Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14

Blackhawk Fans Ejected For "Racially Insensitive" Taunts

During the third period of Saturday’s game between the Washington Capitals and Chicago Blackhawks, Capitals right winger Devante Smith-Pelly was on the receiving end of a racially-charged taunt while serving a penalty for fighting.

According to the Washington Post, Smith-Pelly became upset when a fan sitting near the penalty box directed a chant of “basketball, basketball, basketball” towards him. United Center security removed four fans from the game as a result of the incident, and following the game Capitals head coach Barry Trotz called the behavior “disgusting.”

“There’s absolutely no place in the game of hockey or our country for racism,” Trotz said. “I think it’s disgusting, and there’s no place for it. Athletes in our country don’t deserve that. It just shows ignorance.”

Smith-Pelly did not speak to reporters following the game, with Trotz saying that the forward was visibly upset. Smith-Pelly, who has been in the NHL since the 2011-12 season, is one of two Black players on the Capitals roster with defenseman Madison Bowey being the other.

Also, a statement was released via the Blackhawks’ Twitter account denouncing the behavior of the ejected fans.

“We were made aware of an incident at tonight’s game involving a small group of attendees who made harmful comments directed at Washington Capitals player Devante Smith-Pelly,” a Hawks spokesperson said. “The fans were immediately removed and we apologize to Smith-Pelly and the Washington Capitals organization. We are committed to providing an inclusive environment for everyone who attends our games and these actions will never be tolerated.”

bigbubbafade
    bigbubbafade's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2456

What did I miss here? They chanted "basketball", right?

Sam Losco
    Sam Losco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13678

Quote Originally Posted by bigbubbafade View Post
    What did I miss here? They chanted "basketball", right?
    why would they do that, do you think?

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20012

"Capitals head coach Barry Trotz called the behavior “disgusting.”

Even though the city his team is based in is named after a slave owner.

bigbubbafade

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Losco View Post
    why would they do that, do you think?
    You've got to be kidding. schumer give you your honorary PC badge?

Sam Losco

You've got to be kidding. schumer give you your honorary PC badge?
    so i guess you dont have an answer?

bigbubbafade

You're right I don't... other than they were dunk and it's loud as hell in the chicago arena, and they were heckling the other team... which is a no-no in America today.

"Basketball"... fuggin kidding me.

Sam Losco

You're right I don't... other than they were dunk and it's loud as hell in the chicago arena, and they were heckling the other team... which is a no-no in America today.

"Basketball"... fuggin kidding me.
    heckling is fine as long as you dont cross lines. they really couldnt think on anything other than basketball?

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3244

Whenever I read a headline that says racially insensitive I normally tune it out,it's become the new Libtard moniker.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24681

heckling is fine as long as you dont cross lines. they really couldnt think on anything other than basketball?
    The whole idea of heckling is that you cross lines or at least challenge them. If you can't say "basketball" at a hockey game because it's deemed racially insensitive, then heckling is a dead art form.

Just a bunch of fake outrage from PC commies who probably say far worse behind closed doors.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14

Can't wait until they start chanting "NASCAR" at Kevin Love.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    The whole idea of heckling is that you cross lines or at least challenge them. If you can't say "basketball" at a hockey game because it's deemed racially insensitive, then heckling is a dead art form.

Just a bunch of fake outrage from PC commies who probably say far worse behind closed doors.
    If heckling is meant to cross the lines of racial insensitivity, maybe it should never have existed in the first place.

We all know what the hecklers meant by chanting "basketbal", they're implying that hockey is a sport for white men and the black man should play the sport the other blacks play.

This isn't heckling, this is racism on display that in this day and age should not be tolerated.

There is no fake outrage or pc commies, just a group of 4 white hecklers that crossed the line from fan to racist fan

Seems you're ready to cross the same line

Sam Losco

wheres the creativity in "basketball" as a way of heckling if it isnt racially motivated? if im wrong im wrong, i just want someone to show me the other side of this

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

Sam Losco

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Can't wait until they start chanting "NASCAR" at Kevin Love.
    but has it happened yet? because if it hasnt yet whats the point of "what if"?

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

packerd_00

but has it happened yet? because if it hasnt yet whats the point of "what if"?
    Isn't like white guys don't get made fun of for playing in the NBA is it,but that's ok.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    If heckling is meant to cross the lines of racial insensitivity, maybe it should never have existed in the first place.

We all know what the hecklers meant by chanting "basketbal", they're implying that hockey is a sport for white men and the black man should play the sport the other blacks play.
    This isn't heckling, this is racism on display that in this day and age should not be tolerated. There is no fake outrage or pc commies, just a group of 4 white hecklers that crossed the line from fan to racist fan
    Ummm....hockey is a sport for white men.

Let’s get real people

If this boy grew up playing hockey he ain’t hood anyways. Real brothers ain’t got no time for his Uncle Tom ass.

What he offended about?
    Last edited by opie1988; 02-18-18 at 11:53 AM.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Eddy Munny

wheres the creativity in "basketball" as a way of heckling if it isnt racially motivated? if im wrong im wrong, i just want someone to show me the other side of this
    Who really cares about the level of creativity in the word? The point is throwing them out for using it is far more extreme than the "offense" itself. Yes the hecklers were alluding to basketball being the stereotypical black man's sport, and not so much hockey. Big fukkin deal. That's not malice or hate speech.

Do you realize there's a movie called "White Men Can't Jump?" OMG, OMG... call the PC police force, we've got a situation here. Racial insensitivity... HELP, HELP, OUTRAGE!

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Ummm....hockey is a sport for white men.

Let’s get real people

If this boy grew up playing hockey he ain’t hood anyways. Real brothers ain’t got no time for his Uncle Tom ass.

What he offended about?
    You got that right,guys friggin Canadian,he didnt grow up in no ghetto.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 02-18-18 at 12:01 PM.

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post

This isn't heckling, this is racism on display that in this day and age should not be tolerated.

There is no fake outrage or pc commies, just a group of 4 white hecklers that crossed the line from fan to racist fan

Oh boo-hoo fukking hoo. You've just taken the bait and ran with it is all.

There's far more offensive remarks posted here at SBR on a daily basis. If cleaning up racially divisive shenanigans is your game, then maybe you should start in your own backyard by sounding the bell every time you read such posts right here on this forum, rather than cry wolf because a group of hockey fans said "basketball."

Sam Losco

Yes the hecklers were alluding to basketball being the stereotypical black man's sport, and not so much hockey.
    well atleast your finally coming around and seeing what they did wrong

Sam Losco

Oh boo-hoo fukking hoo. You've just taken the bait and ran with it is all.

There's far more offensive remarks posted here at SBR on a daily basis. If cleaning up racially divisive shenanigans is your game, then maybe you should start in your own backyard by sounding the bell every time you read such posts right here on this forum, rather than cry wolf because a group of hockey fans said "basketball."
    theres a big difference between stuff posted anonymously on a message board and what a heckler says at a sporting event

Eddy Munny

well atleast your finally coming around and seeing what they did wrong
    Are you expecting to be hoisted on the shoulders of a grateful group of black men, and paraded around town like a champion at the next million man march or something? Yeah, keep fighting the good fight.

Fact of the matter is, if they hadn't gotten thrown out of the game and the coach hadn't made any remarks, you wouldn't bat an eyelash at a some drunks who hollered "basketball" at a hockey game. But someone with a press pass decides it's a story and you jump on board like a well trained puppy.

Eddy Munny

theres a big difference between stuff posted anonymously on a message board and what a heckler says at a sporting event
    And what is that difference exactly? Just so I know the rules.

packerd_00

Pelly grow up abit, tattling over some comments.

Sam Odom

the African-Canadian showed himself to be fairly weak
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: packerd_00

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

I don't really get it. That's the worst attempt at racism ever.

If a guy was telling Nascar or golf at a white player, I would just think he's handicapped

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

"Hockey, Hockey, Hockey"

Sam Odom

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post

"Hockey, Hockey, Hockey"

** Reported **

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    ** Reported **
    Ditto.

I haven't been this outraged since I saw a black man in the dining room at Popeye's... totally reinforcing a stereotype and setting his people back eons.

I punched him in the face for that, all because I care dammit.

Nobel Peace Prize committee, I hope you're reading this!!!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3212

feel like the colored guy started it

squirting water at the player

as if to say

"hey all white people shower and bathe alot more, y'all are so clean"

rude and ignorant
    https://twitter.com/jacsmith68/statu...52722676826112

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8763

chanting basketball basketball basketball is not even close to being close to being a racist comment.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21329

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    chanting basketball basketball basketball is not even close to being close to being a racist comment.
    So you are contending that the fans didn't choose to chant that word because of the player's race? Why do you suppose they selected that word? If there is a non-racial explanation, I'd love to hear it.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

love it

We need more fans like this guy

12 Last