Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Wow, Ashley Barty retired from tennis

Just stunning, clear #1 player in the world on women's side.

Brock Landers

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32174

Orbison
    Orbison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 153408

so she's retiring basically because she's poorly conditioned? they can't find her a world class trainer and dietician?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I don’t think she ever liked tennis

That’s how you retire on top

asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30352

Maybe she wants to play cricket again

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I don’t think she ever liked tennis

That’s how you retire on top

wombat
    wombat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11420

Wow, she had at least 10 slams left in her and become one of the greatest all time.

ELNATURAL
    ELNATURAL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9846

She knows the world is coming to an end

I heard she is taking up scuba with Tiger Woods

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11105

Retired at 25. Probably made around $25 million. Not bad. Now she can do other things.

I have a niece that was the #1 tennis player under 16 when she was 14. She was on covers of magazines and had offers to all the top colleges. She went to a top school, declined the scholarship (my brother is loaded) and played for 2 years. She could have gone pro, she played and beat all these girls you see now. Then gave it all up to be a fashion designer. That college had her face on the cover of their brochures and she quit playing tennis. I must say that she may end up making more money in fashion. She's been all over the world working with top designers that love her. All the top models know her and ask her for fashion advice. Crazy

Tennis is a grind. It's non stop and you basically have no life. It's hard to make the really big bucks and the expenses are outrageous. Most of the girls in the top 100 are barely making it. You really have to be like a top 20 to make a great living.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32174

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Retired at 25. Probably made around $25 million. Not bad. Now she can do other things.

I have a niece that was the #1 tennis player under 16 when she was 14. She was on covers of magazines and had offers to all the top colleges. She went to a top school, declined the scholarship (my brother is loaded) and played for 2 years. She could have gone pro, she played and beat all these girls you see now. Then gave it all up to be a fashion designer. That college had her face on the cover of their brochures and she quit playing tennis. I must say that she may end up making more money in fashion. She's been all over the world working with top designers that love her. All the top models know her and ask her for fashion advice. Crazy

Tennis is a grind. It's non stop and you basically have no life. It's hard to make the really big bucks and the expenses are outrageous. Most of the girls in the top 100 are barely making it. You really have to be like a top 20 to make a great living.
    She must be hot as fuk, Macker?

Good for her.

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Definitely overrated. She won’t be missed.

jjgold

Many girls caving into the pressure of Pro Tennis

These girls have too many people around them now, years ago great players had maybe one coach and nobody else was at matches

"Teams" so silly tennis

SamsNCharge99
    5x POTM. 2x Video maker of the year
    SamsNCharge99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6404

3 grand slams 11-0 this year and 22-0 in sets.

#4 all time for weeks at #1

shocking for sure

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Probably on meds or hormones

Will change mind in a week

Typical crazy broad

jjgold

She was no legend not even close

Was good for a small amount of time that is not a legend

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

She wanted to retire after last year's Wimbledon as that was her dream but felt it'd be fitting to retire after the Aus Open win or lose. She's newly engaged, building her dream home in a very normal suburb she grew up in and never has to work again at 25 if she doesn't want to. But she will. Just on different things and good on her!

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    She wanted to retire after last year's Wimbledon as that was her dream but felt it'd be fitting to retire after the Aus Open win or lose. She's newly engaged, building her dream home in a very normal suburb she grew up in and never has to work again at 25 if she doesn't want to. But she will. Just on different things and good on her!
    Good for her. Get married have a family, have a great life. Don't have to worry about all the celebrity crap.

but it's hard to stay retired. Tennis will always be in her blood. Tennis is like boxing. Hard for people to give up because you've had to train all your life and you always wonder what could have been.

wombat
    wombat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11420

Even money she comes back within 3 years.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47642

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Even money she comes back within 3 years.
    Agreed, she is young enough to make a comeback at some point years down the line.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19551

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post

This is wrong. In 2019, 44 women made $1 million or more, 141 made 250k or more and 224 made 100k or more (including doubles and mixed doubles). This doesn't include money from endorsements or from wearing a logo on one's shirt while playing matches. It's doubtful that most of those women could earn that much doing anything else.

Brock Landers

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    This is wrong. In 2019, 44 women made $1 million or more, 141 made 250k or more and 224 made 100k or more (including doubles and mixed doubles). This doesn't include money from endorsements or from wearing a logo on one's shirt while playing matches. It's doubtful that most of those women could earn that much doing anything else.
    Your figures don't include expenses

Travel, coaches, lodging

Those aren't free
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave Brock Landers 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jjgold

Most tennis players don’t have much money unbelievable expenses

The analyst on the Tennis Channel talk about it all the time it’s not that lucrative unless you’re a really good player

Too hard to make comebacks anymore especially in tennis even if she’s like 27 or 28 won’t win
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave jjgold 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

MBENZ
    MBENZ's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10443

Hate to see her go.One of a very few that just played without the crying and tantrums.

Maizey
    Maizey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9862

Quote Originally Posted by MBENZ View Post
    Hate to see her go.One of a very few that just played without the crying and tantrums.
    Agreed, total class act and damn good. She dealt with her stress and mental issues the right way, taking time off when needed instead of bringing it to the court and begging the world for sympathy.

MT Casings
    MT Casings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 589

She might be back. She took a hiatus from tennis 2014-2016 to play Cricket. I agree she did have a few Grand Slams left to win.

Maizey
    Maizey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9862

Quote Originally Posted by MT Casings View Post
    She might be back. She took a hiatus from tennis 2014-2016 to play Cricket. I agree she did have a few Grand Slams left to win.
    Martina Navratilova thinks no way. I kind of agree. It’s a huge merry-go-round for her and I don’t think she’ll ever want to get back on. I’m very happy that she won the AO for her country if that turns out to be her last match.

jjgold

She’ll never be back she never liked tennis

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

I think she'll come back.

Tennis is a grind yes but life is a grind as well for normal folks. That's why the saying always goes, work long hours when you are young. Shouldn't be complaining about that. I have been working 70 hrs a week since I was 18, i would imagine a lot of us here have been, and we don't get to play a game. She can do what she wants of course but do not make it seem like what you are doing is a chore and so stressful, you are playing a game at the end of the day and you are not slaving away waiting for your next paycheck just so you can pay your mortgage.

The young ppl today don't understand that you really do not know what you have till it is gone and it sports it can be gone very quick, so you want to take advantage of that, push yourself, win as much as you can, make as much money as you can, 25 million is a lot of money but its not enough money when you are the best female tennis player on the planet. She is worth more and has the chance to provide so much for her family and country, but 25 million is not enough to put a smile on too many faces except her own.

jjgold

Good post goater

Money doesn’t put a smile on anybody’s faces it does not even remotely equate to being happy

She’ll never come back and even if she does it’ll be a flop tennis comebacks all fail
    Points Awarded:

stake1 gave jjgold 3 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: stake1

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19551

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Your figures don't include expenses

Travel, coaches, lodging

Those aren't free
    I'm aware of that but that kind of money combined with endorsements still equals big time cash.

Brock Landers

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Good post goater

Money doesn’t put a smile on anybody’s faces it does not even remotely equate to being happy

She’ll never come back and even if she does it’ll be a flop tennis comebacks all fail
    People that say money can't buy happiness, don't have any

Look at the fuckin smile on my face, ear to ear baby
    Last edited by shari91; 03-24-22 at 05:35 AM.

Mac4Lyfe

By the time you take out taxes and expenses MOST of these women barely eek out a living. I know it seems strange but $250k earnings is broke in the tennis world.

Mac4Lyfe

I'm aware of that but that kind of money combined with endorsements still equals big time cash.
    I think my niece was paying $300 to $400 a month for racket stringing. She finally found a sponsor to pay I think for all of it. The only reason she could play tennis was that she came from wealth. She never turned pro but many of her friends did/have and were not bringing in the cash. These were top level girls. Maybe the market has gone up the last few years but I was shocked to learn that even though they were making money, their expenses were ridiculous.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

She's not coming back to tennis at least. It's well known here... she's going to focus on Indigenous Engagement at some point as she's Aboriginal and also another sport after her wedding some time down the road. But first she really wants to spend time with her family and fiance. She's done with tennis 100%, as far as playing it at least.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    She's not coming back to tennis at least. It's well known here... she's going to focus on Indigenous Engagement at some point as she's Aboriginal and also another sport after her wedding some time down the road. But first she really wants to spend time with her family and fiance. She's done with tennis 100%, as far as playing it at least.
    Sherry she has been home at least six months since Sept 15th

She never liked the pressure of tennis and said NO MORE