CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    I never said it was NBA. Are you insinuating his China stats should be taken into consideration?
    Nope. But what he did in the NBA and globally merits his selection.

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    This is why HOF's are crap and Im a Yao fan, when healthy sometimes he was really good and despite pain would try his butt off, but he didnt play long enough and didnt have the numbers. Even if he played 16 years instead of 8 he wouldnt have been good enough forget growing the game in Asia Im sure Jeremy Lin did too. Bill Walton shouldnt be in either, sorry.
    Bill Walton shouldn`t be in the Basketball HOF. This is your true opinion JT??

He would have been in if he never played a minute in the NBA.
    21-22 in a championship game.
    His collegiate record is something like 100-1.

Go watch a tape from the one season he was "fairly" healthy with the Blazers. Phenomenal.
    Then go to the 1986 Celtics. Pat Riley described him as "maniacal" .

Awards and Honors
    1971-72AP Player of the Year
    1971-72Consensus All-America
    (1st Tm)
    1971-72Helms Foundation Player of the Year
    1971-72Naismith Award
    1971-72NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player
    1971-72Rupp Trophy
    1971-72Sporting News Player of the Year
    1971-72UPI Player of the Year
    1971-72USBWA Player of the Year
    1972-73AP Player of the Year
    1972-73Consensus All-America
    (1st Tm)
    1972-73Helms Foundation Player of the Year
    1972-73Naismith Award
    1972-73NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player
    1972-73Rupp Trophy
    1972-73Sporting News Player of the Year
    1972-73UPI Player of the Year
    1972-73USBWA Player of the Year
    1973-74Consensus All-America
    (1st Tm)
    1973-74Naismith Award
    1973-74Rupp Trophy
    1973-74Sporting News Player of the Year
    1973-74UPI Player of the Year
    1973-74USBWA Player of the Year

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Nope. But what he did in the NBA and globally merits his selection.
    Right. I didn't know whether that was a consideration though. At least to be elected as a "player."

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

smoke a bowl
    smoke a bowl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14472

Obviously he didn't get put in for production however he is a clear hall of famer for all the other reasons. Main one being, when you say Yao Ming, everyone knows who you are talking about.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by smoke a bowl View Post
    Obviously he didn't get put in for production however he is a clear hall of famer for all the other reasons. Main one being, when you say Yao Ming, everyone knows who you are talking about.
    I get it, but its unfair to guys who didnt have the luxury of being asian and who has to rely on numbers to get in. Many guys have a heck of a career and come up just short because of numbers or how a few reporters(voters) feel about them.

smoke a bowl

I get it, but its unfair to guys who didnt have the luxury of being asian and who has to rely on numbers to get in. Many guys have a heck of a career and come up just short because of numbers or how a few reporters(voters) feel about them.
    I gave up on fair a long time ago. Life isn't fair is a harsh reality but that is just how it is. I think I would vote Yao in as well. Doesn't make me right but I think I would.

smoke a bowl

And as far as getting in based entirely on performance, he probably is a nuthair short but the guy did make 8 all star teams and was 1st team all NBA 5 times. You don't see many with that resume get left out.

Jeff_Black
    Jeff_Black's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5068

I always thought I was the only one who felt like this and felt bad for dissing on the guy but he is absolutely not a HOFer. This is the best of the best, not the best of the very good.
    No doubt James Harden will be on track to be in the Hall Of Fame now or Carmelo Anthony!

jtoler

And as far as getting in based entirely on performance, he probably is a nuthair short but the guy did make 8 all star teams and was 1st team all NBA 5 times. You don't see many with that resume get left out.
    We know all star teams are a popularity contest.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

There are other foreigners in that HOF that never set foot on US soil or played in the NBA. This HOF is just a kymbaya type of hall where all the races must be represented regardless of skill level.

smoke a bowl

We know all star teams are a popularity contest.
    Agree but so is the hall of fame to an extent.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

He made 0 first team all NBA's not that it matters there is no way he could ever beat out Shaq, and you dont have to to be an all time great.

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

No way...

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Lets put it this way.

The first American who will ever beat a Chinese ping pong champion will be inducted in the Ping Pong Hall Of Fame.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3507

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    Added to the fact it attracts millions of Chinese tourists it is the whole point. No upside for NBA not to put him in and most players who went against him would agree he belongs anyway.
    No that is not a valid reason to be in a NBA Hall Of Fame,obviously isn't based on your production on the court,because he didn't do enough. If Iverson or Shaq were not choosen this year but Ming was,theyd be royally pissed,and rightfully so.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 03-31-16 at 12:44 PM.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

He was great when healthy

Only guys that have a problem with this are the guys that haven't yet figured out what a joke the HOF already is

He's not the worst player in the Hall

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3507

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    He was great when healthy

Only guys that have a problem with this are the guys that haven't yet figured out what a joke the HOF already is

He's not the worst player in the Hall
    Like I said don't call it HOF,may aswell call it the NBA Development Museum.

RockBottom
    RockBottom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22623

His contributions were far more in helping grow basketball in China than anything he did here. His All Star selections were bogus as the Chinese were stuffing the fan ballots.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    This isn't the NBA hall of fame. It's the BASKETBALL hall of fame. Of course he'd make it.
    Is that right? Makes a world of difference then.

smoke a bowl

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    He made 0 first team all NBA's not that it matters there is no way he could ever beat out Shaq, and you dont have to to be an all time great.
    I read it wrong. Made 5 All NBA teams but none were 1st team.

play4win
    play4win's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5173

even kevin johnson made it. nice dunk on hakeem but hall of fame?

jmunzz1116
    jmunzz1116's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 680

Fact of the matter is this was a "politically correct" induction, it had absolutely NOTHING to do with his basketball skills. Just like affirmative action is bogus garbage giving people what they don't deserve this is the same thing. Sadly someone who actually deserved it missed out. Luckily it doesn't actually mean a damn thing.

smoke a bowl

Quote Originally Posted by jmunzz1116 View Post
    Fact of the matter is this was a "politically correct" induction, it had absolutely NOTHING to do with his basketball skills. Just like affirmative action is bogus garbage giving people what they don't deserve this is the same thing. Sadly someone who actually deserved it missed out. Luckily it doesn't actually mean a damn thing.
    I think there is more to making the Hall of Fame than performance on the court though that is obviously the biggest factor. He was an icon. A big part of basketball history. I don't think its right to compare this to affirmative action.

jtoler

I think there is more to making the Hall of Fame than performance on the court though that is obviously the biggest factor. He was an icon. A big part of basketball history. I don't think its right to compare this to affirmative action.
    Of course not, no correlation there.

smoke a bowl

Of course not, no correlation there.
    I think it's different is all. Possible small correlation but I think it's apples to oranges. Sure they are both fruits.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 420

Yao Ming, former star of the Houston Rockets, has been named as one of China's 'Ambassador to Mars'.

The ambassadors, 11 in total, will help encourage interest in China's 2020 unmanned mission to Mars along with promoting science and technology in the country, reports the People's Daily Online.

In August this year, a top official said the country had its sights fully set on the red planet and will send an unmanned craft to Mars in four years time.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/peop..._campaign=1490

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Helped nba grow game in Asia. Apparently that gives him hall status.
    Yep.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Meh, don't see the outrage. He was dominant, and his skills are HOFer worthy. I get the infatuation with stats, but I have no issue with it. Wouldn't be mad if he didn't make it. Mainly because it doesn't affect me, and the Basketball Hall has always been a bit lax. Rewarding people for more than just stats. He did a lot for the game.

jtoler

Politics as usual. I dont like that he got in, forgot all the ambassador crap, its about dominance, stats, and postseasons. He simply didnt play long enough, Im sorry people get injured or have setbacks, ailments etc. Its really too bad. China has almost 1.5 billion people so of course he helped grow the game there. Im sure Jeremy Lin did also. I dont think his pre-NBA career is enough to help get him in either.
    Last edited by jtoler; 10-11-16 at 06:16 PM.

First 12