bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

UFC champion and challenger suspended a year after failed drug tests

SACRAMENTO, Calif -- Ultimate Fighting lightweight champion Sean Sherk and challenger Hermes Franca received one-year suspensions and were fined $2,500 each by the California State Athletic Commission on Thursday for failing drug tests after their July 7 bout at UFC 73.

Sherk tested positive for nandrolone metabolites while Franca tested positive for drostanolone. Both are types of steroids, according to the commission. Franca admitted using a banned substance in a statement provided to MMAWeekly.com.

Sherk has filed an appeal, said Armando Garcia, the commission's executive officer, that will be heard at the commission's meeting in Los Angeles on Aug. 6.

''Our policy on fighters using steroids, illegal drugs or any banned substance remains the same - you cannot use them,'' UFC president Dana White said in a statement. ''It's not only unhealthy and unsafe, it is against the law. The UFC fully supports the commission's efforts and we will continue to take measures that keep this sport clean and keep the athletes safe.''

A UFC spokeswoman declined comment on whether the fighters would face additional sanctions from the organization. The suspension handed out by the California commission is nationwide, Garcia said.

Sherk won a five-round unanimous decision over Franca.

According to Franca's statement, he was desperate for a paycheck and tried to accelerate healing from an ankle injury.

''I made a decision during a difficult time in my training for the fight that I regret,'' he said.

Sherk didn't return a call seeking comment.

PatrickSports
    PatrickSports's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well whatever Sherk was on was better since it enabled him to withstand a knee to the face at the beginning of every round. Good news for Kenny Florian I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    SACRAMENTO, Calif -- Ultimate Fighting lightweight champion Sean Sherk and challenger Hermes Franca received one-year suspensions and were fined $2,500 each by the California State Athletic Commission on Thursday for failing drug tests after their July 7 bout at UFC 73.

Sherk tested positive for nandrolone metabolites while Franca tested positive for drostanolone. Both are types of steroids, according to the commission. Franca admitted using a banned substance in a statement provided to MMAWeekly.com.

Sherk has filed an appeal, said Armando Garcia, the commission's executive officer, that will be heard at the commission's meeting in Los Angeles on Aug. 6.

''Our policy on fighters using steroids, illegal drugs or any banned substance remains the same - you cannot use them,'' UFC president Dana White said in a statement. ''It's not only unhealthy and unsafe, it is against the law. The UFC fully supports the commission's efforts and we will continue to take measures that keep this sport clean and keep the athletes safe.''

A UFC spokeswoman declined comment on whether the fighters would face additional sanctions from the organization. The suspension handed out by the California commission is nationwide, Garcia said.

Sherk won a five-round unanimous decision over Franca.

According to Franca's statement, he was desperate for a paycheck and tried to accelerate healing from an ankle injury.

''I made a decision during a difficult time in my training for the fight that I regret,'' he said.

Sherk didn't return a call seeking comment.

goldengoat
    goldengoat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

the bad news for kenflo is that bj penn is going after the lightweight title

and he'll probably get it too

Nightwolfkicksaz
    Nightwolfkicksaz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kenflo is one of the best fighters out there that looks like a pussy.

moneyplays
    moneyplays's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolfkicksaz View Post
    Kenflo is one of the best fighters out there that looks like a pussy.
    He's overrated. BJ will f\*\*k him up.
    Last edited by moneyplays; 09-20-07 at 01:08 AM.

goldengoat
    goldengoat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

i don't think ken flo is overrated at all

the guy is for real

hopefully bj works on his gas tank

that would be a good fight to watch although i think bj is better in all areas except kicks....kenflo probably has the bigger gas tank though

Hounds
    Hounds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

nick diaz for the win. that gomi fight was absolutely incredible. it's total bullshit that he got suspended for pot. some bozo's were claiming that it could make him immune to pain. i have a simple request: smoke some and stub your toe and see how it feels... dumbasses