Colin kaepernick to start next game.

Colin Kaepernick to start at quarterback for 49ers

Print

By Conor Orr
    Around The NFL Writer
    Published: Oct. 11, 2016 at 01:34 p.m.
    Updated: Oct. 11, 2016 at 02:07 p.m.

Colin Kaepernick is back.

After a four-game losing streak with Blaine Gabbert at the helm -- a stretch where the former first-round pick threw for just four touchdowns and six interceptions and posted an average quarterback rating of 65.1 -- the team is making a change, Chip Kelly announced on Tuesday. Kelly and the staff met earlier in the day to discuss a potential quarterback change.

Kelly said that the move had nothing to do with Kaepernick's soon-to-be altered contract status, which should negate some of the balky injury guarantees in his previous long-term deal. NFL Network's Mike Garafolo said that he's expected to sign the new deal before he steps on the field.

Business maneuvering aside, this was an expected development for a team that started the season with a resounding win over the Rams but face-planted in subsequent weeks. Kelly took the job knowing that he would have to comb the NFL, and likely the 2017 draft class, for his future quarterback. First, he'll have to cycle through the ones remaining on his bench.

Despite the near certainty that Gabbert would not start 16 games this year, there were many perceived obstacles in the way of Kaepernick's eventual comeback.

The quarterback underwent multiple surgeries this offseason and didn't have much of a presence during offseason workouts. Kelly said as recently as a week ago that Kaepernick was not heavy enough to take the field again. Kaepernick asserted that he was fine.

The surgeries underlined multiple attempts by Kaepernick to part ways and enter himself into an offseason quarterbacking carousel that saw Mark Sanchez head to Denver then Dallas, and Sam Bradford eventually head to Minnesota.

Instead, the 49ers held on to their one-time superstar in the hopes that they could potentially clear a path to the playing field, which is now much easier without the weight of salary cap crippling injury guarantees hanging over the organization.

A source told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport that Kaepernick was "just zipping the ball," signifying that his arm strength was close to normal even if his weight was not. However, Rapoport cautioned that Kaepernick has not been outplaying Gabbert in practice. The move is more about a potential spark than anything.

Kaepernick will make his debut against Bills head coach Rex Ryan, who said that while he understood Kaepernick's protest of the national anthem, he encouraged his players to stand as "a way of showing respect for the men and women who have served our country and are currently serving our country and that's kind of how I look at it."

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32138

Mediocre QB replaced by mediocre QB.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3369

Theirs a reason why Kaepernick was on the bench in the first place and it aint because he wasn't standing for the anthem.

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

Is he still boycotting academy awards or did they squash it

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 660

Quote Originally Posted by CWD View Post
    Is he still boycotting academy awards or did they squash it
    I don't think he really knows, he would have to ask his girlfriend

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

IDK, Buffalo playing inspired ball and a tough place to play, cross country as well. Early game.

Think I will be parlaying Buffalo ML on a few tickets. -8 now. Teaser option as well.

SomeDayinBuffalo
    SomeDayinBuffalo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1201

Might be a good spot for him to get his first start. Buffalo may look past this game with the three game win streak. Hope they don't.

unde0087
    Did we win?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeDayinBuffalo View Post
    Might be a good spot for him to get his first start. Buffalo may look past this game with the three game win streak. Hope they don't.
    I have the Bills defense, I like that he is starting now, turnover city

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7892

He'll afro interceptions

TiredPro
    TiredPro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Can he get a helmet on ?

actiondan
    actiondan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16563

Cousin Sal said the Buffalo fans should all sing the national anthem on every dropback, he'll take a knee
    Points Awarded:

KVB gave actiondan 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

RubberKettle gave actiondan 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

sportsfan9698 gave actiondan 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I think they win

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13197

what a fukked up situation for chip kelly can't wait for the post game interview

unde0087
    Did we win?

Quote Originally Posted by actiondan View Post
    Cousin Sal said the Buffalo fans should all sing the national anthem on every dropback, he'll take a knee
    Hopefully the first guy who sacks his ass kneels in his face and gives him a salute

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 292

Chip Kelly trying to save his job. Throw him to the wolves in Buffalo.

FreeFall
    FreeFall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2391

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Nah Kelly is fine for a while. He was given shit to work with so not really his fault. Hoping after Kaep sucks we can finally drop these shit QBs and start fresh. Rebuilding needs to happen.

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

i played him in draft kings so we will see

Jeff_Black
    Jeff_Black's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5068

Interesting time ahead, Weird to say buffalo have won three in a row despite being trash for the first two weeks but they beat a struggling cards, the patriots with Brissett and an inconsistent Rams team of the defense.
    If I can trust kaep to score points against buffalo id probably take the points but more likely a leave it game.

Buckandadime
    Act as if
    Buckandadime's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2353

Quote Originally Posted by actiondan View Post
    CLASSIC!!!! And I'm a Niners fan..

triplecrown333
    triplecrown333's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

i rather not have him start if i bet on buffalo, this rooster_eater is a wild card, at least with the other guy you know what youre gonna get...

Time is Money
    Time is Money's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6389

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Wolves? Bills D full of Huskies at best. Too banged up, think Kap can make some plays in Chips offense and SF stays within 7.5

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 158

could see him coming out strong. tough game in eastern time zone though.

unde0087
    Did we win?

Quote Originally Posted by Time is Money View Post
    Wolves? Bills D full of Huskies at best. Too banged up, think Kap can make some plays in Chips offense and SF stays within 7.5
    Chip doesn't have an offense

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

They basically told him if he wants to play he has to give up any injury protection. He must really want to play well so he can get a new deal somewhere else next season.

He should have told them to penetrate off and just hold the clipboard and keep cashing dem checks.

unde0087
    Did we win?

Quote Originally Posted by krk1030 View Post
    They basically told him if he wants to play he has to give up any injury protection. He must really want to play well so he can get a new deal somewhere else next season.

He should have told them to penetrate off and just hold the clipboard and keep cashing dem checks.
    He didn't sign the contract and if he doesn't sign then he is still protected. It shows his character, 49ers put up with all his bullshit and support him then when it comes time for him to renegotiate his contract knowing he doesn't deserve even half the money they are paying his worthless ass he won't come to the table. Real classy guy, but I guess he needs that money for hair supplies

stackz125
    stackz125's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 206

Pound San Fran Ml
    Statement game for Colin
    Points Awarded:

paco gave stackz125 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

Doesn't matter who they play QB, they only have 4th string WRs

sportsfan9698
    sportsfan9698's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 786

Not a popular pick, but I think SFO could win this game... but I will take the +7.5

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9589

Kaepernick renegotiates contract with Niners. Colin can roll out of The City
    at the end of the season...one year deal with player option for next year.
    No $14.5 Million injury guarantee from the last contract.

CK can only win if he performs well in Buffalo and going forward. ...doubtful w/ the present collection of WR's.

Team is fukked, The City is fukked and self-righteous, arrogant Bud York is laffing his ass off.
    No wonder Bud is either deeply disliked or wildly hated in The Bay Area. (Exception maybe Santa Clara.)

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 259

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick believes that the flag of the United States is nothing more than simply a piece of cloth.

“At the end of the day the flag is just a piece of cloth and I am not going to value a piece of cloth over people’s lives. That’s just not something I can do, it’s not something I feel morally right doing and my character won’t allow me to do that,” Kaepernick told reporters in response to criticism from Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, according to The Star.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/10/13/co...#ixzz4NC61aAFC

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 259

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11546

I'm sure Crapernick will stink it up.. Fading SF for sure now...

Kap is a jackass.

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13197

Don't let Kaep bury you though he's still better than a lot of these starting qbs

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

kap biggest scumbag in sports in a looooooooong time

this cloth comment wow im speechless

Bbfromgpt
    Cappin
    Bbfromgpt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4429

Quote Originally Posted by Git Lo View Post
    Don't let Kaep bury you though he's still better than a lot of these starting qbs

Naw, he's not. Not anymore. He's mentally weak and his skills have diminished significantly with his strength.

12 Last