coop
    coop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

Why do people think they can win...

Spending hours 'handicapping' games looking at different websites, posting stats, trends, etc that are available to the public?

If it's readily available to the public it CAN'T WIN. It's already been factored into the line x1000

spankie
    Long Live Rodney!
    spankie's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would be more worried about if you can trust your funds offshore or not.

Who cares if you win if you can't get paid. (Betislands)

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15319

I win and win BIG

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post
    Spending hours 'handicapping' games looking at different websites, posting stats, trends, etc that are available to the public?

If it's readily available to the public it CAN'T WIN. It's already been factored into the line x1000
    Ya, but different people put different emphasis on different stats. Its how you factor what you find into your capping that makes you a winner.

coop

Quote Originally Posted by spankie View Post
    I would be more worried about if you can trust your funds offshore or not.

Who cares if you win if you can't get paid. (Betislands)
    Betislands was a small book that was big strictly on this forum. I played there. I think people are blowing the panic out of proportion when it comes to places like 5Dimes. Mom & pop vs Walmart

coop

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    Ya, but different people put different emphasis on different stats. Its how you factor what you find into your capping that makes you a winner.
    I will agree with this, but finding and exploiting the factors on these websites that haven't been considered by books can be done by few and far between.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

I will agree with this, but finding and exploiting the factors on these websites that haven't been considered by books can be done by few and far between.
    No doubt. That's why very few make money gambling.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1842

Looking at the wrong sites anyway.

Some people like a challenge regardless if they win or not.

How fun is Sunday if you have nothing on the line?

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

please stay tuned to my post jan 1 or 2nd for all important information

coop

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post

I'm just saying: action is action. No need to waste your time spending hours scouring these types of sites for a winner.

Watch a lot of games, read the forum, go with your gut feeling. Go with factors that aren't quantifiable by statistics: injuries, new QBs, who you think Vegas is overrating, spot teams early on you think will be dominant or shitty and bet with or against them throughout a season, follow a few teams closely: watch their every game, follow the local beat writers and blogs, bet accordingly and without bias.

All better options then staring at stats and trends.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

NBA is irrelevant Nov until playoffs without spreads.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    I win and win BIG

Please. The only thing "big" about you is your grossly oversized sausage fingers.
    Points Awarded:

Kindred gave opie1988 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Kindred

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

JMon
    I'd be a lot cooler if you did.
    JMon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10742

The key to winning is situations and exploiting the lines the given to you. If you don't have those two..you simply don't play. It's no fun, barely any action, but simply discipline.

k13

I'm just saying: action is action. No need to waste your time spending hours scouring these types of sites for a winner.

Watch a lot of games, read the forum, go with your gut feeling. Go with factors that aren't quantifiable by statistics: injuries, new QBs, who you think Vegas is overrating, spot teams early on you think will be dominant or shitty and bet with or against them throughout a season, follow a few teams closely: watch their every game, follow the local beat writers and blogs, bet accordingly and without bias.

All better options then staring at stats and trends.
    Stats and Trends are two different things.

Team A is 7-4 ats when the grass is 3 inches and its a night in a dome when playing Team B the last 7 years. Useless.

Stats and Facts have a big enough sample and are relevant regardless of the situation.
    But yeah in the end most people spend too much time doing all this when they might as well be flipping a coin.

RudyRuetigger

Stats and Trends are two different things.

Team A is 7-4 ats when the grass is 3 inches and its a night in a dome when playing Team B the last 7 years. Useless.

Stats and Facts have a big enough sample and are relevant regardless of the situation.
    But yeah in the end most people spend too much time doing all this when they might as well be flipping a coin.

I gotta disagree.

the height of the grass plays more of a roll than anything that isnt factored in the line

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

You only spend hours pouring over data if you don't have a program to run the #'s and data mine for you. If you have a good program youre then at least close to a level playing field. Then most of the time is spent looking for angles to beat the book, not so much capping.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Exactly... Especially if your favorite team is not in playoff contention.

But you CAN win contrary to what the OP has said it just takes a ton of discipline, balls, hard work, and good fortune.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Why do books go out of business if bettors can't win? Betislands received millions of dollars worth of deposits they would not need a backer if they were winning. Cascade went out of business because they had low juice and big limits and got crushed. Many small books out of business because they give bonuses and move the lines slow.

RudyRuetigger

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    Why do books go out of business if bettors can't win? Betislands received millions of dollars worth of deposits they would not need a backer if they were winning. Cascade went out of business because they had low juice and big limits and got crushed. Many small books out of business because they give bonuses and move the lines slow.
    overhead, owners collecting, electricity, internet.

trust me, no small book ponies up 1 million, loses it all and closes up.. they close up with a profit in their pockets pal

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15319

How the fuk does a shit book not win

They post lines late
    They get +110 on every bet
    Since they just copy lines they employee no oddsmakers
    Customer service reps make $5.00/hr.
    They kick out winners
    They charge $70 for every payout request
    They have millions of post up player dollars they pay no interest on and can invest

Ernie Mccracken
    Ernie Mccracken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4304

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post

Greed induced mismanagement (ironic, given their customers), not because they're getting outcapped by Joe Hamburger.

k13

If big companies like GM have shitty management and are run into the ground, think what "minds" these little books have.......

dj_destroyer
    I'm +EV
    dj_destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 383

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    How the fuk does a shit book not win

They post lines late
    They get +110 on every bet
    Since they just copy lines they employee no oddsmakers
    Customer service reps make $5.00/hr.
    They kick out winners
    They charge $70 for every payout request
    They have millions of post up player dollars they pay no interest on and can invest
    The first and only post of any worth that you have penned.

Popcorn Trick
    Popcorn Trick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

Their payouts were free...plus, you took them to the woodshed I'm imagining.

Believeland
    The Dude minds
    Believeland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 922

My question is why do loser fuks like paulypoker and emily haines still post here..... Guys need to get help,"I bet 1 million dollars with my runners" loses comes back and says he bet 650k the next day. Paulypoker posts all in on steelers loses comes back with a lock the net day. Some of these guys on this forum are just straight up loser degenerates who lead sad lives. really just air bettors though.

On the topic though I dont look at website stats trends etc. I watch the games and try to get a feel for the teams, look at the lines and bet what feels right.

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

winning is easy.

Books that go out of business arent run correctly. Plus theyre also more or less gambling.

Most small time books dont have enough clientele to balance action anyway so theyre gambling just about every game, thats another reason why the small ones fail. Books also kick out 'sharp' guys trather than use them to help balance themselves off, or use them to get a heads up on what ay aline might move.

So if a book takes early action on -4, but every other book suddenly goes to -3 (with vig) so does that book on a total air move, so not only do they have money -4, but now theyre also more than likely going to get some -3. So theyre totally one way. Thats not book making thats being dumber and dumber, at least a 'square' bettor can cherry pick which games he wants to mush on, books like this get caught with their pants down all the time on a lot of games. Thats why these micky mouse joints dont post lines until everyone once else already has and there have been moves.

but even with all that books still make more money than they put out, they just are horribly mismanaged.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6898

Quote Originally Posted by dj_destroyer View Post
    The first and only post of any worth that you have penned.