seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Concussion is already gone in my city

It came out on Christmas day. That seems mighty quick. Could the NFL have something to do with it? Is it still playing in your neck of the woods????

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

saw it 1 week ago. i enjoyed it Ive been a bit anti NFL for a few reasons including that serious issue for about a decade . they have quite a bit of real NFL film footage (and some make believe clips as well depicting NFL but not real), I did wonder how they got approval for that real stuff (you know the old express written consent of NFL for footage). Anybody know??

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9990

Anyone here actually go see it? If not you may have your answer.

blackHIPPY
    THESE NIGGAS PLANKTON
    blackHIPPY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1610

i have no interest to watch a movie about football
    i have even less interest in watching a movie about football injuries

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8478

because it was a shitty movie. The 30 second trailer was better than the movie. A 20-minute segment on 20/20 would have suffice. Smith's character was not believable. Maybe his worst movie. I almost fell asleep.
    2/10

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16
    FlipsideRM's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3216

Looked like an awful movie, including will smith trying to pull off a Zimbabweesque voice over

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20469

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    because it was a shitty movie. The 30 second trailer was better than the movie. A 20-minute segment on 20/20 would have suffice. Smith's character was not believable. Maybe his worst movie. I almost fell asleep.
    2/10
    Maybe his old lady will boycott something if he doesn't win an award.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8478

Quote Originally Posted by FlipsideRM View Post
    Looked like an awful movie, including will smith trying to pull off a Zimbabweesque voice over
    Honestly I rather watch a Hillary Clinton speech or suffer a real concussion.
    Last edited by DwightShrute; 01-20-16 at 12:19 PM.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

I thought I was going to see it, but there is not a NFL team in my state, strickly a ncaa football state here. Might have something to do with it. I could see it being a bad watch. But I sure loved my self some Playmakers...................But the NFL shut it down after 1 season

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

As a football fan I've already tired of the concussion subject quite awhile ago. A full length movie on the subject is about the last thing I'd opt to see.

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Quote Originally Posted by trytrytry View Post
    Anybody know??
    Could be wrong but I think the Fair Use Act allows them to use footage...

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 131

That's odd, no one wants to watch a movie about the guy turning football into a flag football league? Shocker

RickyRoma
    RickyRoma's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 421

Looks like will Smith and his shitty accent destroyed what have shoulda been a moving flick. Too bad

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

Don't like Will Smith, dude is highly annoying imo....
    That said, I'll still watch it one day.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 420

The foundation, which studies concussions and brain injuries, said Wednesday that 138 of 152 former college football players studied at the Veterans Affairs-Boston University-Concussion Legacy Foundation brain bank have chronic traumatic encephalopathy, more commonly known as CTE.

CTE is a degenerative condition that can be caused by repeated head trauma. CTE can lead to memory loss, dementia and erratic behavior, though it can only be officially diagnosed by direct examination of the brain after death.

The disease and its connection to sports like football where head trauma can repeatedly occur became more common after an HBO “Real Sports” feature on the topic and “Concussion,” the movie starring Will Smith that was released in 2015.

The 91 percent of brains with CTE is similar to numbers released by the foundation in September 2015 regarding NFL players. The CLF said then that 96 percent of NFL players’ brains tested positive for CTE. The foundation said two-thirds of the former college players who were found to have CTE also played professionally.

It is, of course, imperative to note that the numbers are only relevant to the brains studied by the foundation. It’s reasonable to assume that the majority of brains for head trauma study are donated because of possible issues. But given the rate of discovery, it’s unreasonable to assume that CTE isn’t common among all people who have played football for a considerable amount of time.

http://snip.ly/wjwqw#http://sports.y...210027021.html

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

im all over this when it drops maybe even day 1

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 420

A promising athlete, 13-year-old Zackery Lystadt’s head hit the ground as he rolled through a routine tackle in 2006. He didn’t lose consciousness. But he did lie on the ground for a moment after the play, clutching the sides of his helmet. His coach took him out for two plays.

Then Lystadt played the rest of the game. At the closing whistle he collapsed and was rushed to the hospital, where he required emergency neurosurgery to relieve pressure inside his skull.

Today Lystadt is learning to walk again. The state of Washington created a new law in his name, sometimes known as the “shake it off” law, which requires players who show signs of concussion to be examined and cleared by a medical practitioner prior to re-entering a game.

But what about damage short of a concussion? What’s happening in the brains of kids who play football and don’t show outward signs of injury?

In the journal Radiology today, an imaging study shows that players ages 8 to 13 who have had no concussion symptoms still show changes associated with traumatic brain injury.

“We aren't out to destroy football, by any means,” he said. “This is the type of work that's going to save and help football going forward.”

He argues that about 70 percent of youth football players are playing outside of some national organization's oversight—like Pop Warner or USA Football. If such organizations had could make rules based on the latest research as it emerges—about what’s safe and what’s not—youth football might be a reasonable idea.

But as the game is currently played, today’s evidence isn’t reassuring. There’s a fallacy that comes up a lot in public health, and I think it’s happening here. We tend to let inertia influence our decisions. Instead of evaluating everything on its face, we keep doing what we’ve been doing until there’s blatant reason to stop. At this point I think we should be aware of that tendency, and revert to a place of proving that football can be played safely by kids before we keep letting them do it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...-heads/504863/

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14709

Did anyone see Spaceman?