1. #36
    ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-27-09
    Posts: 9,471
    Betpoints: 4175

    Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    Bird needed to work on his 3 point shot

    very over rated in that category
    Tee hee.
    Bird :He finished his career with averages of more than 24 points, 10 rebounds and 6 assists per game, while shooting 49.6% from the field, 88.6% from the free throw line and 37.6% from three-point range.
    And add this little tidbit; his last three years were average at best, being injured routinely and downright hardly able to play a full game.

    Jordan:
    True , Michael wasn't what you would call an automatic three-point shooter, but he was never that throughout his career. In 13 seasons, Michael shot 33.2 percent for his career from beyond the three-point arc, but because of his greatness, once he got on a roll he could shoot you out of a game by hitting three-pointer after three-pointer. Once again though, that was developed over the 13 years.

    * This is a 100% example of how these younger members know little of what they think they know.
    I already knew what they thought they knew. This is a major reason for this thread.

  2. #37
    Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-22-08
    Posts: 63,130
    Betpoints: 2368

    117. Mike James .3789
    118. Mo Williams .3784
    Cuttino Mobley .3784
    120. Vladimir Radmanovic .3783
    Terry Dehere .3783
    Bojan Bogdanovic .3783
    123. Danny Ainge .3780
    124. Kerry Kittles .3776
    125. Mike Conley .3772
    126. Marco Belinelli .3771
    127. Mike Dunleavy .3769
    128. Lee Mayberry .3767
    Chandler Parsons .3767
    130. Eric Gordon .3763
    D.J. Augustin .3763
    Richard Jefferson .3763
    133. Paul George .3762
    134. Patrick Beverley .3761
    Josh Richardson .3761
    136. Nick Young .3759
    137. Larry Bird* .3758
    138. Anthony Tolliver .3756
    139. Kirk Hinrich

  3. #38
    Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-22-08
    Posts: 63,130
    Betpoints: 2368

    Bird most under-rated rebounder in modern NBA history IMO

  4. #39
    ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-27-09
    Posts: 9,471
    Betpoints: 4175

    Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    Bird most under-rated rebounder in modern NBA history IMO
    I would wager, Bird lost 5, maybe 10 percentage points off his 3-point shooting percentage, those last 3 seasons?
    Be was simply too banged up.

  5. #40
    Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-22-08
    Posts: 63,130
    Betpoints: 2368

    Quote Originally Posted by ABEHONEST View Post
    I would wager, Bird lost 5, maybe 10 percentage points off his 3-point shooting percentage, those last 3 seasons?
    Be was simply too banged up.
    ok let's wager on it

  6. #41
    ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-27-09
    Posts: 9,471
    Betpoints: 4175

    What player won the most annual three-point shooting contests?

  7. #42
    Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-22-08
    Posts: 63,130
    Betpoints: 2368

    500 point wager says Bird's last 3 years not only didn't hurt his 3point shooting % by 5-10 points?

    hell, maybe those last 3 years even helped his percentage

    we on?

  8. #43
    GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-05-10
    Posts: 9,983
    Betpoints: 1902

    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: grease lightnin

  9. #44
    ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-27-09
    Posts: 9,471
    Betpoints: 4175

    Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    500 point wager says Bird's last 3 years not only didn't hurt his 3point shooting % by 5-10 points?

    hell, maybe those last 3 years even helped his percentage

    we on?
    Well, not without checking first. No. But with his serious injuries, maybe he stayed safely outside more often and shot more from there rather than risk those drives to the basket?
    What's your info telling you?

  10. #45
    Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-22-08
    Posts: 63,130
    Betpoints: 2368

    Quote Originally Posted by ABEHONEST View Post
    What's your info telling you?
    that you make young and dumb impulsive like statements

    but don't have balls to back up with an actual wager

  11. #46
    ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-27-09
    Posts: 9,471
    Betpoints: 4175

    Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    that you make young and dumb impulsive like statements

    but don't have balls to back up with an actual wager
    Ha, ha. You mean I win every debate on this thread, but, when I am not sure of a different opinion, I should go all in?
    Sorry bud, that's a sucker bet and from what I've seen on my thread; how could these so-called-gamblers be so wrong about a player, yet, expect to win a sports bet?

    And I didn't wager after you challenged me. Only said I would wager but you didn't offer a price did you?
    So, I see he didn't lose any points those last 3 years [ or gain] and I explained to you, if he didn't, then he probably had to change his reckless game plan.

    You are so sorry for yourself because you didn't challenge me for a sum of points? Too bad for you. Knowing me, I would have taken your bet, even without checking.
    Lost opportunity, so don't blame me.

    You'll improve with time but some of these jerks on SBR are a lost cause. I like that.

  12. #47
    ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-27-09
    Posts: 9,471
    Betpoints: 4175

    Quote Originally Posted by ABEHONEST View Post
    Ha, ha. You mean I win every debate on this thread, but, when I am not sure of a different opinion, I should go all in?
    Sorry bud, that's a sucker bet and from what I've seen on my thread; how could these so-called-gamblers be so wrong about a player, yet, expect to win a sports bet?

    And I didn't wager after you challenged me. Only said I would wager but you didn't offer a price did you?
    So, I see he didn't lose any points those last 3 years [ or gain] and I explained to you, if he didn't, then he probably had to change his reckless game plan.

    You are so sorry for yourself because you didn't challenge me for a sum of points? Too bad for you. Knowing me, I would have taken your bet, even without checking.
    Lost opportunity, so don't blame me.

    You'll improve with time but some of these jerks on SBR are a lost cause. I like that.
    Okay, I see you did say 500 points but I had already checked to see what the real stats were. You came on too strong and you would have won if you were't so obviously already loaded for bear. 500 points?

  13. #48
    Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-10-10
    Posts: 13,024
    Betpoints: 41120

    Even Larry Bird would say you are an idiot Abe.

    Larry was a tremendous player but not the best of all time. This coming from a Celtics fan.

    Do the world a favor and walk into rush hour traffic.

  14. #49
    Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-22-08
    Posts: 63,130
    Betpoints: 2368

    Quote Originally Posted by ABEHONEST View Post
    What player won the most annual three-point shooting contests?
    One of the all time great players and shooters in NBA history!!!

    Craig Hodges, right?

  15. #50
    phinfan27615
    1972
    phinfan27615's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-10-17
    Posts: 1,828
    Betpoints: 2262

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBusiness View Post
    The only thing I can guarantee in this thread is.......

    ABEHONEST is definitely a white guy as a black guy would never in a million years have Larry Bird as the greatest basketball player of all time.



    Larry Bird = GREAT WHITE HOPE
    I believe Isaiah Thomas said something similar to what you're insinuating. Remind me how that worked out for him?

  16. #51
    ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-27-09
    Posts: 9,471
    Betpoints: 4175

    Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Even Larry Bird would say you are an idiot Abe.

    Larry was a tremendous player but not the best of all time. This coming from a Celtics fan.

    Do the world a favor and walk into rush hour traffic.
    Grits is always speaking of death? Not himself of course but someone else.
    One last chance Dirty Grits, who's your black guy as the GOAT?
    * And guys, if you have a different opinion, I cannot see through a plastic computer screen? Duh.

  17. #52
    Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-10-10
    Posts: 13,024
    Betpoints: 41120

    Quote Originally Posted by ABEHONEST View Post
    Grits is always speaking of death? Not himself of course but someone else.
    One last chance Dirty Grits, who's your black guy as the GOAT?
    * And guys, if you have a different opinion, I cannot see through a plastic computer screen? Duh.
    Jordan is the best I’ve ever seen. Can’t speak on Wilt, Russell or any of the other older guys because I never saw them play.

    If Bird was GOAT, how come he lost titles to Magic and Lakers?

  18. #53
    ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-27-09
    Posts: 9,471
    Betpoints: 4175

    Who's the best in these categories?

    NBA BASKETBALL CATEGORIES
    10 points for the toughest skills to master.

    5 points for the lesser skill to master?
    1. Shooting long? 10. [3-point and longer.
    2. Shooting short? 5. [Inside the 3-point range.
    3. Rebounding while on offense? 10.
    4. Rebounding while on defense? 5.
    5. Assists? 10.
    6. NBA Championships won? 10.
    7. Spectacular Dunking? 5.
    8. Dunking routinely? 5.
    9. Clutch shooting at game ending time? 10.
    * Dribbling doesn't count unless you do it superbly and place high in a category?
    10. Shot blocking, routinely? 5.
    11. Shot blocking while on defense? 10.
    12. Playing with determination, courage, and never giving up no matter the score? 10.
    13. Making his team great by unselfish play-making and other superior skills? The teammate who contributes unconscious play, yet, also blends in with his personal and unique cache of basketball ingredients? 10.
    14. The ability to dominate a game so routinely, you are deemed unstoppable? 10.

    Russell will win easily if using these as a gauge to choose the GOAT. But he wasn't good at shooting the basketball from 15 ft and out. And I am sure as good as he was, nobody cared.
    That may be the difference-maker, though, leaving him at a top 3 or 4, all-time?

    How did your man fare? Yes, biased views are welcome, like, we don't have biased members?
    Last edited by ABEHONEST; 06-22-18 at 04:47 PM.

  19. #54
    2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-26-09
    Posts: 88,966
    Betpoints: 90

    I see after the abomination of claiming bird as the goat you have strengthened your claim to not knowing jack shit by calling wilt 2nd. Basically ignoring the fact he played against a bunch of white midgets for the most part. You really think wilt would drop those numbers against other 7 footers? Please. On the other hand Jordan could have got his in any era. Todayís rules Jordan would easily average 40+ just getting out of bed and far as not playing well w others he does have those 6 rings that say otherwise.

  20. #55
    ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-27-09
    Posts: 9,471
    Betpoints: 4175

    Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Jordan is the best I’ve ever seen. Can’t speak on Wilt, Russell or any of the other older guys because I never saw them play.

    If Bird was GOAT, how come he lost titles to Magic and Lakers?
    LA had a superior team at the time. And how come Jordan allowed Bird to shut him out in matching team,
    NBA playoffs?
    Likely the same answer. I didn't claim my pick was a God.

  21. #56
    ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-27-09
    Posts: 9,471
    Betpoints: 4175

    Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    I see after the abomination of claiming bird as the goat you have strengthened your claim to not knowing jack shit by calling wilt 2nd. Basically ignoring the fact he played against a bunch of white midgets for the most part. You really think wilt would drop those numbers against other 7 footers? Please. On the other hand Jordan could have got his in any era. Today’s rules Jordan would easily average 40+ just getting out of bed and far as not playing well w others he does have those 6 rings that say otherwise.
    Yeah, at 6-4 1/2? He also was not a natural born outside shooter. To be the GOAT, that would be a must.
    Maravich, might even have been better than all these player's mentioned, but alas, no member even knows who the man was. But I go with that 6-9 total package.

  22. #57
    2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-26-09
    Posts: 88,966
    Betpoints: 90

    No he wasnít a natural pure shooter but he also worked on and improved that area of his game. You honestly trying to tell me the stiffs who played in wilts era could have kept Jordan from the rim?? Wilt damn sure couldnít shoot and all the bigs who played in Jordanís era would have checked his ass.

  23. #58
    ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-27-09
    Posts: 9,471
    Betpoints: 4175

    Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    No he wasnít a natural pure shooter but he also worked on and improved that area of his game. You honestly trying to tell me the stiffs who played in wilts era could have kept Jordan from the rim?? Wilt damn sure couldnít shoot and all the bigs who played in Jordanís era would have checked his ass.
    Hey hard-head, check Wilt's records like I asked before.

  24. #59
    deltgen
    deltgen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-31-10
    Posts: 865
    Betpoints: 4528

    Growing up in SoCal, I used to hate Bird (Magic Johnson was our guy) but now that I can be objective--yeah, that dude was a badass. Best ever though--he was a generation before me, but my vote goes to Chamberlain. Alot of these votes tend to be territorial though--many people vote based on who was the main guy when they were watching, or who was the star of their local team, etc., etc. Every so often, my friends and I would get together as kids and while most of us were in agreement that Magic was the best ever, every so often someone would pipe in with a vote for Jordan and we'd have to educate him. Then my dad just had to get this opinion in--Oscar Robertson--and we'd laugh at him, but as a teenager in Wisconsin my dad truly thought the Big O was GOAT.

  25. #60
    ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-27-09
    Posts: 9,471
    Betpoints: 4175

    O was somewhat like Bird and could do all the fundametals such as him.
    But not the blender or the other utmost important ingredient he could do nothing about.
    One 6-5, the other 6-9. That is the one thing O could do nothing about and is not the GOAT, maybe, for that one reason. But, did he even have the 3-pointer at that era of time?

    Bird, many times, had to shoot from 23 ft or longer for his threes. O would have never even tried a shot from that distance.

    Still, no one talks of Maravich? He scared all the black stars to death when he played.
    "Yeah, Bro, I am for real and you black dudes can't touch me."

    And was crazy, from outer space, good.
    This shows why so many of our members... know nothing.

  26. #61
    ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-27-09
    Posts: 9,471
    Betpoints: 4175

    Quote Originally Posted by ABEHONEST View Post
    O was somewhat like Bird and could do all the fundametals such as him.
    But not the blender or the other utmost important ingredient he could do nothing about.
    One 6-5, the other 6-9. That is the one thing O could do nothing about and is not the GOAT, maybe, for that one reason. But, did he even have the 3-pointer at that era of time?

    Bird, many times, had to shoot from 23 ft or longer for his threes. O would have never even tried a shot from that distance.

    Still, no one talks of Maravich? He scared all the black stars to death when he played.
    "Yeah, Bro, I am for real and you black dudes can't touch me."

    And was crazy, from outer space, good.
    This shows why so many of our members... know nothing.
    Okay, no respect for Maravich either? You uneducated in sports, nitwits, need another lesson on basketball phenoms. Thank me in 20 years. I don't expect it til then, so now, I'll take a long nap.

    Punishment must be implemented: Here you go.

    Enjoy what Doc. J says about Pistol.

    Dr. J dishes on Pistol Pete in new autobiographyPosted on 11/22/13 at 9:49 pm
    41
    Erving really comes across as someone who held Maravich in awe. It's a really good read & goes a bit beyond the quote I added below.
    quote:

    Pete Maravich is the most skilled basketball player I've ever seen.
    Add: quote:
    The first time I see Pete in the gym after practice, he's shooting left-hand shots from a seated position. I've never seen anyone do that before.

    quote:
    Just spending time with Pete is funny, because he'll do these things with a basketball I've never seen before when he's just standing around, like spinning it frontwards, then backwards, just changing the direction of the spin with one flick, and it never leaves the tip of his finger.

First 12
Top