lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

Historical Halftime Data (NBA)

Guys, I am in the process of building a database and was curious if somebody could tell me were to get past halftime lines in the NBA. Maybe as far back as 10yrs. Is this possible or is this something you just have to start doing on your own? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Flying Dutchman
    Floggings continue until morale improves
    Flying Dutchman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 759

I don't think these things are available. BUT, if they are and you need bux to help cover costs, PM me as I like to get them too.

lyon804

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
    I don't think these things are available. BUT, if they are and you need bux to help cover costs, PM me as I like to get them too.

Yea, it would be helpful to have them. Nevertheless I will carry on. If I find what I am looking for I will let you know. Otherwise I will begin next season compiling the data myself.

FreeFall
    FreeFall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2391

any idea where to get 2nd half lines?

TakeIt
    TakeIt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25415

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
    any idea where to get 2nd half lines?
    you can get them at covers.com, but as far as i know you have to access them one game at a time.

covers>nba>live odds>1st half>2nd half (far right, about 1/3 of the way down)

lyon804

Quote Originally Posted by TakeIt View Post
    you can get them at covers.com, but as far as i know you have to access them one game at a time.

covers>nba>live odds>1st half>2nd half (far right, about 1/3 of the way down)

It doesn't appear you can go back and find past game 2H odds.

TakeIt

Quote Originally Posted by lyon804 View Post
    It doesn't appear you can go back and find past game 2H odds.
    i think you're right. you used to be able to. but they all say "off" now.

i've also wanted to do some research regarding 1st and 2nd half totals, but as you've discovered it's harder than hell to find the data.

it appears the only way to get it now is to find someone who already has the data and is willing to share (or sell).

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

You've got to remember these forums take and make big money from the books. They pass a lot of information back to them and if something is posted that gives away too much info, it is made transient (today's stats only) or taken down entirely.

YOU are the mark. They make money off YOU. This entire industry is based on getting money out of your pockets, and into the books. You think you are getting a "free" service where in fact they are data mining info for the books.

Don't believe it? Whose ads are at the top of the page of any sports forums? You don't see any "sponsored by the posters of XYZ forum" anywhere do you?

egr99
    egr99's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by lyon804 View Post
    Guys, I am in the process of building a database and was curious if somebody could tell me were to get past halftime lines in the NBA. Maybe as far back as 10yrs. Is this possible or is this something you just have to start doing on your own? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    10years no...

Current year as I posted in previous thread....

Ok, I was looking for this data for awhile and I have found it. If you get a package like sportsoptions it has it all obviously.

On the net, the best I have found is the following

Game 1H/2H: vegasinsider -> nba -> click scores -> pick date -> under each box score there is "line movement"
    Game Side/Total & 2H Side/Total openers & closers: donbest site -> nba - > scores -> pick date -> under each box score there is "summary". This one only goes for current season...

Alternatively, you can get a line service and pull the data out on archived lines or contact them if they are willing to run a report for you at a cost.
    egr99
    Points Awarded:

lyon804 gave egr99 8 SBR Point(s) for this post.

lyon804

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    You've got to remember these forums take and make big money from the books. They pass a lot of information back to them and if something is posted that gives away too much info, it is made transient (today's stats only) or taken down entirely.

YOU are the mark. They make money off YOU. This entire industry is based on getting money out of your pockets, and into the books. You think you are getting a "free" service where in fact they are data mining info for the books.

Don't believe it? Whose ads are at the top of the page of any sports forums? You don't see any "sponsored by the posters of XYZ forum" anywhere do you?

Thank you Wrectangle! I couldn't agree more. I have read many threads here and it is obvious from some slippage from one book owner in general (RW) that there is information about us being passed. This one book owner in general knows our personal identity. How else would he know that?

I could be the "MARK" if we was talking about anything other than NBA handicapping. I have done well over the years in that venue, but I am looking to step up to the next level and streamline my knowledge by using a large database that I can query from paramaters I have used in the past and hopefully learn many more angles by having a database to pull from. I am currently parsing 10 yrs worth of data and I will start feeding it to the DB soon. My real intention is to maintain my win % over a larger amount of games next year. The sky is the limit and I am encouraged that I can do this.

lyon804

Quote Originally Posted by egr99 View Post
    10years no...

Current year as I posted in previous thread....

[/font]

[/font]Alternatively, you can get a line service and pull the data out on archived lines or contact them if they are willing to run a report for you at a cost.
    egr99

Thank you egr99 for posting this. I will definitely look into it over the weekend.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

lyon, get a free trial of Don Best.

lyon804

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyF0cker View Post
    lyon, get a free trial of Don Best.

Thanks MF! I appreciate your response.

Pancho sanza
    Pancho sanza's Avatar Become A Pro!

Don Best has them, you have to go game by game though, very tedious.

highnine
    highnine's Avatar Become A Pro!

here is a some data

partial year but will save some clicks on don best
    Attached Files
    Points Awarded:

lyon804 gave highnine 7 SBR Point(s) for this post.

curious
    curious's Avatar Become A Pro!

nbastuffer might have what you need

http://www.nbastuffer.com/component/...task,cat_view/
    Points Awarded:

lyon804 gave curious 7 SBR Point(s) for this post.

lyon804

Quote Originally Posted by highnine View Post
    partial year but will save some clicks on don best

Thank you! Did you start doing this also and get tired of fooling with it?

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post

Thanks Curious! Glad to see you around.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Lyon I like what your doing here.

Remember though when the league structure changes next year with the big free agents your going to manually adjust yoru models

for example if wade and amare teamed up in miami i think you should try and track down all the bulls lines from the year they went 72-10. I think the spreads will be very similar if those two teamed up and see how often they covered.

Flying Dutchman

Curious, I guess I'm missing it, can you tell me exactly where the 2nd half lines are? Thanks.

curious
    curious's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
    Curious, I guess I'm missing it, can you tell me exactly where the 2nd half lines are? Thanks.
    I was sending you NBAStuffer general info. You'll have to look around to find what you want.

I have written to them before and asked for specific stats and they sold me what I wanted. You might try that.

Flying Dutchman

I was sending you NBAStuffer general info. You'll have to look around to find what you want.

I have written to them before and asked for specific stats and they sold me what I wanted. You might try that.
    OK, thanks curious. Yeah, I do know them, as NBA is a specialty of mine. Everything they have posted I already have, but in better detail and longer dbs. But I'll post them and see what they have.

After Don Best was bought out by Heist...er...Feist I made it a point to never darken their door again no matter what. I simply won't deal with flesh eaters. Carrion like Monkey may go there, but it is a point of honer with me. However that said, I'll happily receive anything that other folks might get and will give something of value back in compensation.

highnine

[QUOTE=lyon804;5013995]Thank you! Did you start doing this also and get tired of fooling with it?

No, it is just what i have. i enter the 2H in my db usually when i am betting nba which is only Dec-Feb andi can easily enter from a line service, otherwise it is from don best scoreboard archive. 2009 i went back thru don best and put them in to the beginning of the season. 2010 i didnt. i believe the db archives line is from CRIS or it used to be. if i entered from db, it is the 2h open number. if from line service it was Greek and usually early morning so it was a closing 2h number. so they are inconsistent as to source and timing.

highnine

man that was alot of clicks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by highnine; 06-14-10 at 09:30 PM.
    Points Awarded:

IrishTim gave highnine 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

bolekblues gave highnine 10 SBR Point(s) for this post.

lyon804

Thank you so much for giving all that info and the source. I got it all downloaded and if I get something productive out of it you certainly will be included.

highnine

happy to help. i'll post a new data file after the final game on thu. and i didnt click thru all the links, i scraped
    Points Awarded:

lyon804 gave highnine 7 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Pancho sanza
    Pancho sanza's Avatar Become A Pro!

Are those lines from CRIS?

Thanks

lyon804

happy to help. i'll post a new data file after the final game on thu. and i didnt click thru all the links, i scraped

That was very thoughtful and I certainly I appreciate it and I am sure others in this forum will as well.

highnine

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho sanza View Post
    Are those lines from CRIS?

Thanks
    don best score archives
    i think it is from CRIS, at least it was a few years back when i checked it. have not confirmed it recently.

IrishTim
    IrishTim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

don best score archives
    i think it is from CRIS, at least it was a few years back when i checked it. have not confirmed it recently.
    What would one have to do to get the scores attached to that file?

highnine

final update

this has the last part of 2010.
    Attached Files

highnine

Quote Originally Posted by IrishTim View Post
    What would one have to do to get the scores attached to that file?
    what exactly are you asking for? second half points scored, scores by quarter, game scores? all available out there if you look for them.

IrishTim
    IrishTim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

what exactly are you asking for? second half points scored, scores by quarter, game scores? all available out there if you look for them.
    Points by quarter would be best. I know it's out there, just figured I'd ask. Thanks for the file.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Thanks highnine, let me know if there is something you are looking for.

perlypython
    perlypython's Avatar Become A Pro!

Do you need a free trial of Don Best to access the historical halftime data? When I was going through past scores, many days either had no information available or were missing summaries for the given games (here, for example).

TakeIt

this has the last part of 2010.
    how do you open this file so it doesn't appear as gibberish?

12 Last