one but hurricanes are just an annoying power outage inconvenience usually.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Wait a second. That's Josh Heupel?

I thought the same thing, Chucky

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

WV vs NC State cancelled

jjgold

If on coast maybe an issue but everywhere else total over reaction here

deltgen
    deltgen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4528

I'm am running the risk of being perceived as an insensitive prick, but let me ask you guys living in the region a question: I have a flight next Sunday from LAX to London, but a stop and plane change in Charlotte. Have you guys heard anything as far ahead as Sunday night? All the info I get is just for the next few days and can't find any info about airport closures. Will things be at least slightly normal then or am I looking at something like a 48 hour layover instead of two hours?

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7917

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11570

East Coast about to get pounded if this monster keeps it's strength up.. Cat 5 and it looks like a killer on radar now..

Good luck people in the path, pack up and get out of Dodge now.. Make sure you have home flood insurance.. Pack the valuables in the truck and go chill in a sunny warm State til it passes over.. Board up your windows if you have time..

It's coming!!!

Last edited by JIBBBY; 09-11-18 at 10:20 AM.

BigJay
    BigJay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 223

If on coast maybe an issue but everywhere else total over reaction here
    JJ can’t even handicap Hurricanes well.

This thing’s going to be a monster. Will wreak havoc on large part of coastline as well as inland. They are calling for it to stall and dump rain like Harvey did, which will be worse than the initial hit.

unusialsusp5

already been downgraded. losing it's punch. less than 100 mph winds from the report i got tuesday at 3:30. look at the above pic. not even that big and losing it's rotation.

BigJay
    BigJay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 223

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    already been downgraded. losing it's punch. less than 100 mph winds from the report i got tuesday at 3:30. look at the above pic. not even that big and losing it's rotation.
    It lost power because it replaced its eyewall. Hurricanes often do this. Then they regain both size and have even more wind intensity than before. If you’re anywhere near where this thing is predicted to hit, please leave.

A relative who swore he’d never leave his house for a storm lives in Biloxi. Finally left about four hours before Katrina hit to stay with relatives 45 miles inland. Five of his neighbors on his street stayed and died in the storm, including a couple next door. We didn’t find out until three days later he left because you couldn’t get a cell phone call through. A Ford F-350 truck he left in his driveway ended up half-buried and upside-down in the sand about a mile away.
    Last edited by BigJay; 09-11-18 at 02:50 PM.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7917

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    East Coast about to get pounded if this monster keeps it's strength up.. Cat 5 and it looks like a killer on radar now..

Good luck people in the path, pack up and get out of Dodge now.. Make sure you have home flood insurance.. Pack the valuables in the truck and go chill in a sunny warm State til it passes over.. Board up your windows if you have time..

It's coming!!!

this is a great site ... https://www.windy.com/-Rain-thunder-....646,-34.102,3

SBR Drew
    SBR Drew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

Hurricane Florence, which has strengthened to a Category 4 storm, is bearing down on the North and South Carolina coastline as an "extremely dangerous major hurricane" that will affect college football and potentially NFL and MLB games this week.
    As of early Tuesday afternoon, most conferences and leagues were still monitoring the storm, which is expected to make landfall Thursday night, but schedule changes were beginning to roll in.
    One of the most high-profile games scheduled for this weekend has been called off, with No. 18 Central Florida announcing Tuesday its game at North Carolina has been canceled. The schools "will continue to discuss the feasibility of playing the game at a later date this season."

Coastal Carolina's home Sun Belt game against Campbell, scheduled for Saturday in Conway, S.C., near Myrtle Beach, has been moved to Wednesday at Campbell in Buies Creek, N.C., more than 100 miles from the Atlantic coast.
    With maximum sustained winds near 130 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center, Florence's most dangerous aspect could be the amount of rain it could dump as it moves up the East Coast after making landfall, with flooding and power outages expected across the Carolinas, Virginia and West Virginia early on.

Among the college football games that stand to be affected (all times ET):
    • No. 18 Central Florida at North Carolina, noon
    • East Carolina at No. 11 Virginia Tech, 12:20 p.m.
    • Ohio at Virginia, 3 p.m.
    • Georgia Southern at No. 2 Clemson, 3:30 p.m.
    • No. 15 West Virginia at North Carolina State, 3:30 p.m.
    • Southern Miss at Appalachian State, 3:30 p.m.
    • Old Dominion at Charlotte, 6 p.m.
    • Norfolk State at Liberty, 6 p.m.
    • Marshall at South Carolina, 7:30 p.m.
    In the NFL, the Redskins are scheduled to host the Colts on Sunday. The Panthers, however, are on the road against the Falcons.
    Meanwhile, games affecting MLB pennant races likely will be impacted by Florence.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16073

Quote Originally Posted by deltgen View Post
    I'm am running the risk of being perceived as an insensitive prick, but let me ask you guys living in the region a question: I have a flight next Sunday from LAX to London, but a stop and plane change in Charlotte. Have you guys heard anything as far ahead as Sunday night? All the info I get is just for the next few days and can't find any info about airport closures. Will things be at least slightly normal then or am I looking at something like a 48 hour layover instead of two hours?
    sounds like American Airlines? I would call them now and they can probably re route you through another city. I wouldn't take the chance as I fly all the time and so much as a bug on the windshield will cause a delay let alone a disaster like a hurricane
    Points Awarded:

deltgen gave Booya711 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jjgold

It’s already weakening a couple of coastal areas and the rest will just get some rain no worries most places go relax

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11570

Run for your lives!!! The perfect storm reforming.. Got 2 more days before it builds strength again and hits the coastal areas..

unusialsusp5

It’s already weakening a couple of coastal areas and the rest will just get some rain no worries most places go relax
    it's going to be a weak category 3 with winds you can drive a car faster than. i'll concede there will be flooding but probably the 40th time in the last 50 years they have been flooded there. it will recede. charlotte predicted to get 1.3" of rain. they need more.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10986

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    Tell this guy that the winds aren't that bad...

God help you if you listen to nuts like JJ regarding hurricane safety precautions. It's real easy for him to say "not to worry", while he's in his trailer 2,500 miles out of harms way.

jjgold

America now ulta over reaction to everything for news

We never saw all this stuff on tv

If your smart nothing happens to you if hurricanes hit close to your location

unusialsusp5

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Tell this guy that the winds aren't that bad...

God help you if you listen to nuts like JJ regarding hurricane safety precautions. It's real easy for him to say "not to worry", while he's in his trailer 2,500 miles out of harms way.
    looks like he drowned in a sea of mud. maybe he was knocked over by a wind gust though. why wasn't this poor soul inside a building instead of outside when this allegedly happened. makes no sense.
    Last edited by unusialsusp5; 09-11-18 at 06:15 PM. Reason: why was he outside

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11653

Coastal Carolinas and VA gonna get their doors blown off.

This is gonna suck.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1515

Trump......."They haven't seen anything like what's coming at us in 25, 30 years, maybe ever. It's tremendously big and tremendously wet."

jjgold

Every Cane gets bigger and bigger in media

Next we will hear about a 100ft wave coming

unusialsusp5

Every Cane gets bigger and bigger in media

Next we will hear about a 100ft wave coming
    media is trying their best to drum up interest in this category 3 storm. a lot riding on this ratings book wise. no one will be on the coast when it hits anyway and structures which have been hit numerous times not noteworthy or newsworthy.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 316

It's blown over proportion. Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart are cashing in on people's fears.

deltgen
    deltgen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4528

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    sounds like American Airlines? I would call them now and they can probably re route you through another city. I wouldn't take the chance as I fly all the time and so much as a bug on the windshield will cause a delay let alone a disaster like a hurricane
    Thanks for the advice, Booya711. It is indeed American. They sent me an email yesterday advising me of a possibility of complications, and told me that change fees would be waived but that I'd have to pay difference in fares. Reasonable I thought, until I went to the link they provided and there were only a few options available with extra payment involved, all between $3000 and $10000. In this day and age of the internet, it didn't even cross my mind to call them on the phone but after your advice I did so, and I have been re-routed at no charge whatsoever, and even got the aisle seats that I prefer. Thanks again.

First 123 Last