BaseballChaser
    BaseballChaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pirates 1 game anything can happen but who gives a penetrate about them. They checked out awhile ago.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11893

How big a factor is IP wrt to the cy young? 185 IP does not seem like a workhorse to me.

habitualwinning
    habitualwinning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6311

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyburrito View Post
    How big a factor is IP wrt to the cy young? 185 IP does not seem like a workhorse to me.
    I can't speak for everyone but I've listened to segments before on sports talk where they interviewed a guy who gets to vote on this and they asked how do you decide between 2 or maybe even 3 guys with really similar numbers. Basically what I took away from it was Wins and ERA are paramount and if it's really close they then go to things like K's and WHIP and if it's still close then totality of work throughout the season. So based on all that I would say IP is less important to them than ERA, Wins, K's and WHIP.

This really isn't even close. Lester should get it. Superior Win total and far superior winning %. Higher K total, more IP. Hendricks has the better ERA and slightly better WHIP but that's not enough to makeup for everything else that he lacks in significantly. His team F'd him straight up. If he had the same number of Wins right now as Lester, Hendricks would win. They hung him out to dry with that stellar 1.99 ERA meanwhile 2.28 Lester got the run support for 20 wins. The only winner here is the Cubs since they have 2 aces, arguably 3 if you trust Arrieta. Good problem to have for them.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21617

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyburrito View Post
    Nobody on the Cubs has 200 IP now. It's by design. They have had an eye on the playoffs basically from the start, it's never been in doubt, and saving innings for the starters has always been part of that plan.
    Points Awarded:

habitualwinning gave d2bets 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

habitualwinning

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Nobody on the Cubs has 200 IP now. It's by design. They have had an eye on the playoffs basically from the start, it's never been in doubt, and saving innings for the starters has always been part of that plan.
    Joe Maddon is the opposite of Dusty Baker. Baker rode the horses until their arms fell off, literally. Ironically both have managed the Cubs during successful seasons. Very different approaches.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by habitualwinning View Post
    Joe Maddon is the opposite of Dusty Baker. Baker rode the horses until their arms fell off, literally. Ironically both have managed the Cubs during successful seasons. Very different approaches.
    Yeah, well, Maddon rode Arrieta hard last season. Learned his lesson. And having such a dominant team affords some extra luxury.

habitualwinning

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Yeah, well, Maddon rode Arrieta hard last season. Learned his lesson. And having such a dominant team affords some extra luxury.
    Baker is a horrible manager. He's already managed to ruin Strasburg and Gonzalez over in Washington added to the long list of other pitchers he ruined in SF, CIN and CHC. Scherzer is just a freak but he'll go down too with something in the near future. They've been riding him hard. He'll have nothing left for playoffs. The only thing I question about Maddon is his actual lineup choices. What's his official explanation for batting guys like Zobrist, Soler and Contreras 4th? That doesn't make much sense to me. Obviously it's worked but I think it has less to do with Maddon's choices and more to do with just pure talent in a deep lineup. All of those guys can rake but in my opinion, Rizzo should be batting cleanup. Dude would have 150 RBI this year and likely the MVP award.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11893

Arrieta pooped himself tonight.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

what a season

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

The Professor is one cool customer. Repeats his delivery pitch after pitch, doesn't get rattled and is the the smartest pitcher in the game in setting up hitters.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Another example of why Chi_Archies books are among the sharpest around

First 12