Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 432

WNBA Player Compares Their Salaries To NBA Ones

After being selected No. 1 overall in the WNBA draft this past April, former South Carolina women's basketball star A'ja Wilson signed a three-year deal with her new team, the Las Vegas Aces, worth an average of $55,052 per year, with a team option worth $67,020 for a fourth season.

That rookie scale contract isn't the biggest deal a WNBA player can sign — the maximum salary for anyone in the league for 2018 is $115,500. But any of those numbers pale in comparison to the deals that NBA players get, including Wilson's No. 1 pick counterpart, Deandre Ayton, who will get more than $6.8 million in his first season with the Phoenix Suns, and superstar LeBron James, who recently agreed to sign a four-year, $153.3 million deal with the Los Angeles Lakers.

The former contract, which was first reported Sunday, was obviously huge news in basketball circles, and Wilson used it as an opportunity to point out the massive wage gap between NBA and WNBA players.

"154M ........... must. be. nice. We over here looking for a (million) but Lord, let me get back in my lane," Wilson wrote on Twitter.

Wilson is not the first to note the gap or advocate for better pay for female basketball players, but her tweet set off a flurry of commentary as various social media users attacked the idea.

The former Gamecock swiped back at the criticism, however. She pointed out that arguments about the difference in the leagues' revenues ignores the fact that the WNBA's collective bargaining agreement guarantees players a lower percentage of revenues, noted that even bench NBA players get paid more than WNBA stars and fired back at those who mocked the women's game.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

My bad. Did a search on her name before I posted it to avoid a repeat, and evidently no one typed in the name "A'ja".

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    this thread OP gives a bit more info and more accurate title IMO

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Must be nice to be a 21 year old woman and get paid 55K a year to play a game that no one gives a fukk about, meanwhile men all over the country are busting their asses 50 hours a week to make that same kind of money.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

The WNBA makes 25 million dollars a year and the NBA makes over 7 billion.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

This was a big point of contention a couple of years ago with the Women's national soccer team.

SJWs came out in full force. But I don't think even SJWs are dumb enough to touch this one.

ArunSh
    ArunSh's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 51473

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    This was a big point of contention a couple of years ago with the Women's national soccer team.

SJWs came out in full force. But I don't think even SJWs are dumb enough to touch this one.

Not sure I would agree with that. I remember distinctly when the argument about the pay of the US Women's Soccer Team vs the Men's came up, several SJWs were pointing out how the women's team is clearly more successful than the men's due to better success on the world stage (which is true really as the women have won the world cup multiple times while the men never have). But then many of those SJWs were further concluding based on the aforementioned fact that the women's team would beat the men's team if they played against each other (mega LOL) so they should get equal/better pay due to that as well.

Whatever anyone's argument might be in regards to the pay issue, if you say something as stupid as the US women's soccer team would beat the men's, I'm curious how you expect anyone to take anything else you say seriously. If you actually believe that, then you are dumb enough that your opinion is irrelevant. If you don't believe it and are just saying that as a way to bolster your position, well then you still are pretty dumb if you think saying something so ridiculous is going to make people more inclined to listen to your other opinions/arguments.

In any case, if there are SJWs silly enough to make arguments like the one above, pretty sure there are going to be some out there who are willing to touch this one too!
    Last edited by ArunSh; 07-10-18 at 12:49 AM.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19605

Someone you tell Miss Chump that the NBA subsidizes beaver ball; without the men, there are no women.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

It sucks to be famous and make no money, though they get decent money in Europe if they want to go there.

xKMACKx
    xKMACKx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8449

Dumbasses couldn't pass a 100 level econ class.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11162

Diana Taurus got paid millions overseas. But most women won't get near that. It's all about what you generate. If you can get people to watch then advertisers will pay. If you can get butt in seats then arenas will pay. Unfortunately for them, it is not a heavily watched sport. The women know going in that there's no money in it. It's there choice. If a woman comes along and transcends the sport like an MJ, they will get paid accordingly. I don't see that in my lifetime.

Womens tennis players can make more money than men because it's just as popular. It's a numbers game. More people watching means more money. Very simple.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3521

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Diana Taurus got paid millions overseas. But most women won't get near that. It's all about what you generate. If you can get people to watch then advertisers will pay. If you can get butt in seats then arenas will pay. Unfortunately for them, it is not a heavily watched sport. The women know going in that there's no money in it. It's there choice. If a woman comes along and transcends the sport like an MJ, they will get paid accordingly. I don't see that in my lifetime.

Womens tennis players can make more money than men because it's just as popular. It's a numbers game. More people watching means more money. Very simple.
    Lisa Leslie was the only chick I remember hearing about,she was the one that was meant to make the WNBA the next big thing,never really took off.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 07-10-18 at 02:43 AM.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Quote Originally Posted by ArunSh View Post
    Not sure I would agree with that. I remember distinctly when the argument about the pay of the US Women's Soccer Team vs the Men's came up, several SJWs were pointing out how the women's team is clearly more successful than the men's due to better success on the world stage (which is true really as the women have won the world cup multiple times while the men never have). But then many of those SJWs were further concluding based on the aforementioned fact that the women's team would beat the men's team if they played against each other (mega LOL) so they should get equal/better pay due to that as well.

Whatever anyone's argument might be in regards to the pay issue, if you say something as stupid as the US women's soccer team would beat the men's, I'm curious how you expect anyone to take anything else you say seriously. If you actually believe that, then you are dumb enough that your opinion is irrelevant. If you don't believe it and are just saying that as a way to bolster your position, well then you still are pretty dumb if you think saying something so ridiculous is going to make people more inclined to listen to your other opinions/arguments.

In any case, if there are SJWs silly enough to make arguments like the one above, pretty sure there are going to be some out there who are willing to touch this one too!
    We'll see. Man, I hope they do. Would be a bloodbath on Twitter.

As with anyone that far left, they have no understanding of business and how the world works.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

These girls make lots of money over seas

Griner 1 million per year same with Taurasi and other big games off season

juicername
    Thomorino - Fade and Get Paid
    juicername's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3972

Barely anyone watches WNBA.

Without betting on the games it would only be friends and family.

Flashmo
    Flashmo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24327

Quote Originally Posted by xKMACKx View Post
    Dumbasses couldn't pass a 100 level econ class.
    you are giving them too much credit..they couldn't pass a high school civics test

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I think NBA keeps it funded ??

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

they make 55k? holy shit

reigle9

seriously thought they were playing for gas money

reigle9

*and wine money

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by reigle9 View Post
    they make 55k? holy shit
    Most of us make more doing a 9 to 5

BestPlay2day
    BestPlay2day's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5087

WNBA players need a reality check comparing their worth/abilities to NBA players. I don’t think they want equal pay like NBA players, that’s not realistic. It would be like an accounting clerk wondering why the CEO makes more than they do.
    Last edited by BestPlay2day; 07-10-18 at 02:24 PM.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16133

I hate people that complain about salary. It is your decision to take the job or not. If you accept the contract, how do you have the right to bitch and whine?

robbypark
    robbypark's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1313

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    That's not true. The Men's game is far more popular, both in ticket revenue and television ratings. No female tennis player will ever make anywhere near the same amount as Federer, Nadal or Djokovic. Secondly, although the prize money at grand slams are the same, the men are paid far more at ATP events than the females at WTA events.

Not that I'm complaining. Women's tennis sucks. If anything, women players are lucky as hell to get equal pay at grand slams.

packerd_00

I'm surprised it's continued to stay afloat to be honest,they should just be lucky their earning a paycheck,if the Leagues only making 25 million in revenue,you're just above water as it is.

robbypark
    robbypark's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1313

There are definitely some dumb ass people out there. The USWNT had an exhibition game against the FC Dallas youth U-15 boys team and got smashed 5-2. Can you imagine a game against ANY men's national team on earth? It would be 15-0 minimum.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: packerd_00

7deuceoff$uit
    7deuceoff$uit's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 460

Skill set and revenue aside, which are larger gaps than this, she also failed to point out the gap of their seasons. 34 games vs 82 games, and if you factor in the extra 2 minutes per quarter, the NBA players play about 64-65 more WNBA games or between 53-54 NBA games.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11162

Quote Originally Posted by robbypark View Post
    That's not true. The Men's game is far more popular, both in ticket revenue and television ratings. No female tennis player will ever make anywhere near the same amount as Federer, Nadal or Djokovic. Secondly, although the prize money at grand slams are the same, the men are paid far more at ATP events than the females at WTA events.
    Not that I'm complaining. Women's tennis sucks. If anything, women players are lucky as hell to get equal pay at grand slams.
    I personally rather watch women's tennis than men. At least for the last decade or 2. The men's is too long and boring for me. Woman have garnered great ratings, even beating the men's at several major events. Which is why the pay is very similar. But I agree that more people watch men's tennis overall BUT there are many reasons for that, one of which the men have the better match times/coveted time slots. The men also play much more tennis, especially best out of 5 sets. But you are crazy if you think a men's opening round match will get higher ratings than a woman's grand slam final.

It has nothing to do with luck with the woman's game. It's supply and demand. People watch woman play tennis, although it sounds like you don't. You are probably surprised that almost half of the top 30 money earners EVER in tennis are woman. So no, I'm not buying your assertion that men are paid FAR MORE.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tenni...n-women-2017-1
    You also cherry picked by taking the 3 highest paid players in Tennis history. Way to set the bar. If you looked closer, you would have seen Serena sitting at #4 ($25 million more than Andy Murray). How many other players (men) have made $85+ million in lifetime earnings like Serena? Nobody. She makes more than 97% of the other men on tour. Sharapova made more money ON and OFF the court per year than Djokovic did in 2016. You can't just look at on the court money. Tennis is the one woman's sport where the top women can out earn the average men. They won't necessarily out earn the top men but they can come very damn close. The only other sports I can think of is UFC for a one hit wonder like Rhonda Rousey or race car driving like Danica Patrick.

Either way, in order for you to make money in tennis (male and female) is for you to be a top 25 type player. Everybody else is pretty much broke. My niece was the #1 under 16 player at one time and was ranked as high as #46 in the world. She quit the sport to go work on Wall Street.

ArunSh
    ArunSh's Avatar SBR PRO

Another reply:

http://thefederalist.com/2018/07/11/...eyre-overpaid/

Personally I wonder what would happen if the NBA did the smart business thing and just stopped running/subsidizing the WNBA altogether (meaning it went away). Then people like her would have to get a different job so they wouldn't have any mythical wage gap to complain about right? So that would make everyone happy yes? Seems like the proper plan to me...
    Last edited by ArunSh; 07-11-18 at 12:13 PM.

ArunSh
    ArunSh's Avatar SBR PRO

As I said on the other thread, if hypothetically the salaries of these WNBA players was raised (not necessarily to the level of NBA players but raised by a reasonable % at least), then where is the $ to pay those higher salaries supposed to come from? Again the WNBA as an entity loses $ every year so...

I'm genuinely curious if someone were to ask her where she expects the $ to pay higher salaries for her and the other players is supposed to come from what her response would be.

7deuceoff$uit

As I said on the other thread, if hypothetically the salaries of these WNBA players was raised (not necessarily to the level of NBA players but raised by a reasonable % at least), then where is the $ to pay those higher salaries supposed to come from? Again the WNBA as an entity loses $ every year so...

I'm genuinely curious if someone were to ask her where she expects the $ to pay higher salaries for her and the other players is supposed to come from what her response would be.
    I'm sure she would "clap back".

ArunSh
    ArunSh's Avatar SBR PRO

Perhaps she and the others should take a queue from others who are dissatisfied with their "work conditions" and go on strike! That's the best way to affect change in the work place if you feel your employer is treating you unfairly, no?

So pretty clear what their action should be if they are dissatisfied. Only they obviously won't since they know the reaction to that would be basically that they would be laughed at and the immediate reaction would be "Ok, let's just shut the WNBA down - no one cares about it anyway so if you are so dissatisfied with it yourselves, no need to run it". Those who go on strike know that their "labor" is needed so have some chance to affect change by refusing to work. These players obviously know that their labor isn't desired so can't do the same - simple economics again.

They're probably smart enough to realize that going on strike would not be effective for that very reason though I'm sure they would never admit to it publicly.

7deuceoff$uit

Perhaps she and the others should take a queue from others who are dissatisfied with their "work conditions" and go on strike! That's the best way to affect change in the work place if you feel your employer is treating you unfairly, no?

So pretty clear what their action should be if they are dissatisfied. Only they obviously won't since they know the reaction to that would be basically that they would be laughed at and the immediate reaction would be "Ok, let's just shut the WNBA down - no one cares about it anyway so if you are so dissatisfied with it yourselves, no need to run it". Those who go on strike know that their "labor" is needed so have some chance to affect change by refusing to work. These players obviously know that their labor isn't desired so can't do the same - simple economics again.

They're probably smart enough to realize that going on strike would not be effective for that very reason though I'm sure they would never admit to it publicly.
    NBA owners who are helping the WNBA stay afloat would love this. Lol!

12 Last