turbobets
    turbobets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13715

Bitcoin transactions slow today?

I sent and requested bitcoin earlier this morning from blockchain still pending, anybody else?

evo34
    evo34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4198

I have one pending for 36+ hours... When, if ever, are things supposed to become fast again?

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

Quote Originally Posted by evo34 View Post
    I have one pending for 36+ hours... When, if ever, are things supposed to become fast again?
    I thought after 24th August.

Obviously I was wrong. Speed has been slower and fees higher since then

There appears to be a change in the way fees are handled. With a Fee Per Weight Unit being added.

And blocks are taking 45 mins to process instead of the old 10 mins for some reason.

https://bitcoinfees.21.co/

Hopefully one of the bitcoin gurus around here can help us out with an explanation. I cant see anything about the fee per weight unit thing from a quick google search.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Still slow

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

Bookmaker to bread wallet to coinbase to bank account 10 hours today.

turbobets
    turbobets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13715

ok thanks for reply

Weazxx
    Weazxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

bitcoin upgrade - segregated witness (SegWit) was activated yesterday

bonz
    bonz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Working now. 20 minutes.

Optional

I just did a send 3 mins ago. 226 bytes with 0.00105 fee (about $4.50)

Optional

got 1 confirmation and estimates 11 mins until confirmed

evo34
    evo34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4198

There's no way too boost your fee after the fact to get something to go through, right? I feel like time should become a factor in priority after a certain period of waiting, bc if the fees spike right after you send, you can be waiting infinitely.

Optional

I couldn't wait around but deposit has hit the book sometime before now.

I don't think you can change it once the tx has been picked up Evo.

jjgold

My last three of average six hours per transaction

themike78
    themike78's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10636

This crap still has a long way to go if they want to be a useful way to buy things. They still can't even come close to the debit card companies with instant transactions. The money transfer services are still faster also. And the fees keep rising pretty soon it will be more expensive than the money transfer companies. Garbage product. Only good for getting money in and out of books without all the i.d. b.s

craigpb
    craigpb's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8006

A number of different things are going on. Though Segwit is now implemented, allowing room for more transactions at once and eventually lower fees due to less buildup of transactions, wallets used to send bitcoin are mostly not yet Segwit capable (the sending address will have a 3 at the start instead of a 1).

Miners have been mining bitcoin and BCH lately because BCH has been more profitable at times. Fewer miners, the longer the wait for bitcoin transactions. Right now they are mining BCH; check back tomorrow and it should be much better.

Also because some companies want even bigger blocks, they are spamming low fee transactions to make it look like you need to make the fee bigger and to make their argument look good. Happens at times; the quickest time to get confirmations usually is anytime after midnight until early morning in US.

The best thing you can do is check fees page before sending and pick the lowest fee range that is under 1000. Don't worry about the time estimate; you are just looking for a range that has as few transactions as possible. It will get included. I do that every transaction and the longest I've had to wait using Blockchain is 1 hour. Never just go with their suggestion.
    If you need it confirmed right away, then your only choice is to go with a fee range that is under 1000 transactions and surrounded on both sides with few transactions.

Still lots of different opinions and battles being waged, so don't expect great progress quite yet. Best thing you can do is plan ahead or check the fees page many times a day so you can time your transaction better.
    Points Awarded:

TheMoneyShot gave craigpb 110 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TheMoneyShot

TheDempster
    TheDempster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1518

Quote Originally Posted by craigpb View Post
    A number of different things are going on. Though Segwit is now implemented, allowing room for more transactions at once and eventually lower fees due to less buildup of transactions, wallets used to send bitcoin are mostly not yet Segwit capable (the sending address will have a 3 at the start instead of a 1).

Miners have been mining bitcoin and BCH lately because BCH has been more profitable at times. Fewer miners, the longer the wait for bitcoin transactions. Right now they are mining BCH; check back tomorrow and it should be much better.

Also because some companies want even bigger blocks, they are spamming low fee transactions to make it look like you need to make the fee bigger and to make their argument look good. Happens at times; the quickest time to get confirmations usually is anytime after midnight until early morning in US.

The best thing you can do is check fees page before sending and pick the lowest fee range that is under 1000. Don't worry about the time estimate; you are just looking for a range that has as few transactions as possible. It will get included. I do that every transaction and the longest I've had to wait using Blockchain is 1 hour. Never just go with their suggestion.
    If you need it confirmed right away, then your only choice is to go with a fee range that is under 1000 transactions and surrounded on both sides with few transactions.

Still lots of different opinions and battles being waged, so don't expect great progress quite yet. Best thing you can do is plan ahead or check the fees page many times a day so you can time your transaction better.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11874

Fees for transfers are jacked up now!!!!..

The fees were annoying before, looks like they doubled now.. Out on bitcoin transfers if I can avoid them, Coinbase and Block chain are highway robbery now with their fees for each transfer made...

That just killed bitcoin for this guy..

jjgold

Everything's haywire going to block chain is still very fast from coinbase

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post

Fees for transfers are jacked up now!!!!..

The fees were annoying before, looks like they doubled now.. Out on bitcoin transfers if I can avoid them, Coinbase and Block chain are highway robbery now with their fees for each transfer made...

That just killed bitcoin for this guy..

Bitpay wallet is one of the worse (fees)... Do NOT use them to send btc to anywhere, only use for loading Bitpay's DC if that

Scooter
    Scooter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2064

It should get better soon.

Post #15 explains a lot of it.

BTC is the internet c. 1994.
    Things are being worked out, fees will not stay this high.
    It's going through growing pains, as well as competing interests fighting which is causing the slowdown/higher fees for now.

If anyone wants to know more specifics than that: reddit.com/r/bitcoin
    Last edited by Scooter; 08-26-17 at 12:14 PM.

Scooter

Somebody at reddit.com/r/bitcoin started a thread with this:

"In the early nineties my parents bought and hooked up a dial-up modem. It cost about 20 cents per minute to be online and a single page took several minutes to load. This is where Bitcoin is right now."

Just be aware that extremely competent people are working hard to improve it while fighting off the attacks of rival interests.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post

Just be aware that extremely competent people are working hard to improve it while fighting off the attacks of rival interests.

dog eat fukking dog

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11874

Gamblers wanting to make deposits into books either get their creddit carrd numbers compromised or get raped by bitcoin transfer fees now.. The industry needs to shore things up.. I've never seen it this bad when trying to fund accounts..

themike78

[QUOTE=Scooter;27169211]Somebody at reddit.com/r/bitcoin started a thread with this:

"In the early nineties my parents bought and hooked up a dial-up modem. It cost about 20 cents per minute to be online and a single page took several minutes to load. This is where Bitcoin is right now."

Just be aware that extremely competent people are working hard to improve it while fighting off the attacks of rival interests.[/QUO
    I disagree. These people are in this to make money. People are still using it even with the increased fees. So why not just continue raising the fees. People will still use it. In one year from now the fees will probably be $10 per transaction.

themike78

The sad thing is money transfer to a book is quicker than Bitcoin right now and the fees are about the same.

Scooter

[QUOTE=themike78;27169248]
    Somebody at reddit.com/r/bitcoin started a thread with this:

Just be aware that extremely competent people are working hard to improve it while fighting off the attacks of rival interests.[/QUO
    I disagree. These people are in this to make money. People are still using it even with the increased fees. So why not just continue raising the fees. People will still use it. In one year from now the fees will probably be $10 per transaction.
    About a month ago the mempool (transactions waiting to be included in the blockchain) emptied and it was possible to make very fast transactions and pay about 25 cents to 50 cents USD.

Post #15 explains what is happening currently.

Optional

It should get better soon.

Post #15 explains a lot of it.

BTC is the internet c. 1994.
    Things are being worked out, fees will not stay this high.
    It's going through growing pains, as well as competing interests fighting which is causing the slowdown/higher fees for now.

If anyone wants to know more specifics than that: reddit.com/r/bitcoin

That's not the reason at all.

It's greedy interests as well as miners who have been manipulating and sabotaging things in a never ending ego fight.

You might be right about "fees will come down" but it may not be for the reason you think... it will more likely be the network dieing as miners abandon it after destroying it.

Leave the fees this high and delays even worse and all practical use of BTC will be lost... well transferred over to something better run that took the opporunity to undermine and put the stake in bitcoins heart.

The whole project is eating itself.

Optional

Someone smart in the offshore industry needs to get involved with a project to create a gambling alt coin without the parasitic investor model things like wagerr have.

Just a basic crypto that isnt listed all over the web for these excitable kids to "invest" in that is designed just for inexpensive fast transfers.

Thats all users want... "investors" take note.

themike78

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Someone smart in the offshore industry needs to get involved with a project to create a gambling alt coin without the parasitic investor model things like wagerr have.

Just a basic crypto that isnt listed all over the web for these excitable kids to "invest" in that is designed just for inexpensive fast transfers.

Thats all users want... "investors" take note.
    Exactly.

craigpb
    craigpb's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8006

Fees are down to as low as 91 per byte if you need it fast. I'm sure it will continue to fluctuate. All about the timing.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16012

This happened to me as well. I made a bitcoin deposit on 5Dimes on Thursday and it was pending until Saturday when it finally was confirmed. Sometimes you just got to wait it out but I didn't have much of a wait time when reloading on Bookmaker and Bovada.

jjgold

wait it out men

It will be ok

Weazxx
    Weazxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

if you stop complaining about fees, speed, play the long game, buy and hold, you’ll be setting yourself up for a really good profit and potential life changer.

themike78

Quote Originally Posted by Weazxx View Post
    if you stop complaining about fees, speed, play the long game, buy and hold, you’ll be setting yourself up for a really good profit and potential life changer.
    Not in it for that. I just want to move money in and out of books with Bitcoin. Other than that I have no use for it. Definitely not investing in something that could be worthless in a few years. Nobody knows for sure if it will be worth anything. Yeah some jerkoff might say it's going to be worth a million dollars but how the fuk does he know?

Scooter

Fees are low and transactions going thru quickly, and have been so for several days.

There are multiple posts stating such at reddit.com/r/bitcoin

One major reason one may still find high fees is that wallets are calculating much higher fees than necessary:

"You will need a wallet where you can set your own fees. Electrum, Armory, Trezor etc.
    Here's one example for 11c tx fees, mined in 6 minutes
    Here's another example for 10c tx fees, mined in 2 minutes

Obviously neither are mine.
    Wallet algorithms keep entering high fees, because wallet algorithms keep entering high fees. Ad nauseum. They auto enter high fees to make sure your transaction is at or near the top. They keep auto creating higher and higher fees. This is the dumb problem. The wallets are stuck in a type of infinite, dumb loop. << read this again.
    Bitcoin is not broken. I've been sending heaps of 10c transactions the past week.
    Now you know : )"

[Click on links above, look at "Inputs and Outputs/FEES" on the right side for proof of 10 cent fee going thru]

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6wuvrt/people_are_using_bitcoin_to_literally_su rvive_in/dmbhiw8/?st=j6zjzl1c&sh=b37395a2

Last edited by Scooter; 08-30-17 at 05:09 PM.

12 Last