Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Being able to run effectively can be the best friend to a average or weak qb. Play action is the great equalizer. Goff is exhibit A.

OL certainly was bad. Add in a huge contract for a bad qb and Zimmer probably wants out after 2019 anyways. He knows how to build a team. Parcells taught him enough to win at this level.
    Shit on Cousins all you want, but bad quarterbacks don't put up top 10 numbers in every main category at their position. If the Vikings can get their offensive line straightened out, they are going to be a dominant force. This year was very unbalanced where they could never seem to get a consistent run game going and the defense gave up huge plays throughout the beginning of the season, which required Cousins to throw the ball way too much. Cousins wasn't brought in to pass for 400 yards a game, he was brought in to complement what was supposed to be a solid team all around, which turned out to not be the case. Of course the easiest position to blame for a team's failure is the Quarterback.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Quote Originally Posted by thomorino View Post
    You can still win play defense and running the ball, look at Baltimore and Seattle. Minnesota's biggest problem is the front office, offensive line was bad this year.
    True

But Zimmer D was average at best this year

He cut 17 kicker, that cost us 2 wins

Oline never got right

Always played drom behind

17 Vikings always played from the lead

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    As a bengals fan, I know I wouldn't be thrilled to have this guy as a head coach. Absolutely no reason to think he can do it from what I've seen. But, I guess you have to hire somebody.
    I'd equate him to marvin lewis and singletary. Guys who shouldn't be head coaches.

There are not many coaches out there worse than marvin lewis actually, record speaks for itself. Not to mention the win he gave away early this year by not challenging a play that clearly would have been reversed, which would have gave the bengals the bye week in the playoffs. One of many, many terrible coaching mistakes he has made there.

Zimmer's equal.. and what's that?... a guy who took a defensive unit that was literally overflowing with talent. The sad reality is the only reason it worked so well is because when zimmer's wife died it brought the unit together.
    it's like I knew and still terrible his wife died but that certainly had an impact in the looker room. She used to bake them stuff and bring it.

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    True

But Zimmer D was average at best this year

He cut 17 kicker, that cost us 2 wins

Oline never got right

Always played drom behind

17 Vikings always played from the lead
    But Griffin going crazy and Rhodes getting hurt aren't on Zimmerm you guys look like you have some good young talent at corner, even though they got hurt also.

I think if you compare Minnesota's defense this year to last year they faced tougher offenses and because the offense wasn't as good this year that put more pressure on the defense.

I think Zimmer is a solid head coach but losing Shermur hurt and Zimmer and the Vikings were slightly overrated since the division was bad last year. The talk of Zimmer being the next Belichick was ridiculous, but he does seem solid, Vikings almost never beat themselves with turnovers.

Cousins isn't the answer though, he never wins big games, not as Michigan State, Washington, or Minnesota.

BuckyOne
    BuckyOne's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19285

Quote Originally Posted by thomorino View Post
    You can still win play defense and running the ball, look at Baltimore and Seattle. Minnesota's biggest problem is the front office, offensive line was bad this year.
    I agree - it is time for Spielman to go. Zimmer did follow his orders I think. Spielman must have said I am bringing in Cousins and here is your OC. So, if Zimmer was doing it Spielman’s way - it may not help to bring in a new coach?

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyOne View Post
    I agree - it is time for Spielman to go. Zimmer did follow his orders I think. Spielman must have said I am bringing in Cousins and here is your OC. So, if Zimmer was doing it Spielman’s way - it may not help to bring in a new coach?
    Yeah no doubt Zimmer signed off on the Cousins signing, I still think the biggest problem was the offensive line and running game, I think that's on Spielman.

BuckyOne
    BuckyOne's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19285

Well, yes, everything looks good on paper and all of a sudden 3 starters are down and the depth is weak on the O line. I think it was the Iowa Hawkeyes that were playing 12 defensive lineman. Rotate and Push and shove as hard as you can on every play and the goal is to wear the opponent down.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Shit on Cousins all you want, but bad quarterbacks don't put up top 10 numbers in every main category at their position. If the Vikings can get their offensive line straightened out, they are going to be a dominant force. This year was very unbalanced where they could never seem to get a consistent run game going and the defense gave up huge plays throughout the beginning of the season, which required Cousins to throw the ball way too much. Cousins wasn't brought in to pass for 400 yards a game, he was brought in to complement what was supposed to be a solid team all around, which turned out to not be the case. Of course the easiest position to blame for a team's failure is the Quarterback.
    Cousins could be throwing to Jerry Rice, Randy Moss and Gronk. Have Barry at rb and a HoF OL and he would still throw dumb ints and find ways to lose big games. He is not a winning qb and it is a shame the Vikings cost themselves any shot at a SB the day that they signed him.

First 12