bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Randolph predicts a special season

YOU GOTTA LOVE THIS ONE IMG.

Randolph predicts `special season'

February 23, 2006

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (AP) -- New York Mets manager Willie Randolph predicted his team is embarking on a "special season."

"I say special because that can mean a lot of things in a lot of different ways," he said Thursday, when the Mets held their first full-squad workout of spring training. "It just means that we've hopefully moved up the ladder a little bit, and we'll hopefully get where we want to be."

New York went 83-79 last season in its first season under Randolph after adding Pedro Martinez and Carlos Beltran. Preparing for this year, the Mets signed closer Billy Wagner and acquired first baseman Carlos Delgado from Florida.

"I think that right now it's good to take baby steps," third baseman David Wright said. "Obviously, the goal at hand is to win the division."

Martinez's ailing toe could have a lot to do with whether the Mets unseat Atlanta atop the NL East.

The three-time Cy Young Award winner might drop off the Dominican Republic's team in the World Baseball Classic because of the injury. He still hasn't pitched off a mound in spring training and said Thursday he will definitely miss the first round of the tournament.

"Our understanding is that Pedro, very frankly, is doubtful," said Gene Orza, the No. 2 official of the players' association. "It's still possible he will play, but I think it's at best 50-50 right now."

As for the Mets, Randolph addressed the team Thursday morning -- and Wright felt energized.

"You feel a certain energy, you feel an excitement that not a lot of other clubs probably have," he said. "It makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up to just feel and be a part of that, to look around the room and see Carlos Delgado, and see Cliff Floyd, Carlos Beltran -- see all these guys feeling it, feeling the energy. It was unbelievable."

After practice, Randolph said the Mets are off to a good start.

"I feel real good about the shape most of the guys are in," Randolph said. "I'm excited."

While Martinez didn't leave the clubhouse, second baseman Kaz Matsui nearly homered off Wagner in batting practice. Matsui batted in a group with Jose Reyes, Paul Lo Duca and Delgado, and Matsui was the only one to get a hit off the closer.

"Being it's early, he probably just got lucky and walked into one," Randolph joked.

Matsui will need a solid spring training to retain the starting job at second base, a position Randolph said is wide open.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Is there any team out there that could've added the likes of Beltran, Martinez, Wagner and Delgado the last two years and NOT think they were going to have a 'special season?'

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

with all that talent the Mets have right now they should win that division hand down.
    problem why they won't though is simple. they have way too many self centered ego's on that team, which will come into play at some point during the season.