turkkatarian
    turkkatarian's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17681

Can Somebody Help Me with NBA Players Salary Question?

Guys I wanna Ask, HOW THE HECK DO THESE NBA TEAMS Pay These Players So Much God Dam Money Hundreds of Millions Over and Over And Over?? Even Scrubs are Getting Paid Ridic Money!

Question 2. Where does the Money Come From?? Us dumb Fans or Where??

Question 3. Doesn't this Crazy Money Ruin the Integrity of the Sport? What's the incentive to Bust Your ass when you know you Have a Guaranteed 5 Years $150 million Win Lose Or Draw No Matter What. Its Like WTF!!

There is No Way These Jerks deserve that kind of Money. How do these teams turn a Profit?? Are us fans really That Dumb??

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

If the salaries were an issue, the owners wouldn’t pay them. Pro franchises are a license to print money.

Nba players have a skill set that people pay to watch.

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

If the employees are compensated that well just imagine the owners...

NrmlCurvSurfr

...and if the networks are able to pay out so much...think about what those guys are making...

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16097

Because of dumbfukks that go buy hats, jerseys, socks, anything with the NBA brand and/or teams
    Points Awarded:

lakerboy gave Booya711 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

bigbubbafade
    bigbubbafade's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2456

ESPN pays the NBA a truckload of money in the name of liberalism. Between $7-8 of every cable subscription goes towards ESPN.

So, in essence, if you pay for cable, you help pay these salaries.

NrmlCurvSurfr

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    Because of dumbfukks that go buy hats, jerseys, socks, anything with the NBA brand and/or teams
    got to be a drop in the bucket compared to what the networks pay out...think about it, EVERYONE has cable tv(not me i have never given them a dime)...but normal people have cable, tons of money flowing in

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Quote Originally Posted by NrmlCurvSurfr View Post
    If the employees are compensated that well just imagine the owners...
    nobody ever talk about the money the owners must be making its always about the players

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

Its pretty Damn simple...12 guys on a team compared to 25 and 54 for mlb and NFL.

Of course they are going to make more indidivudlaly.

Or would you rather billionaire owners just pocket more...

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

television, bro, televison

anyone remember how much that old racist clipper owner got paid when he was forced to sell his franchise?

Here's a comparison of how the NBA deal stacks up against the other North American pro sports:
    League Broadcaster Length Contract
    NBA ABC, ESPN, TNT To 2024-25 $24 billion
    NHL Rogers (Canada)
    NBC, Versus (U.S.)
    To 2025
    To 2023
    $5.2 billion
    $2 billion
    NFL Fox, CBS, NBC, ESPN To 2022 $27 billion
    MLB Fox, TBS, ESPN To 2012 $12.4 billion
    MLS TSN (Canada)
    ESPN, Fox Sports (U.S.)
    To 2016
    To 2022
    Not published
    $600 million
    CFL TSN, RDS To 2018 $150-180 million

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: spurginobili, and seaborneq

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    television, bro, televison

anyone remember how much that old racist clipper owner got paid when he was forced to sell his franchise?

Here's a comparison of how the NBA deal stacks up against the other North American pro sports:
    League Broadcaster Length Contract
    NBA ABC, ESPN, TNT To 2024-25 $24 billion
    NHL Rogers (Canada)
    NBC, Versus (U.S.)
    To 2025
    To 2023
    $5.2 billion
    $2 billion
    NFL Fox, CBS, NBC, ESPN To 2022 $27 billion
    MLB Fox, TBS, ESPN To 2012 $12.4 billion
    MLS TSN (Canada)
    ESPN, Fox Sports (U.S.)
    To 2016
    To 2022
    Not published
    $600 million
    CFL TSN, RDS To 2018 $150-180 million

Hockey is a 3rd world sport based on tv contracts.

dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

Quote Originally Posted by bigbubbafade View Post
    ESPN pays the NBA a truckload of money in the name of liberalism. Between $7-8 of every cable subscription goes towards ESPN.

So, in essence, if you pay for cable, you help pay these salaries.
    This

The vast majority of those who pay for these salaries never watch them play

It's bad business and the cable companies are starting to pay for it. It will correct itself and then the party will be over

turkkatarian

But isn't it about WINNING?????? I'm seeing a WHOLE BUNCH of SCRUBS Cashing Out HUGGGE Contracts GUARANTEED and their god dam teams are in in the LOTTERY every year with No Playoff Chances in Sight. Its Like WTF?? So winning Doesn't Matter???

NrmlCurvSurfr

Quote Originally Posted by turkkatarian View Post
    But isn't it about WINNING?????? I'm seeing a WHOLE BUNCH of SCRUBS Cashing Out HUGGGE Contracts GUARANTEED and their god dam teams are in in the LOTTERY every year with No Playoff Chances in Sight. Its Like WTF?? So winning Doesn't Matter???
    its not about winning...the game can't be played without players. Win or lose, good or bad, viewers are still watching(paying) so the show must go on...

turkkatarian

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    nobody ever talk about the money the owners must be making its always about the players
    Yeah but The Owners Are The Ones Who TOOK the Chance way back when on buying a Franchise. Thats why it never bothers me when the owners make the Money. But it IRKS me to Shizz when Scrubs get Paid Like Mad for Being a LOSING Product.

turkkatarian

its not about winning...the game can't be played without players. Win or lose, good or bad, viewers are still watching(paying) so the show must go on...
    So you are saying is that Every Parent should want their son to be a Basketball Player instead of a Doctor/Lawyer/Surgeon/Teacher etc etc. I Find it Hard to fathom a mediocre Basketball player on a Losing Team making More then 100 Neurosurgeon Doctors combined.

dlowilly

But they aren't watching and they aren't generating that income so it's some sort of perverted trickle up wealth redistribution

Game can't be played without players but those same players would play for much less. At the very least that extra money should go to cable company shareholders.

dlowilly

Yeah but The Owners Are The Ones Who TOOK the Chance way back when on buying a Franchise. Thats why it never bothers me when the owners make the Money. But it IRKS me to Shizz when Scrubs get Paid Like Mad for Being a LOSING Product.
    Exactly right

It would be one thing if people were paying all that to watch them but it's actually just an underhanded money grab from non fans

Don't hold your breath for any knees to be taken and protests to be held over it though

NrmlCurvSurfr

So you are saying is that Every Parent should want their son to be a Basketball Player instead of a Doctor/Lawyer/Surgeon/Teacher etc etc. I Find it Hard to fathom a mediocre Basketball player on a Losing Team making More then 100 Neurosurgeon Doctors combined.
    do some research on where all that money is coming from and it will be a little more clear...look at the numbers involved, the salaries make perfect sense. If there were ever a nationally televised neurosurgeon pro league that generated billions of dollars a year, then thats when you will see neurosurgeons making similar money to todays pro athletes...

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

the market bears what the market can bear

free market capitalism

this isn't about debating whether a neuro surgeon, teacher, sports star, or stripper is paid appropriately in proportion to the value they each contribute to society.

that is a different conversation

Venom72
    Venom72's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 974

Don the mlb contracts bother you as well? Talk about overpaying

NrmlCurvSurfr

Quote Originally Posted by dlowilly View Post
    But they aren't watching and they aren't generating that income so it's some sort of perverted trickle up wealth redistribution

Game can't be played without players but those same players would play for much less. At the very least that extra money should go to cable company shareholders.
    if people weren't paying for cable the tv contracts would not be what they are. With an ever-growing population expect all these "ridiculous" numbers to keep climbing.

I could honestly see NBA, MLB possibly going international at some point, in some form or another. We might see a billion dollar player contract in our lifetime.

turkkatarian

do some research on where all that money is coming from and it will be a little more clear...look at the numbers involved, the salaries make perfect sense. If there were ever a nationally televised neurosurgeon pro league that generated billions of dollars a year, then thats when you will see neurosurgeons making similar money to todays pro athletes...
    That's My Exact Question. WHERE DO THE NBA OWNERS Get The Money To Pay These PSYCHOTIC Salaries? Where does the Money Come From?

dlowilly

if people weren't paying for cable the tv contracts would not be what they are. With an ever-growing population expect all these "ridiculous" numbers to keep climbing.

I could honestly see NBA, MLB possibly going international at some point, in some form or another. We might see a billion dollar player contract in our lifetime.
    But the distribution of the revenue is highly flawed and this growing population is more familiar with streaming alternatives. So much of the current cable business is older people who aren't interested in figuring out how to switch from cable.

Only reason they can get away with it right now is because there is no a la carte channel offering

I'm not blaming the players of course they should get what they can, but cable subscriptions are plummeting partly because of this crap so it can't last. All this shouldn't be surprising, look at how they prop up the WNBA when the money isn't there

NrmlCurvSurfr

That's My Exact Question. WHERE DO THE NBA OWNERS Get The Money To Pay These PSYCHOTIC Salaries? Where does the Money Come From?
    people paying for TV...that is where the money is coming from... 10's of millions of people spend hundreds if not thousands a year on tv, then the networks get a cut, then they pay gigantic contracts to the leagues for broadcast rights, without players there is no league, so owners hire these guys to play a game that people watch...its actually very simple, not trying to be a dik and maybe you are trolling but i don't see how this is hard to grasp.

NrmlCurvSurfr

But the distribution of the revenue is highly flawed and this growing population is more familiar with streaming alternatives. So much of the current cable business is older people who aren't interested in figuring out how to switch from cable.

Only reason they can get away with it right now is because there is no a la carte channel offering

I'm not blaming the players of course they should get what they can, but cable subscriptions are plummeting partly because of this crap so it can't last. All this shouldn't be surprising, look at how they prop up the WNBA when the money isn't there
    that is only good for the consumer...so of course its not offered

dlowilly

that is only good for the consumer...so of course its not offered
    But it is through other services so that's why this money will dry up

Not many people are going to pay directly to watch the NBA

NrmlCurvSurfr

if viewership continues to rise. networks, owners, cable providers etc will figure out how to profit...it might even streamline the entire operation...rather than charging 100/mo for 200 channels, they can charge 40/mo for 10 channels...the networks profit margin could grow as they are not propping up channels that nobody watches...people don't pay for cable for all the 150 obscure channels, they want sports/big network shows.

dlowilly

if viewership continues to rise. networks, owners, cable providers etc will figure out how to profit...it might even streamline the entire operation...rather than charging 100/mo for 200 channels, they can charge 40/mo for 10 channels...the networks profit margin could grow as they are not propping up channels that nobody watches...people don't pay for cable for all the 150 obscure channels, they want sports/big network shows.
    They can adapt and contort all they want

If they are making people who don't watch the NBA pay the NBA it's going to correct itself

It would be even harder to sneak in an NBA airing channel into a 10 channel package too

NrmlCurvSurfr

But it is through other services so that's why this money will dry up

Not many people are going to pay directly to watch the NBA
    I do think the industry is going through big changes. But the broadcast rights to these sports will always be for sale. If I'm a cable provider I'm figuring out how to buy every single streaming service on the planet. One way or another the leagues will continue to demand large contracts as long as viewership and sponsorship continues to rise.

dlowilly

I do think the industry is going through big changes. But the broadcast rights to these sports will always be for sale. If I'm a cable provider I'm figuring out how to buy every single streaming service on the planet. One way or another the leagues will continue to demand large contracts as long as viewership and sponsorship continues to rise.
    I just don't see it

These big contracts are the result of poorly managed, faltering companies way overpaying for rights. They will either learn from those mistakes or go out of business.

NrmlCurvSurfr

one idea i had a while back...if I'm a cable provider, I would figure out how to be an internet provider(many companies have been doing this for a long time)...why own the boat when you can own the ocean...

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Whats sick is there is like no difference in talent between the guys who get 18 million and 2 million. Or a scrub like Joe Harris and a good player like Will Barton get the same money.

Biyombo gets 18 million Jeff Green 2.5 makes sense.

NrmlCurvSurfr

The real money here is made through advertising...that is the main thing to consider. Sports is just the bait used to reel in the viewer...i don't think the platform really matters all that much in the long run. Companies will either find a different bait, or find a new way to deliver it..as long as people are biting, poles are in the water and companies will continue to innovate or die.

NBA and MLB are tasty baits. I think they will be around for a while and continue to demand a high price as long as they keep attracting people.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

who cares about winning and losing really when youre still making boatloads, youre only 1 team amongst 30+ if you win great if not well the odds were against it, its a show, entertainment. this is nothing but the old roman coliseum. all in all it was created to be a distraction.
    Last edited by jtoler; 07-08-18 at 07:46 PM.

12 Last