mavs1978
    mavs1978's Avatar Become A Pro!

del mar

top picks thusday at del mar

race 1 #6 bridled honey-after seeing the action in the opening day on the all-surface track im going to operate under the premise that lightly raced horses are going to have an advantage... this track appears to be quite a grind...at least until the horses get used to the new surface. this horse has not raced since june 1 and and also ran a good race on keenlands all weather surface back in april.

race 2 #3 lightly race midnighter is racing third off a short lay off and gets the apprentice talamo here.. good spot

race 7 #6 railroad comes off a nice month and a half layoff and should be ready here today..he has run his best first off layoffs and could put up a big number today

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9438

Watched the Wednesday replays and the final times were really slow. 1:13 for 6 furlongs and a couple 1:20s for 6 1/2 furlongs. Going to keep watching for a while.

Weekend stakes action looks kinda weak, but I think Buzzards Bay is beatable in the San Diego on Saturday. I like Arson Squad but he disappeared after a nice win in the winter, so might not be ready to fire.

Less than a week to Saratoga.

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1640

Sunday I was able to actually walk on the new track surface.It was strange. My preceptions were as followed. Some horses will not handle it. The wax coating seemed to be slippy and sticky.My shoes had a layer of polytrack on the bottom of my soles once I returned to the apron. It didn't seem uniform across the track. Some lanes were matted down were as other lanes were sprongy like. My idea is that there will be a good part of the track on be on during a race. Slower times create an the situation were the ability to actually "race ride " will be an important factor in the outcome of the races. I'm veiwing from the sidelines for now, hoping to discover a $ making angle before the public catches on.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9438

I know the polytrack is better for horses, but I don't think Del Mar and Saratoga should go this route. Del Mar obviously done, no plan for Saratoga to follow.

Main reason is they only run for 6 weeks. Why mess with your regular surface for that short a meet. I can understand at Hollywood, or even if Belmont did it.