Quote Originally Posted by mncosoldier View Post
    No Nove -4.5 is like plus 200

What the hell kind of hedge was that?

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by Slipknot26 View Post
    If people had the money , easy to bet 7500 the other side , he could have made around 7k regardless.
    Not everyone has those kinds of funds to hedge.
    I'm glad he won money , making money is what matters .
    Damn right. It's easy to spend somebody else's money

jmunzz1116
    jmunzz1116's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 680

Tough, Sorry bro! I know I could use that kind of money.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    then why even ask a stupid question like should i hedge or let it ride and do some bullshit bets like this?

1000 on NOVA ML
    500 NOVA -4.5 +odds
    if he has $1500 to bet, bet the whole thing on nova ml.

i was partially kidding when i said, hedge $30,000 on nova but if you're gonna hedge, do it right.

from a guaranteed $7400 profit to winning what? ~$670? c'mon man. that's a bad move no matter how you put it.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Mac4Lyfe

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11139

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    I hate to sound smug but anyone that can't get $8k in a few days, really need to rethink what they're doing.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    then why even ask a stupid question like should i hedge or let it ride and do some bullshit bets like this?

if he has $1500 to bet, bet the whole thing on nova ml.

i was partially kidding when i said, hedge $30,000 on nova but if you're gonna hedge, do it right.

from a guaranteed $7400 profit to winning what? ~$670? c'mon man. that's a bad move no matter how you put it.

It's an irresponsible move as well. I don't care how much you believe a team is going to win. Why take the chance? This is why many SBR folks need to go to gamblers anonymous.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Ugh tough loss but agree with Mac here. I had couple hundo on Nova +2.5 and fity on ml but Damn!!!! No need to pour salt in wounds but tough loss brutha hope you learned.

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

Too bad people does not understand the concept of hedging. Hedging is a tool to decrease risk and cash out of a position, not a way to gamble more. Also, as any other bet, it should aim to maximize bankroll growth. Hedging or not, and the hedging amount is heavily dependent on bankroll size. If your bankroll is big enough you should not hedge, unless the hedge bet is +EV on itself.

Also, I do not understand why many players think on spread first when hedging. The perfect hedge to get out of this position is a moneyline. Risking more to have a longshot for a middle is not worth it. It is a bit complicated to compute bankroll growth with middle chances, but almost always you get better results with the moneyline hedge.

So, in short. If your bankroll is big enough, you should hedge in full (and then slightly more) only if you consider Villanova ML as +EV. If you consider Nova ML as -EV, you should hedge less, or even no hedge. OTOH, if your bankroll is very small, you should hedge in full with Villanova ML always.

I miss SBRforum golden era, when Ganchrow would post the equations to demonstrate the issue, and give you a formula or even a spreadsheet to hedge optimally.
    Points Awarded:

apps54 gave Cookie Monster 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

mikmik
    mikmik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15907

Lol, 7400 to winning 1000 Yea that made a lot of sense. Another sbr a**hole. What a wasted opportunity to win a nice chunk of change.

shaunovery
    shaunovery's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

Should of just had 5k on nova ml and take 8k

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Also, I do not understand why many players think on spread first when hedging. The perfect hedge to get out of this position is a moneyline. Risking more to have a longshot for a middle is not worth it. It is a bit complicated to compute bankroll growth with middle chances, but almost always you get better results with the moneyline hedge.

I miss SBRforum golden era, when Ganchrow would post the equations to demonstrate the issue, and give you a formula or even a spreadsheet to hedge optimally.
    Exactly... This was a fukking no brainer but the op either got too greedy or was severely underfunded to cover his position.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

How someone can't come up with 7k is beyond me......christ just take cash advances on your credit card then pay them back ASAP.....

guy had what, 1200 post in 7 years? Just came on hear thinking Carolina was a slam dunk & gloating about the 14K he thought was already in the bag.....

mncosoldier
    mncosoldier's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 383

Gents thanks for all the input.... Trust me I got some live Nova + money when they where down 7. It's all good I didn't make 14,800 but I'm walking away happy. Thanks for the support or lack of support.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Guinser

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    How someone can't come up with 7k is beyond me......christ just take cash advances on your credit card then pay them back ASAP.....

guy had what, 1200 post in 7 years? Just came on hear thinking Carolina was a slam dunk & gloating about the 14K he thought was already in the bag.....
    This is SBR...

$8 yes... 8k lol

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

Gents thanks for all the input.... Trust me I got some live Nova + money when they where down 7. It's all good I didn't make 14,800 but I'm walking away happy. Thanks for the support or lack of support.
    they were down 7 once with 15 seconds left in the half........did you take nova - 1/2 for the 2nd half?
    see you in 2 years soldier

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    they were down 7 once with 15 seconds left in the half........did you take nova - 1/2 for the 2nd half?
    see you in 2 years soldier
    Inquiring minds would love to know how to get a live bet with 15 seconds to go in the half...

Mac4Lyfe

I didn't see one person not wish you good luck nor anyone who wasn't happy for you. Everyone was genuinely rooting for you.

But you asked for advice then basically ignored everything anyone said. It's your money, so your decisions, no problem there. Yet, this thread should be a reminder to many that theres no sure thing and you should ALWAYS hedge.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Inquiring minds would love to know how to get a live bet with 15 seconds to go in the half...
    Thats because its...

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

can't fix stupid.

First 1234