d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21413

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    On the subject,
    Never seen stock market move up like this in my lifetime.
    What time period are you talking about -- this year or the last 9 years? Went up more in 2013. But if you're talking about bull market, it rivals '91-'00.

Oh, and whatever brooks says, do the opposite.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

^lol another idiot who can't read a stock chart. Notice the trends.

funny fact about d2bets; doesn't know how to usa a % sign but talks about stocks.

Also, 3 times d2bets mentioned nvidia and 3 times it dropped like a rock lol
    Last edited by brooks85; 11-30-17 at 07:56 PM.

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Quote Originally Posted by grease lightnin View Post
    After tax contribution, grows tax free, comes out tax free.

With a Roth, you pay tax on the seed, with traditional pretax, you pay tax on the harvest.

Dollar for dollar, same given rate of return, there is a high likelihood that you will have far more in your pocket over the long term in Roth vs traditional pretax.

As far as a “good rate”, a Roth is a type of account. Think if it as a garage that shelters your investment vehicle from taxes. You can park just about any type of vehicle in that garage that you want. Any mutual fund, etf, stock, etc.
    Bumping to next page for mobile ^^^

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

As for retirement, diversification is good. We have IRA/401k, Roths, and taxable investment account, among other assets. You don't necessary need to decide between traditional and Roth. Start early and contribute to both when you can.

brooks85

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    As for retirement, diversification is good. We have IRA/401k, Roths, andtaxable investment account, among other assets. You don't necessary need to decide between traditional and Roth. Start early and contribute to both when you can.
    again, notice the trend of the bag holders who think their IRA is safe lol

you can either run with the sheep or sit back and watch them like me

grease lightnin
    &

As for retirement, diversification is good. We have IRA/401k, Roths, and taxable investment account, among other assets. You don't necessary need to decide between traditional and Roth. Start early and contribute to both when you can.
    99% of people who don’t have access to an employer sponsored plan with a match should start with a Roth for long term savings and only go elsewhere once they are contributing the max ($5500/yr or $6500 if you’re over 50 yrs old).

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

After tax contribution, grows tax free, comes out tax free.

With a Roth, you pay tax on the seed, with traditional pretax, you pay tax on the harvest.

Dollar for dollar, same given rate of return, there is a high likelihood that you will have far more in your pocket over the long term in Roth vs traditional pretax.

As far as a “good rate”, a Roth is a type of account. Think if it as a garage that shelters your investment vehicle from taxes. You can park just about any type of vehicle in that garage that you want. Any mutual fund, etf, stock, etc.
    I generally disagree on the Roth vs. Traditional. Not that Roth is bad. There are so many different factors. But if you are 28% marginal now, you should be contributing max to IRA/401k.

You can also potentially backdoor a Roth if you're over the income limits.

But it really depends where you are in life. If you're 25 and in a low tax bracket and how a few thousand then sure, go Roth. But if you're a bit older and in a higher bracket, reduce that taxable income. That $18,000 chunked into the 401k may only be $12,000 in your pocket between fed and state taxes. Compound that year after year and it's pretty significant. It's impossible to know but especially if you retire before SS, you may be able to take out slowly and be in a low bracket withdrawing.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

99% of people who don’t have access to an employer sponsored plan with a match should start with a Roth for long term savings and only go elsewhere once they are contributing the max ($5500/yr or $6500 if you’re over 50 yrs old).
    Depends on your marginal tax bracket in a given year, right?

Unfortunately I haven't been able to contribute to Roth for quite awhile due to income limits and backdoor hasn't been an option given my mix. But I'm glad I did the Roths back when I did.

grease lightnin
    &

I generally disagree on the Roth vs. Traditional. Not that Roth is bad. There are so many different factors. But if you are 28% marginal now, you should be contributing max to IRA/401k.

You can also potentially backdoor a Roth if you're over the income limits.

But it really depends where you are in life. If you're 25 and in a low tax bracket and how a few thousand then sure, go Roth. But if you're a bit older and in a higher bracket, reduce that taxable income. That $18,000 chunked into the 401k may only be $12,000 in your pocket between fed and state taxes. Compound that year after year and it's pretty significant. It's impossible to know but especially if you retire before SS, you may be able to take out slowly and be in a low bracket withdrawing.
    If you are in 28% marginal you don’t qualify for a Roth anyway.

You can only backdoor a Roth with a NONDEDUCTIBLE ira contribution.

All due respect, but I don’t care if you disagree because you are just plain wrong.

I won’t challenge you with regard to the law, don’t challenge me here.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Global index universal life insurance through Transamerica. Anybody heard about that?

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

If you are in 28% marginal you don’t qualify for a Roth anyway.

You can only backdoor a Roth with a NONDEDUCTIBLE ira contribution.

All due respect, but I don’t care if you disagree because you are just plain wrong.

I won’t challenge you with regard to the law, don’t challenge me here.
    Haha OK. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it depends on a lot of different factors. Not so clear cut. But no doubt, there are plenty of people who should do Roth who don't. I didn't do it in my very first working years when I should have.

But don't you love the idea of having a good mix of traditional, Roth and taxable (and other assets) heading toward retirement? That way you can draw the traditional out based on tax rates rather just on need.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JMobile View Post
    Global index universal life insurance through Transamerica. Anybody heard about that?
    For 99% of people, mixed life insurance products are a terrible idea. Grease?

Get the term insurance you need to cover family for untimely death, and invest the rest.

grease lightnin
    &

Only buy life insurance if you need the life insurance. Beware of insurance sales people selling life insurance as an investment vehicle. There are simply better ways to invest if long term growth is your goal.

I am a fan of term life unless you need life insurance to offset estate tax liability.

Shute
    Shute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10538

Is your employer making you pick between the 40 different funds they sponsor?
    Probably
    It really makes no difference.
    Stick 1/3 in big cap growth, 1/3 small cap growth and 1/3 in mid cap value
    Whatever
    Blah blah blah
    Several key concepts
    Save as much as you can and always max out your company’s contribution
    Don’t take it out EVER
    Don’t take it out EVER

time is your friend
    Let it ride

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Only buy life insurance if you need the life insurance. Beware of insurance sales people selling life insurance as an investment vehicle. There are simply better ways to invest if long term growth is tyour goal.
    My friend got the life insurance I mentioned. I get it through my employer.

Shute
    Shute's Avatar SBR PRO

Life insurance probably needs if you have family and are bottom scale of earnings.
    It’s insurance
    Not investment

grease lightnin
    &

Haha OK. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it depends on a lot of different factors. Not so clear cut. But no doubt, there are plenty of people who should do Roth who don't. I didn't do it in my very first working years when I should have.

But don't you love the idea of having a good mix of traditional, Roth and taxable (and other assets) heading toward retirement? That way you can draw the traditional out based on tax rates rather just on need.
    Yeah the fact of the matter is, if you are making enough money to benefit from tax deductions on contributions, you should be saving more than what you can put in a Roth anyhow.

But yes, pre tax for a break now, and tax deferred growth, Roth for tax free, and taxable for flexibility, and better tax treatment for estate planning as long as they don’t eliminate stepped up basis.

brooks85

lol watching grease and d2 jerk each other off on their bad investment advice is great. And that is exactly what makes markets, someone has to be the bagholder and they have stepped up to the plate.

grease lightnin
    &

My friend got the life insurance I mentioned. I get it through my employer.

Really? Your employer is offering universal life insurance? That is odd.

My guess is you work for a small business that’s owner got sold a bill of goods by a life insurance salesman. (Sorry Chico lol)

grease lightnin
    &

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    lol watching grease and d2 jerk each other off on their bad investment advice is great. And that is exactly what makes markets, someone has to be the bagholder and they have stepped up to the plate.
    What “bad advice” has been given?

Oh you won’t be specific like always?

Then STFU

Shute
    Shute's Avatar SBR PRO

I think funnyb would be a great poster to give advice here.
    One of the few employed educated posters whose advice I’d take.
    Except on European soccer

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

Life insurance--good.
    Life insurance investment products--bad.

grease lightnin
    &

Harry knows what’s up. Lol

brooks85

What “bad advice” has been given?

Oh you won’t be specific like always?

Then STFU
    lol here you are again saying something isn't true. I've already shut you up on the EXACT bad advice you have given and keep giving.

Do you teach your kids to lie, get caught then lie again right after? You do it all the time.

I shut you up in this very thread on GE for example and you think you're not a joke? Yeah good luck counting your IRA you numbskull

grease lightnin
    &

lol here you are again saying something isn't true. I've already shut you up on the EXACT bad advice you have given and keep giving.

Do you teach your kids to lie, get caught then lie again right after? You do it all the time.

Talk about trends.

Be specific or STFU

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Bitcoin

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

I'm waiting for old man Sam to chime in. I know he has a portfolio.

Shute
    Shute's Avatar SBR PRO

Once one accumulated enough then life insurance is trivial
    Life is the ultimate gamble
    Insurance
    Investment
    Savings
    Credit
    Cars
    Houses
    Boats
    Ultimate retirement plan.....
    Just find a person you can share your life with.
    Then enjoy

brooks85

Talk about trends.

Be specific or STFU
    learn to read and grab some post-it notes from chico

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

SEP?
    Problem is there are sooo many regulations and laws. I believe I have funded every type of plan over the years. It’s more complicated than the tax laws.
    sep-swld employed pension. it is for people that are self employed . you can take 25% of your net income I think it is . When i was self employed you could put 42,000 in it . Not sure what it is.
    Grease , I don't trust the govt one bit. When they can tell you that you can't collect rain water on your property. They can do what they want. They can declare an emergency and steal your company. This was passed under obama. Don't believe me google it.

brooks85

if you're under 40 you better not count on your IRA money being there. That's a suckers game.

Get your money out(or stop putting any more in), get it to work in a regular account and cash out by 2040-2050 when things start getting very, very bad.

buy land and guns
    notice I made this post and two established idiots, grease and d2bets, have chimed in do invest in a roth. And idiot is not an insult, accurate use of the word here. D2bets can't even figure out what 50% means as post history proves and grease's solution for debt is "hope." And he took the dumbest bet in history on brexit, a bet he had 0% chance to win... lol and he is talking investment advice. The comedy lol

the trend there is obvious.

brooks85

by 2050 country is going to be 40% Hispanic, unfunded liabilities will be at insane levels and grease is counting on the government to pay him...

you better have your money spent long before then.

Shute
    Shute's Avatar SBR PRO

Professional

Guys don’t get it.
    I am
    Not a tout
    But I go pro with retirement that is complicated.
    That is no brainer
    You want to work when your 60?

brooks85

Professional

Guys don’t get it.
    I am
    Not a tout
    But I go pro with retirement that is complicated.
    That is no brainer
    You want to work when your 60?
    the majority of people 30 and under will not have a job to even work if they wanted to at 60. You have to see the big picture and plan for it accordingly. It's not pretty for the government or the people.

grease lightnin
    &

notice I made this post and two established idiots, grease and d2bets, have chimed in do invest in a roth. And idiot is not an insult, accurate use of the word here. D2bets can't even figure out what 50% means as post history proves and grease's solution for debt is "hope." And he took the dumbest bet in history on brexit, a bet he had 0% chance to win... lol and he is talking investment advice. The comedy lol

the trend there is obvious.
    I just wanted you to say it again so everyone could see how fukking stupid you are.

Hey guys, brooks says saving for retirement in tax advantaged accounts is a suckers game.

If any of you believe this, JJ is right. Seek advice elsewhere.

First 123456 Last