NL West (SFG/COL 4-2)

Who’s in last?
    AL East (NYY/BAL 2-4)
    AL Central (MIN 1-5)
    AL West (TEX 2-5)
    NL East (PHI 1-5)
    NL Central (PIT 1-6)
    NL West (SND 1-4)

Unexpectedly good starts: Got to go with Detroit at 5-1 and Colorado at 4-2. The Tigers had a pretty amazing week overall, playing error free ball and not missing a perfect week by much with Sunday’s loss at Texas (see below). Chris Shelton poked five homers on the week for Detroit, and rookie hurler Justin Verlander tossed 2-hit, 2-walk, 7-K ball in Arlington. The Rockies might really be the top pick here based on the parks they started their season in. Coors and Petco just might be the most opposite style stadiums these days, and the Rox showed off pitching in a pair of games at Colorado and some offense during a 3-game sweep in San Diego. One could imagine Detroit coming out a bit fast in their first year under manager Jim Leyland. But Colorado’s performance was an even bigger surprise, and they bear watching early on here.

And the dogs bark…: Many will like the 2-&-4 Yanks as last week’s biggest dogs. And you could give it to fellow ALE cellar dweller Baltimore based almost solely on Daniel Cabrera’s Friday night debacle. The Phillies and the Twins are certainly supposed to be much better than 1-4 and 1-5 teams. And the Pirates (1-6) might have the worst record, but they weren’t supposed to contend this year. No, the first dogs of the 2006 season just have to be the Texas Rangers. After predicting they were a lock for the mid-to-upper 80s in wins and an AL West challenger, there’s no excuse for a 2-5 start at home. Buck Showalter just might be lead horse on the Who’s 1st to be Fired List.

Injury News: The Dodgers hit it hard in the opening week, losing both Nomar Garciaparra and Eric Gagne to the DL. The good news there is the Dodgers should be able to cover both injuries fairly easily with relievers Danys Baez, Yhancy Brazoban and Lance Carter, plus I’m all over the early Hong-Chih Kuo import. He had a rude opener, but will settle into one of the game’s best lefty relievers from here on out. LA called up prospect James Loney to play some first, and Olemdo Saenz could fill in there as well.

Early MVPs: Considering Chris Shelton is on pace to hit more than 100 HR, I’ll give the AL award to him. And if the Astros are going to play .667 ball all year with Brad Lidge getting a save in 75% of those wins, let’s see, that’s 162 times .667, carry the one, round down, 81 saves. I’m no expert, but I’m thinking that if a reliever can save a team to .500 by himself, that’s probably going to draw the attention of the 'experts' that vote on the eventual honors.

Quote(s) of the Week: "I think it's good news He'll begin throwing a ball in three weeks, and in six weeks, get in a game. Those are guesses, a week one way or the other. I don't think it will be longer than six to eight weeks." --- Dr. Frank Jobe who performed the surgery on Gagne.

“No, the Marlins coming here doesn’t make much sense at all. And yet, we almost can count on a big-league opening day here within the next few years.” --- San Antonio Express-News columnist David King, 09 Apr 2006.

"We are going to try very hard to keep this team in Florida, and I promise you I will do everything I can to make sure the Marlins will be the Florida Marlins for generations to come." --- MLB Commissioner Bud Selig.

How’d I do?: I proved to myself once again that I simply cannot make heads or tails of what my own beloved Astros might do. The only two times I felt real strong about them this week, Friday and Saturday, I was wrong. I always feel pretty good with Roy Oswalt on the hill, so I might assuage myself a bit with taking a little credit for the Opening Day 1-0 win. But I blew Friday and Saturday like nobody’s business. Other than my two Astros losses and a 1-3 Opening Day, I did ok on the week.

What’s on tap?: The lowly KC Royals travel to the Bronx this week, so the Yankees have a golden opportunity to dig themselves out of the 2-4 hole they start in … The Brewers will be in St. Louis for three games (Mon, Wed-Thu) in a series between what could be the top two teams in the NL Central this season. Pitching matchups are Ohka v. Mulder, Bush v. Marquis and Davis v. Suppan … Barry Bonds and the Giants will get to swing their sticks against Astros starters Buchholz, Backe and Oswalt (Tue-Thu) in San Fran … Weekend series that bear watching are Texas at Oakland, San Fran at LA, Milwaukee at the Mets and Cleveland at Detroit … Next Friday (Apr 14) has some dandy pitching confrontations. Moyer (SEA) at Schilling (BOS); Westbrook (CLE) at Verlander (DET); Capuano (MIL) at Glavine (NYM); Peavy (SND) at Smoltz (ATL); Pettitte (HOU) at Webb (ARZ); Millwood (TEX) at Zito (OAK) and Schmidt (SFG) at Penny (LAD).
    Last edited by Willie Bee; 04-10-06 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

willie bee, lets not forget about the chipper jones injury yesterday.

Manager Bobby Cox said he didn't consider the injuries to be serious, but that the Braves would give Jones a couple of days off and re-examine him Wednesday in Atlanta. That means Jones would miss the team's home opener Monday against the Philadelphia Phillies.

BigDaddy
    BigDaddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 729

Good Stuff!

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm getting some intense vibes from the Cleveland Injuns that something good is happening there.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by Mudcat
    I'm getting some intense vibes from the Cleveland Injuns that something good is happening there.
    I had that feeling in the second half of last season. That feeling is still there.